Burner 2.0 HP Irons

I picked my son up the last set of lefty black 2.0 irons at our local shop for 399. I had a gift card from a company tournament so I didn't pay anything out of pocket for them. They were fitted for him also.

well as i mentioned, my buddy got his new Burner 2.0 HP irons Tuesday night, so we took advantage of the nice weather yesterday and went out to hit a few at the local fairgrounds. i took some pics, they look great!

6964155529_867effdfcd_z.jpg

6964156749_9c60461518_z.jpg

6964157565_964251a7f6_z.jpg

6818034260_67877ddcdb_z.jpg

These are $345 for a 4-PW set at my pro shop. The chrome is brighter than the online pics make it look. I thought about saving for a set when the price dropped, but unfortunately they ran out of stock of the blacks and now have just the HPs. I don't know if I'd want to buy the HPs. Not the same iron in my opinion.

any word on the quality of these?
I see on the golfsmith website, there's a review claiming that the irons snap off at the hosel

I see on the golfsmith website, there's a review claiming that the irons snap off at the hosel

quality is fine...same as any other iron or club TM is going to make.
remember that, that review is based on one individuals' experience. the problem with online reviews is that something gets one bad review and people automatically throw the entire stock into that category.
besides, i'm sure TM will replace that iron, if not the entire set for free of charge.

they don't look bad in those pics. I prefer the original finish to them. But if they play the same than at that price they are a good buy.

Those look like the old burners. I do not like that at all. I thought it was going to be a light finish but didnt think it would be glossy. The first page picture did not represent these at all. Definitely would take the original finish.

I like the black better, either way though I love the 2.0s. Edwin Watts has them for $349.99, which is the main reason I went with them over the W/S Di11. I do, however, have a couple friends that didn't jump on them because of the finish....I guess they'll regret not waiting. :banghead:

i will say this...after hitting them last night, they just felt normal. nothing great about them. we were guessing distances and they definitely perform the same as the black finish with the draw bias. but there's just something about the black finish 2.0's that attack the ball and just look badass.

Me too! The black will wear off

Sent from my DROID X2

If I find these or the originals on sale for under $300 I will have to pick them up!!

An good way to add revenue for an old product. That being said, I'm intrigued

Tappin!

When I got my black 2.0 in May, I snapped my 4i off at the hosel on the first swing I put on it. Since then they have been absolutely perfect and are an awesome set of irons! I would never hesitate to recommend them. I recall when I was looking at getting my irons I was finding Burner 1.0s with the 2.0 black finish. Now it looks like they are taking it back chrome style. My black 2.0s have faded from bag chatter but I think they look appropriately played!

I definitely have a soft spot for chrome finishes but I really hate that TaylorMade cheaps out on production costs just to be able to sell a few more sets at a lower price point when one of the top 2 selling points for this model was the black non glare finish. I'm sure there are a couple of companies that do this type of thing and I guess it is what it is but I doubt you will ever see Titleist or Mizuno pull something like this. To me it is conceding that they sell gimmicks. With that said, I'm sure they play very similarly if not exactly the same.

I definitely have a soft spot for chrome finishes but I really hate that TaylorMade cheaps out on production costs just to be able to sell a few more sets at a lower price point when one of the top 2 selling points for this model was the black non glare finish. I'm sure there are a couple of companies that do this type of thing and I guess it is what it is but I doubt you will ever see Titleist or Mizuno pull something like this. To me it is conceding that they sell gimmicks. With that said, I'm sure they play very similarly if not exactly the same.

TM is all about marketing. What was the secret to the longer distances the 2.0s gave? Not breakthrough tech, but stronger lofts. Most people don't know that... Most of these will probably be bought online, and the picture they gave doesn't make them appear to be reflective chrome but more like a satin finish. Lots of people will probably be surprised when they get these. And some people will think it's totally new and go buy them.

When I was buying my set of burner 2.0's about 2 weeks ago I really wanted the black finish but they didn't have a set with a gap wedge with the longer yardage over my older cobras I really wanted a gap wedge. I ended up with the polished chrome and I'm glad I did! Its a much cleaner look. I did however get a set of black finish 2.0 in a ladies flex for my girlfriend she seems to like the black finish better but I'm sure it's all about the looks

Seeing the in hand photos tnolan posted was shocking to me, I had the impression that they had a satin/matte silver finish from the photos Tmag put out.

Have played with my new 2.0's (black finish) the last two days and very impressed. I'm getting the stock grips replaced, but thus far I really like the way they play. I've actually gained some distance on my irons and feel comfortable playing a 4 and 5 iron again...

I am loving my 2.0's with the black finish. I'm amazed at how much my long iron consistency has improved.

Saw these in American Golf yesterday, here in the UK. Three things to say...

1) I'm not entirely surprised they have appeared. The Burner 2.0 irons were disappearing from the market prior to the RBZ launch, which I suppose makes sense if you want to sell a new line in the same vein. However, the 1.0s are still being sold everywhere in the UK, so...

2) I wouldn't be surprised if the black 2.0s magically become freely available again. Which will annoy the hell out of me for one reason. I added AW and SW to my set and hit the SW so instinctively perfectly, I bought a 2nd SW spare, and then 2x LW. I believe the Lob Wedges were the last stock in the country. They were described as standard lie, but I can tell they are definitely flat. I've gone ahead and used one, and the ball definitely plays short and right with anything more than a half swing. I've read elsewhere that these irons are very hard to adjust. I pondered returning them straight away, but thought - it's tough luck, this is my only option if I want a matching 2.0 lob, keep them and see if I can get them bent (probably by TM if possible). But if the black 2.0s become available again, I shall be pretty miffed to have bought two non-standard lie clubs. (Life being what it is though - my crazy lob wedge helped me get my first eagle during my last round. 240 yard R11 3w tee shot into a greenside bunker, then cleanly clipped off the sand and into the hole. NICE)

3) I vastly prefer the black finish to the all chrome. The straight chrome head looks A LOT bigger. I looked at them close-up and alongside each other at address, and what becomes immediately apparent is how brilliantly the black head / grey face slimmed down what, in chrome, looks a much more obvious and clunky game improvement iron!!!

I am loving my 2.0's with the black finish. I'm amazed at how much my long iron consistency has improved.
Mine has improved dramatically in the 4 and 5 irons. I've always been OK witht he mid-to-short irons, but the longer ones were iffy at best.
Yesterday, on a par 3 that usually has my mind in a frenzy because of so many hooks OB, I calmly walked up with a 5i, stiffed one dead straight about 190yds to 3ft past the pin.
I was the only one on the green in our 4some. :bananadance:

My buddy was like, "dayum, you are hittin' those good, you never hit that green!"

i love my Burner 2.0 they are really forgiving

BAG :ogio: Ozone XX STAND BAG BLUEBINSKI
DRIVER :taylormade: R1 10.5 LOFT NETRUAL CLUB FACE NETURAL SHOT SHAPE
FAIRWAY WOODS :taylormade:
BURNER SUPERFAST 3 WOOD 15* / 5 WOOD 18*
HYBRID :taylormade:
BURNER SUPERFAST 4 HYBRID 21*
IRONS :taylormade:
BURNER 2.0 HP 5 - PW
WEDGES:taylormade:
BURNER 2.0 HP AW 50* /BURNER 2.0 SATIN SW 55* / LW 60*
PUTTER:odyssey: WHITE ICE #7