Groove Sharpener - Revisited

Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
So, I went back all the way to the beginning of the reviews, and dug this up:
http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=90

I bought another PING wedge this evening, and I gotta say, the grooves are pretty worn down, so I want to sharpen them, to put these wedges into play until I can finally order in some new ones, then these will find a permanent home in the backseat of the truck, so I can stop at the practice green on the way home in the evenings without having to lug around my whole golf bag.

• Is the Groove Sharpener really the cat's meow?
  • Has something new come to light that we should know about?
  • Get the U groove sharpener, or the U and V groove sharpener? (does anything even have V grooves anymore?)
  • How about a full picture of the Groove Mate?
  • Is there a video tutorial somewhere online on proper technique?

GB,
The one from www.groovesharpener.com has really helped out in the long run for quite a few people that I know. I do not have a full picture of the groove mate, but I believe that quite a few pictures are available on their site. It is quite easy to do as just use your thumb for pressure and glide it in the grooves.

GB... groove sharpener is the BEST model on the market, but it will make your wedges non-conforming. The groove sharpener will actually sharpen and deepen the groove past its original depth.

I personally use this Izzo tool (http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp?SUBCATEGORY_ID=4817) because it will only sharpen your groove and not alter its depth. It's not the sharpest device out there but I've held onto my vokeys for 4 seasons and they are still strong

DD,
I would not say that it makes your wedges non-conforming. It CAN make them non-conforming though.

DD,
I would not say that it makes your wedges non-conforming. It CAN make them non-conforming though.

Yeah, that tool is pretty sharp...

Back