NHL 2011-2012 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the Rangers. Not saying that because they are first in the conference, saying that because they are first in that division with both of those teams in it as well. Easily been the best division all year.

Also, Flyers didn't have their goon squad out, they had their second line out there when Pens went with 4th. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with putting out your 4th line at that point, just saying that the Flyers didn't play their goon squad.

I was more implying that the entire Flyers franchise is a goon squad.

Who do you have out there? Crosby? Malkin? Against that goon squad?

I agree with everyone else though - the playoffs are going to be awesome. It's a shame that the Pens and Flyers will meet in the first round - might just be the two best teams in the East.

Ya you do, it was gutless and the only reason your saying its not; is the one simple reason your a pens fan. I'm not even a Flyers fan. (I love M.A Fluery, and Crosby) I would be saying this if it was my team or any-team, Putting your 4th line out against there 2nd line? And running there star player doesn't show much class when the game is already over.

But like i said it was only to send a message for the Playoffs and i love that..

No point going on about it, we both look at it different so we would be going on about it for 10 years from now.

Last edited:
I was more implying that the entire Flyers franchise is a goon squad.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but how is playing hockey hard nosed and like it's supposed to be played make someone a good? BTW this is my definition of goon:
bertuzzi_incident_2.jpg

Ya you do, it was gutless and the only reason your saying its not; is the one simple reason your a pens fan. I'm not even a Flyers fan. (I love M.A Fluery, and Crosby) I would be saying this if it was my team or any-team, Putting your 4th line out against there 2nd line? And running there star player doesn't show much class when the game is already over.

But like i said it was only to send a message for the Playoffs and i love that..

No point going on about it, we both look at it different so we would be going on about it for 10 years from now.

Gutless is cross checking someone in the back a good ten seconds after the whistle while they're skating back to the bench. Gutless is not delivering a textbook hip check. Gutless is a coach acting like a child, snapping a stick, and throwing it at the Penguins bench.

Please. We're talking about the Philadelphia Flyers here - they, more than any team in the league, have zero room to complain about 'message sending'. Goonery (making that word up) is as common in Philadelphia as Cup-less springs and summers - it's a given. And, still, it all just stemmed from a completely clean hit.

I don't see the issue with throwing a 4th line out there at all. For one, the Penguins fourth line is an energy line - they're talented players. That line doesn't consist of any 'goons' - it's a line of grinders. Big difference.

You keep saying that they ran Briere. I don't get it. It was a clean check on a player skating with the puck across the MIDDLE OF THE ICE. Don't try to skate through the neutral zone.

I've gotten really tired of watching the Avs get into the playoffs and then drop out. Who knows where they'll finish. And they'll probably lose in the first round even if they get in. OH well, there's always next year. I think that's what they always say!!

To be fair, and take this with a grain of salt since I'm a Canucks fan and the Avs used to beat up on us all the time: the Avs had their years of being a perennial contender. I'm ok with them spending a few years working their way back up. And I think they're going to have a great squad in the coming years the way things are looking for them all of a sudden.

You keep saying that they ran Briere. I don't get it. It was a clean check on a player skating with the puck across the MIDDLE OF THE ICE. Don't try to skate through the neutral zone.

This is something happening more and more and I don't like it. It's one thing to respond to a bad check or a cheap shot and stick up for your teammate, but more and more it seems like throwing a good, CLEAN check on another team's star player is something that will bring the wrath of the goons down on you, and that's not good for the game. The proper response to a good hit on one of your stars is to get that guy back, but cleanly - not by jumping him.

Completely agree. Though I stil have no idea how Sedin's hit on Keith went completely unnoticed. It was late and from the side with the head being the point of impact.....though that was what the league wanted out of the game? I guess if it's not in the middle of the ice, it's ok.

Coming back to this a bit late, but it was probably missed due to a combination of ref positioning (the near ref would have been behind them and nearer to the other corner) and bias - the Sedins aren't known to hit much at all, let alone play dirty. They take penalties when someone gets a step on them in the neutral zone and they (especially Henrik) often reach in with a stick or a hand. So it was pretty uncharacteristic - not that that doesn't mean a penalty wasn't warranted.

There's also the difference between head contact that is deliberate and head contact that is incidental - this is something that has plagued the NFL as well, although they deal with this far better than the NHL. A clean hit where the head becomes involved vs one where the head is targeted is being treated differently - for better or worse. It's tough for those refs out there - it happens so fast and they have to make a decision inside of a second. Tough job.

Coming back to this a bit late, but it was probably missed due to a combination of ref positioning (the near ref would have been behind them and nearer to the other corner) and bias - the Sedins aren't known to hit much at all, let alone play dirty. They take penalties when someone gets a step on them in the neutral zone and they (especially Henrik) often reach in with a stick or a hand. So it was pretty uncharacteristic - not that that doesn't mean a penalty wasn't warranted.

There's also the difference between head contact that is deliberate and head contact that is incidental - this is something that has plagued the NFL as well, although they deal with this far better than the NHL. A clean hit where the head becomes involved vs one where the head is targeted is being treated differently - for better or worse. It's tough for those refs out there - it happens so fast and they have to make a decision inside of a second. Tough job.

Don't care so much about no call during the play, but Shanahan should have at least fined him. It was from the side and the head made contact with the shoulder.

I'm sorry, I agree with you on a lot, but to call it a clean hit where the head accidentally got hit, I cannot agree with.

