Question for dog lovers

julie_m

EveryoneLovesACallyGirl
Reaction score
Hey those who have/had dogs...

This morning I came out to a thick layer of salt on out apartment walkways and steps. (I have no idea why, I should send them a memo that we're in Texas. Oh no, it might hit 32, I'm soooooo cold!)

Anyway, my question is if this is bad for my dog here. I'm worried the little guy will lick his paws or something and get sick. Any ideas?

You would be amazed at some of things dogs eat! Their systems are made to handle many more things than you'd think. Though, sometimes odd substances might make them alittle woozy, like diahrrea, they can handle it.
Salt shouldn't have any affetc, cept maybe make him thirsty!
My dogs ate a box of rat poison before, had to make them swallow some peroxide to force vomiting, they were fine.

I think you have to worry less about him eating it than you do about it getting in his pads and irritating his feet. This happened to our old dog. It would be a good idea to soak his feet and clean out in between the pads.

Good ideas.

Do you guys think it's just plain salt or do they mix in chemicals too? It's not that blue stuff or I'd be REALLY worried.

I found this on Ezine Articles
Whenever your dog comes in after being out in snow or sleet, thoroughly dry off her legs and stomach with an absorbent towel. Carefully wipe your pets paws off, making sure there is no ice melt on their paws. Most animals will try to lick ice melt off their paws because it burns. Unfortunately, products such as ice melt are dangerous to pets, especially if they ingest it. Car Anti Freeze can be fatal! Always act responsibly and put the needs of your pet and the environment ahead of personal convenience. Try to only use Pet Friendly Ice Melt products, instead of traditional rock salt or calcium chloride.

Hope it helps.

Thanks!

Looks like rock salt might be bad after all.

I'm gonna baby wipe his paws right now. (We have to use baby wipes on his nose wrinkle.)

We buy pet safe salt for our walkways and stuff. You might mention to the apartment people that you have a dog. I know you guys get ice maybe once a century so you don't have to worry about it much but it's better to know you have stuff that's ok for them instead of the other stuff that's more harmful.

They know, it bugs me. The maintenance guys always come pet him and wave hello when they see us. Must've just not thought about it. :sad:

They know, it bugs me. The maintenance guys always come pet him and wave hello when they see us. Must've just not thought about it. :sad:

Probably not. Our old apartment people did the same thing. We just made sure she didn't track any in and didn't pick any up in her mouth while we were out there.

My dog has eaten Video Tapes, Leather gloves, chocolate, a whole chicken, a whole loaf of bread, and he is still goin strong.

I have a Jack Russel as well as a Pug & neither of them are bothered by the salt.

Salt can be really bad for them, esecially if they get it on their paws and then lick it off. I would say just wipe the paws off with a damp cloth and you should be good to go.

With all of the salt, do you guys get a crazy amount of deer licking the sidewalks?

With all of the salt, do you guys get a crazy amount of deer licking the sidewalks?

I live out in the sticks & every so often there will be a few deer in the village, we get more turkeys though. Still waiting for a bear to come strutting down the street some day.

My dog has eaten Video Tapes, Leather gloves, chocolate, a whole chicken, a whole loaf of bread, and he is still goin strong.

Oh yeah, my dog ate a soup can (no razor top on it) and alightbulb (didn't eat the brass) when he was a pup! Yes, I'm serious:D I was scared bad, but he ended up fine.

My cat licked Comet bleach when he was a kitten and he turned out OK. He is almost 15 now.

This htread is turning into a nightmare for the poor animals!

I heard you can't let dogs eat chocolate because they can't digest it properly or it gives them kidney failure or some such thing. Have no idea if it's true, but of course I take absolutely no chances with my boy. I take the same approach to unknowns like rock salt.

I heard you can't let dogs eat chocolate because they can't digest it properly or it gives them kidney failure or some such thing. Have no idea if it's true, but of course I take absolutely no chances with my boy. I take the same approach to unknowns like rock salt.
From what I understand, dogs are allergic to chocolate (no, it doesnt make them sneeze and their nose run).
Small amounts are OK, but nothing more. The worst for them is baking chocolate because of how rich it is.
Its the same way with onions too.

Well...I told Josh he could carry him up and down the stairs like I do, or make sure to wipe his paws after. My puggie is getting pretty spoiled and a pretty big head, with all this carrying around going on!

I wish I had a broom, I'd just sweep the stairs outside and make my point that way.

I live out in the sticks & every so often there will be a few deer in the village, we get more turkeys though. Still waiting for a bear to come strutting down the street some day.

Sounds like where I live, except there WAS a bear a few years ago. Plus we have a fox up the street and I believe a bobcat not too far away. We are NOT in the sticks.

im sure ur question has been answered julie, but i would just wipe his paws off with a damp towel or something to try to get the salt off or at least dry him. dogs can take a lot though, just not large quantities of chocolate

Back