Presidential Address

He is an awesome speaker. A lot of ice cream but a very good speaker. I agree something had to be done but to say there are no earmarks in the package is a lie.

I tried to watch the speech, but Pelosi made me want to gouge my eyes out. I see no reason to act like you're at a political convention during a nationally televised speech in a joint session of Congress. (I feel the same way no matter which side is talking) Everybody should sit down and let the speaker do his thing instead of standing and clapping everytime the speaker pauses. It's ridiculous so I turned it off.

Before anyone complains about the pork, they should probably check to see where it came from. I guaran-damn-tee that there is plenty of blame on both sides of the isle.

Sadly, it happens on every single bill passed in Congress. It's the way votes are bought. (If you vote for this, we will support your amendment for project X.) It's just that this bill is very high profile, so people are looking at it more closely than usual.

Then it should have less pork than usual. WHEREVER it came from. Especially because of the sensitivity of the whole situation. Not that Obama wrote it because he didn't; that's not who I am blaming.

GR2009020100154.gif

What was that, Gas? I must've missed it. Was it that they outnumber the dropouts right now?

I would have to reread the transcripts, but it had to do with too many drop outs and that everybody should graduate from college, and the Government will pay for it if they are willing to volunteer in the community.( That was me doing a very bad paraphrase)

I would have to reread the transcripts, but it had to do with too many drop outs and that everybody should graduate from college, and the Government will pay for it if they are willing to volunteer in the community.( That was me doing a very bad paraphrase)

WHAT! here we go with this crap again... I totally missed that part

I thought he did a great job in his first address to congress. He is being open with what his plans are and he is conscious of keeping his campaign promises. President Obama is doing as good of a job as we could hope for given the current state of our economy. You can't fault his effort, his passion to bring people together, and his drive to bring us out on top of this ecomonic crisis.

There are many people like DDBowdin out there who don't want to give him a chance. President Obama will never, ever meet the expectations or ideals for people like DDBowdin. However, it is the negativity that DD expresses on this board every time Obama is brought up that is symbolic of what hurts us as a country. Division between Republicans and Democrats hurts everyone, and I have faith that during Obama's term we will see more unity than division.

Obama is putting his best foot forward. If it doesn't work, then rip him for making the situation worse. But give the man a chance. At the very least, give his proposed solutions for our economic crisis a fighting chance to work.

That's all I am going to say on this topic. I enjoy the people in this forum too much to get caught up in debates that always end up in heated arguments and out of the guidelines for what this forum is all about.

Enjoy the day everyone!

SOBAY,
The same can be said for everytime a Republican is brought up by members of this board. The fact is politics as a whole is a tough conversation especially on a message board. It has no place here because it does this each and every time. Lines are drawn and they are black and white. The same people that yell at members for bashing Obama are the same people for the most part that bashed Bush.

I have asked twice now, lets keep this thread about the speech and not resort to putting down other members.

SOBAY,
The same can be said for everytime a Republican is brought up by members of this board. The fact is politics as a whole is a tough conversation especially on a message board. It has no place here because it does this each and every time. Lines are drawn and they are black and white. The same people that yell at members for bashing Obama are the same people for the most part that bashed Bush.

I have asked twice now, lets keep this thread about the speech and not resort to putting down other members.

I'm not putting anybody down. If you are going to allow somebody to bash an idea, then you need to allow somebody else to defend the idea. You either have the thread open, or you have it locked.

Your comment about the same people who support Obama are the same people that Bash bush is not true. That's not who I was, and it's not the way many Obama supporters are.

You went against the thread rules too. You stated your case against me, and then you say let's keep this thread about the speech. You can't have it both ways.

SOBAY,
Nobody is bashing you. If you re read the thread I have asked THREE TIMES now for people to either discuss the speech only or not post in the thread. We will not have this thread turn into a Right Wing vs Left Wing thread or members putting down other members as have many political threads recently.

We are all here to get along and have open minds. Political talk brings out the worst in everybody.

SOBAY,
Nobody is bashing you. If you re read the thread I have asked THREE TIMES now for people to either discuss the speech only or not post in the thread. We will not have this thread turn into a Right Wing vs Left Wing thread or members putting down other members as have many political thread.

We are all here to get along and have open minds. Political talk brings out the worst in everybody.

Why have political talk allowed at all on this forum? Look through the old posts. Every time a political issue is brought up it turns into a right wing vs left wing thread. It never ends up good.

I, for one, come here to escape the endless political rants we read and hear all day via the newspaper and CNN. However, if political talk is going to be allowed, both sides need to be represented.

This is the last time I will say this. Please keep this thread about the speech last night. If you would like to comment about the speech, you are more than welcome to. We will not allow our threads to turn into what they have in the past.

I think I have asked nicely enough for four or five times now. That is all I will say on the matter and future posts by anybody that stray on this particular subject will be deleted.

A couple of the things mentioned in Obama's speech worry me - from an implementation aspect:

1. Healthcare Reform - This is a hot topic that's been getting tossed around for several years now. Will it become a Gov't-funded and run program, or will it stay in the private sector with more regulation from the government?
  2. He stated that the US automobile industry is an important part of the economy that needs to be saved. But with the current state of GM and Chrysler, how much money is he willing to spend to keep them afloat?

I didn't watch even 1 second of it, no need to since I think we all knew what was going to be said. Same ole crap, just being tossed at us with a new shovel.

I was planning to watch, but I fell asleep on the couch and slept through it. It sounds like I didnt miss much...

Back