To be fair, and take this with a grain of salt since I'm a Canucks fan and the Avs used to beat up on us all the time: the Avs had their years of being a perennial contender. I'm ok with them spending a few years working their way back up. And I think they're going to have a great squad in the coming years the way things are looking for them all of a sudden.

I can understand that and the young group of players the avs have been keeping is nice, but I'm still a bit worried on how the front office has been running things. I don't know what kind of locker room tenure and leadership will be there once they actually get their act together.

This is something happening more and more and I don't like it. It's one thing to respond to a bad check or a cheap shot and stick up for your teammate, but more and more it seems like throwing a good, CLEAN check on another team's star player is something that will bring the wrath of the goons down on you, and that's not good for the game. The proper response to a good hit on one of your stars is to get that guy back, but cleanly - not by jumping him.

As a youth hockey coach I tend to disagree as it only teaches the kids an eye for an eye is ok. I try and teach my kids if they don't like getting hit or they think they were hit illegally hurt them the only place they truly can, the scoreboard. It's the true equalizer, yes injuries hurt and can be very damaging, but a win is a win and that's where you can really hurt the other team. Alright I'll step off my soap box for now.

As a youth hockey coach I tend to disagree as it only teaches the kids an eye for an eye is ok. I try and teach my kids if they don't like getting hit or they think they were hit illegally hurt them the only place they truly can, the scoreboard. It's the true equalizer, yes injuries hurt and can be very damaging, but a win is a win and that's where you can really hurt the other team. Alright I'll step off my soap box for now.

I think that's basically what he's saying - get your payback within the rules of the game. Don't jump a guy every time a CLEAN hit occurs.

I think that's basically what he's saying - get your payback within the rules of the game. Don't jump a guy every time a CLEAN hit occurs.

I think what a clean hit is has become so skewed lately, in a live action youth game there's no replay, so you have to hope that the refs know their stuff and see if how it really is.

Got fit for new driver and 3W by a former NHLer today, Jörgen Pettersson. Played 400 games in the early-to-mid 80s, has the STL rookie goals record and stuff. Great guy with cool stories. Before his first game vs Detroit he was nervous as heck and a bit worried about if he'd have to fight. He'd probably never done it in the SEL, so Brian Sutter told him "if you get into one of those situations, don't drop the gloves, just hit the guy right away!"

So James Neal beat the crap out of Ference.....

I did not expect it, nor did Ference I think.

No definitely not. But good for Neal because Ference was a complete punk about it and he ate his words.

Rooting for the Canes tonight. Devils won. If Canes beat Ottawa we are locked in to the 6th spot and play one of the crappy Southeast teams. Hopefully Florida.

I have to say..I'm really, really excited for playoff hockey. This is just one of those years where we're looking at some really solid first round match-ups. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Thoughts for the first round? The match-ups are just about set in stone outside of a few possible changes.

In the East, as of this moment, we're looking at: Rangers/Capitals, Boston/Ottawa, Florida/New Jersey, Pittsburgh/Philly.

In the West, as of this moment, we're looking at: Vancouver/San Jose, St. Louis/Phoenix, Los Angeles/Chicago, Nashville/Detroit.

Doesn't get any better than Pittsburgh/Philly. Nashville/Detroit would end up being a complete war, same with LA/Chicago. And, heck, the Rangers/Capitals will be an intriguing series with the way the Caps have been playing lately.

I have to say..I'm really, really excited for playoff hockey. This is just one of those years where we're looking at some really solid first round match-ups. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Thoughts for the first round? The match-ups are just about set in stone outside of a few possible changes.

In the East, as of this moment, we're looking at: Rangers/Capitals, Boston/Ottawa, Florida/New Jersey, Pittsburgh/Philly.

In the West, as of this moment, we're looking at: Vancouver/San Jose, St. Louis/Phoenix, Los Angeles/Chicago, Nashville/Detroit.

Doesn't get any better than Pittsburgh/Philly. Nashville/Detroit would end up being a complete war, same with LA/Chicago. And, heck, the Rangers/Capitals will be an intriguing series with the way the Caps have been playing lately.

I honestly think Buffalo is going to beat out Washington for the 8th spot in the East.

Rangers/Sabres, Boston/Ottawa, Florida/New Jersey, Pittsburgh/Philly.

Vancouver/San Jose, St. Louis/Phoenix, Los Angeles/Chicago, Nashville/Detroit

I dont think the Panthers will lose, but other than that, I think youre on track.

I honestly think Buffalo is going to beat out Washington for the 8th spot in the East.

Rangers/Sabres, Boston/Ottawa, Florida/New Jersey, Pittsburgh/Philly.

Vancouver/San Jose, St. Louis/Phoenix, Los Angeles/Chicago, Nashville/Detroit

Honestly, I think Ottawa is going to be a tough out. Boston might have their hands full in that one.

I dont think the Panthers will lose, but other than that, I think youre on track.

HAHA you think the Panthers are beating the Devils? HAHAHAHAHAH Wanna make bet?

Buffalo has got tons of steam coming in too. Miller can steal a series, hes that good.
Honestly, I think Ottawa is going to be a tough out. Boston might have their hands full in that one.

HAHA you think the Panthers are beating the Devils? HAHAHAHAHAH Wanna make bet?
Crazier things have happened in the past. I dont know why youre laughing like that, its not really all that funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back