Golf Course Employees

RocketSauce

ManBearPig
Reaction score
Just curious if any of you have ever had any weird experiences with golf course maintenence workers? Yesterday I had one run over my ball and smash it into the ground with his mower, lol (luckily the mower blades didnt get ahold of it). So I was just curious if anyone has ever hit a maintenence worker with a ball or anything else?

I'm a 20+yr veteran. I've been hit, but it's been many yrs since. I've chopped a few balls over that time, it's inevitable. I had 1 guy throw a ball at me and if I'da realized he wasn't a member I'da whooped his A$$, but at the time I was NEW to that club. Show a little respect for us guys because we work our A$$es off and everybody else gets the credit. Long Hrs for little pay, I do it because I love it for the most part.

Damdest thing I've heard was I was actually playing at another club and I was a walking single. The group who was on the tee before me let me go 1st and I was waiting in the fairway for the guy mowing the green. It was a dogleg left and you couldn't see the green from the tee so 1 of the guys in the group who let me go rides up to see what I'm waiting on and then says "go ahead and hit, if he gets hit it's his fault and part of his job" I then let him have the WHAT FOR! Some people are soooo ignorant!

. Show a little respect for us guys because we work our A$$es off and everybody else gets the credit. Long Hrs for little pay, I do it because I love it for the most part.

i didnt mean for my post to be taken in a negative way. in fact, i thought it was kind of funny when he ran over my ball. i didnt say anything to him, get mad, or anything. i knew he was working and probably just didnt see it. it just made me wonder if anyone has ever hit a worker by accident, or if anyone has ever had a strange run-in with a maintenence worker

I didn't take it that way. You're good. Just that some see us as a nuisance rather than somebody keeping the course in shape for them. Believe me, I don't want to be out there in the line of fire, but you have to sometimes.

I always try to carry a variety of balls if I'm mowing rough just for that reason.

Was playing a local course last year & as I approached the 2nd tee there was a guy mowing the fairway. I let him quickly finish up what he was doing so i could proceed. Well all he was doing was cutting the outer edges & for the next 4 holes he literally followed me & was constantly in my way. I finally got sorta pissed off & walked up to him & asked him if he could please jump ahead a hole or 2 because he was driving me nuts. He apologized & did just that.

Well nothing with maintenence crews, but the starter guy that runs the course, I think he hates me or something. I went in at around 4 to play 9 holes once and he was in the pro shop watching TGC and when he saw me come in he sighs and says "You gotta be KIDDING me". I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or the TV so I didn't say anything to him. Besides it was 4 o clock, if he was mad at me for coming to play so late, he still had 2 and a half hours before it got dark.

Well nothing with maintenence crews, but the starter guy that runs the course, I think he hates me or something. I went in at around 4 to play 9 holes once and he was in the pro shop watching TGC and when he saw me come in he sighs and says "You gotta be KIDDING me". I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or the TV so I didn't say anything to him. Besides it was 4 o clock, if he was mad at me for coming to play so late, he still had 2 and a half hours before it got dark.

yeah, that was pretty rude of him

I had a mower at my local course tell me that when he is mowing, he expects the players to pick up and go to the next hole?????? That was crazy.

I completely nailed the guy picking up balls in the cart at the driving range, on the metal window right by his face. He gave me the finger. I thought that was excessive, since I was aiming 30 yards to the right of him - I'm just that bad. (Plus he was on his cell phone. Very strange.)

I had a mower at my local course tell me that when he is mowing, he expects the players to pick up and go to the next hole?????? That was crazy.

WHAT??? good lord. i hope he was just new and didnt know any better

I completely nailed the guy picking up balls in the cart at the driving range, on the metal window right by his face. He gave me the finger. I thought that was excessive, since I was aiming 30 yards to the right of him - I'm just that bad. (Plus he was on his cell phone. Very strange.)

