Austraila Wildfires

Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
Eek! They've got some pretty bad ones going on down there. I know we've got a few members in Australia (I've no idea what part) at any rate, be careful!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090208/ap_on_re_as/as_australia_wildfires

Thanks for your concern Gummi - we're safe. The fires are in Victoria which is 2 states south of where Brad and I are in Queensland [approx. 1,500 kilometres away]. It has been so dry down south this year and the really sad part is that some of the fires appear to have been lit by people discarding cigarette butts. As of this morning the death toll is at about 108. It's very sad.

Check this out...Google Maps have mapped the fires and only one is listed as controlled...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10159214-2.html

In the opposite direction about 1,500 km's away in North Queensland [north of where I live but still the same state] they are suffering from flooding due to an ex-tropical cylcone. To make matters worse, because rivers have broken their banks, they have a problem with crocodiles being washed into town. Check it out...
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25006238-5005941,00.html

Yesterday a 5 year old boy followed his dog into some flood waters and a crocodile took him. Poor little guy.

:sad:

Glad to hear you and Brad are safe Fiona.

I haven't heard back from Brad about the wine I got? Although I have already opened it and it is good to me!

Wow, Fiona, thanks for the update. I knew about the fires but not the floods. Poor little boy!

Glad to hear you and Brad are safe Fiona.

I haven't heard back from Brad about the wine I got? Although I have already opened it and it is good to me!

Sorry about that Smallie, I'll remind him to check his emails when I get home tonight. :eyepoke: He's been down the Gold Coast the last 2 days drooling after Anna Rawson at the ANZ Ladies Masters [co-sanctioned event with the Ladies Euro Tour] which is held at the Royal Pines Resort every year. VERY nice golf course, I've been lucky enough to play there before. Kathrine Hull was the winner.

Sorry about that Smallie, I'll remind him to check his emails when I get home tonight. :eyepoke: He's been down the Gold Coast the last 2 days drooling after Anna Rawson at the ANZ Ladies Masters [co-sanctioned event with the Ladies Euro Tour] which is held at the Royal Pines Resort every year. VERY nice golf course, I've been lucky enough to play there before. Kathrine Hull was the winner.

Good--she's just adorable. Nice to see she's continuing her hot streak!

Wow, Fiona, thanks for the update. I knew about the fires but not the floods. Poor little boy!

Someone I work with has a brother who is a fire fighter down in Victoria and he was saying part of the problem with not being able to control the fires is that the tree's basically explode because of the heat and the oil in the eucalyptus (gum) trees. The embers travel a fair distance and spread the fire. :sidefrown:

Good--she's just adorable. Nice to see she's continuing her hot streak!

I think we will see great things from her this year! She seems like a really nice, down-to-earth person.

I have a friend who is a volunteer in Scottsdale. He said a lot of times once a fire gets contained, a rabbit or other animal will run from the fire into another area and start the fire up again.

Someone I work with has a brother who is a fire fighter down in Victoria and he was saying part of the problem with not being able to control the fires is that the tree's basically explode because of the heat and the oil in the eucalyptus (gum) trees. The embers travel a fair distance and spread the fire. :sidefrown:

Pine trees explode like that here. It's a scary situation for sure.

I'm glad y'all are safe. Fires like that are scary, my folks were worried that they might lose their place a few years back, when 250,000 acres burned just down the highway.

I have a friend who is a volunteer in Scottsdale. He said a lot of times once a fire gets contained, a rabbit or other animal will run from the fire into another area and start the fire up again.

Koalas don't run. Well, at least most of the time. They sleep like what, 18-20 hours a day? And give each other chlamydia the rest of the time, apparently.

Koalas don't run. Well, at least most of the time. They sleep like what, 18-20 hours a day? And give each other chlamydia the rest of the time, apparently.

JC-ROFL.gif
I almost forgot that one!

JC-ROFL.gif
I almost forgot that one!

Boo Girl did a report on koalas recently and was supposed to list some number of facts about them. I managed to resist passing that tidbit along.

That's an upsetting article.

25 years for killing a whole slew of people doesn't seem just to me...

Send him to Texas death row, I'm sure they'd kill him for ya.

Back