Engravings Vs Stamps

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
SSB,

just a general easy question for you. What is the difference between the Stamps and Engravings? What can you offer from each of them in terms of choice?

Good question Dent I was a little confused on the difference too.

SSB,

just a general easy question for you. What is the difference between the Stamps and Engravings? What can you offer from each of them in terms of choice?

Actually this is a great question and something I was going to address. Basically we can do both. Our pricing(which will come later with specials for you guys) includes all of the stamping you could want on your putter. For "custom" items we offer two options. We can have a stamp custom made(cheaper most of the time, unless what you want is very detailed) and custom engraving. With custom engraving you have two charges. A one time set-up fee of anywhere from 30-60 dollars. This is what we are charged and do not make any extra money on this. Then you have a charge for each location and how much time is involved in the engraving. So total cost for engraving a putter can range from as low as 50 dollars to as high as 130 dollars.

So in short, we really only do engraving for really detailed requests. I have a shield of a fraternity I just did that the cost was 120.00 which included the set-up charges. Your best bet is to have a custom stamp made, this can range from 40-150 dollars and if the stamp is something we can use again we will help out with the charge splitting or eating most of the cost ourself.

We want our putters to have personality and be one of a kind for each person so we do not do engraving of simple letters(as the costs associated are too high) and we want to make putters that are unique to each individual.

Hopefully that answered all of your questions. If I missed something shoot me an e-mail and I can give you a call or direct anything I may have missed to me and I will try to answer it.

I personally like the look of the handstamp... I feel that an engraving becomes very uniform and has a very finished look. The handstamp has character and shows the hand of the creator... that is what I love about a quality handstamp!

But there is something to be said about a personalized engraving and many do like the quality and "finished" look. But cost wise it is not always feasible.

SO just to clear this up, an engraving is done by hand and a stamp is something already made and then stamped into the putter by machine?

I think so, Dent. Maybe someone has some photos to show the difference?

SO just to clear this up, an engraving is done by hand and a stamp is something already made and then stamped into the putter by machine?

Not really, sort of the other way around. Usually engraving is done by a machine to a preset pattern(hence the digitizing "setup" charge).

But they can both be done by hand or machine. You see the guys engraving the winners name in to the Claret Jug during the British Open. If it were hand stamped they would be pounding preset letters in to it.

I'd say that engravings are done by a machine and give you that clean, automated look... as supposed to handstamp where it can be very hard to keep every letter in a perfect line and uniform and what not

I really like the clean look. I'd probably prefer an engraving If I was gaming it, and Stamps If I were framing it.

Thanks for clearing that up DD & Craig.

I really like the clean look. I'd probably prefer an engraving If I was gaming it, and Stamps If I were framing it.

Thanks for clearing that up DD & Craig.

no problem... different strokes for different blokes

I like the stampings used by SSB. While I liked the stampings on my TEI3, Geo used a smaller stamp and looks pretty clean and uniform. I think SSB's stamps are gaudy and bold, which I LOVE!

Dent-

Stamps are usually a dye (reverse of course) that is hand-stamped into the putter, usually by hammering the dye into the putter. Stamps look more "artisan" and people like them because they represent something that is hand-made and not cranked off an assembly line.

Engraving is machined into the putter with a special engraving tool (think of a Dremel). The pattern can be done by hand or by a computer operated engraving machine. Engraving looks more professional and "finished" and people like them because they can be complex patterns and they are more "perfect" in appearance.

Dent-

Stamps are usually a dye (reverse of course) that is hand-stamped into the putter, usually by hammering the dye into the putter. Stamps look more "artisan" and people like them because they represent something that is hand-made and not cranked off an assembly line.

Engraving is machined into the putter with a special engraving tool (think of a Dremel). The pattern can be done by hand or by a computer operated engraving machine. Engraving looks more professional and "finished" and people like them because they can be complex patterns and they are more "perfect" in appearance.

Thanks for the detail on how they do it Harry. for SSB I can get anything I want with both types?

Thanks for the detail on how they do it Harry. for SSB I can get anything I want with both types?

Hand stamps are basically a reverse die, you are right there. However engraving can be in many different ways. A dremel type engraving will look toyish and not deep enough to hold paintfill. This is the same as a laser engraving.

We use either a hand mill and create a pattern to follow with the drill or a CNC mill with digitized "pattern". Either way there is a set-up charge to either have a digitized pattern or a traceable pattern. Engraving is FAR more expensive and is not included in the price of our putters.

For symbols(fleur de lis, smilies, Dollar signs etc.) it is cheaper to have a stamp made and if it is something we can reuse I will help out with the cost of the stamp. If it is very large or very detailed engraving is the way to go.

I am attaching an example of engraving, in which they wanted everything engraved even the letters on the sides. All said and done this added over 130.00 to the cost of this putter(granted it is a very detailed engraving on the bottom.

000_0001.jpg

000_0002.jpg

000_0003.jpg

A dremel type engraving will look toyish and not deep enough to hold paintfill.

SSB-

I didn't mean to imply that a Dremel was actually used. :D I just couldn't think of a better way to describe how the material is carved/machined out.

true if you have never seen a mill then that is a good more descriptive term rather than an item.

Back