Heh people hit the guy at the driving range all the time, I don't think he cares lol. I once hit a 7 iron and the ball and the cart were tracking on the same path and the ball just nailed the top of the cart perfectly. It was great.

I've been tagged once or twice while forecaddying for my guys. Nothing serious, felt like a punch.

Congratulations! In all the times I have been to the range I have NEVER hit the ball pickup guy!

I've never had a run-in with anyone at the course other than a ranger once. My best friend was up from Milwaukee for the weekend, so we went to the best course in the area where I lived to play 18. We were walking and carrying cart bags, so by the time we hit the back nine we had slowed down a bit since those suck to carry. The threesome behind us were driving carts, so we let them play through since there was space ahead of us. On the next fairway the ranger comes up in his cart and threatens to kick us off if we let anyone else play through or don't pick up the pace. This was on hole 16...WTF?

And as far as the poor guy driving the pickup cart at the range, they have GOT to realize that they are a target for everyone when out picking up balls.

I've never had a run-in with anyone at the course other than a ranger once. My best friend was up from Milwaukee for the weekend, so we went to the best course in the area where I lived to play 18. We were walking and carrying cart bags, so by the time we hit the back nine we had slowed down a bit since those suck to carry. The threesome behind us were driving carts, so we let them play through since there was space ahead of us. On the next fairway the ranger comes up in his cart and threatens to kick us off if we let anyone else play through or don't pick up the pace. This was on hole 16...WTF?

GEEZ! :confused2:

The heated range I go to has an old beatup pickup truck with iron grates over all the windows. You could pound on that thing with 10,000 balls & it wouldn't faze the driver 1 bit.

Congratulations! In all the times I have been to the range I have NEVER hit the ball pickup guy!

You're talking to the girl who hit the same spot on the same tree on five consecutive attempts at a tee-off. I have rock solid aim.....it is consistently terrible.

I have had a few problems with individuals at the course. A couple of times individuals that I got paired up with were rude, but for the most part everyone is extremely pleasant.

There were two different rounds that I hit my tee shot within 10 yards of individuals in the fairway. I only did this on either the 16th or 17th hole.

My justification was I was a single and the foursome in front of me were being jerks and wouldn't let me play through. I had played behind them the entire round and finally had enough. There wasn't anyone in front of them and they were taking their sweet time hitting multiple balls.

I knew that I wouldn't hit them, but would come within 10-20 yards. A marshall saw this and spoke to them. Needless to say, they picked up the pace and quit hitting multiple balls.

I have had a few problems with individuals at the course. A couple of times individuals that I got paired up with were rude, but for the most part everyone is extremely pleasant.

There were two different rounds that I hit my tee shot within 10 yards of individuals in the fairway. I only did this on either the 16th or 17th hole.

My justification was I was a single and the foursome in front of me were being jerks and wouldn't let me play through. I had played behind them the entire round and finally had enough. There wasn't anyone in front of them and they were taking their sweet time hitting multiple balls.

I knew that I wouldn't hit them, but would come within 10-20 yards. A marshall saw this and spoke to them. Needless to say, they picked up the pace and quit hitting multiple balls.

wow, that was just completely rude of them. sheeesh. some people

It's ok...girls aren't on the course to play seriously, just to wear the clothes and pretend they're golfers and stuff. :wink:

One time I hit a guy about 230 out on a fly with the driver...BANG! That's the best one I've had to date...everyone looked at me. Another time, my brother hit some teenage girl from like 10 yds away. She got out and walked in. LOL

I've worked at Private Clubs since 1993 and I do everything in my power to stay out of the way and be as quiet as possible when folks are hitting, but on crowded days people have to show a little patience and give us time to get out of the way. You'd be amazed how many people just hit at you and act like it's your fault for being there and NO OFFENSE, but older Men and Women have been the worst for this in my 21 yrs of experience(hitting while you're in the line of fire and sometimes I mean REAL CLOSE). I mean IMPATIENT, can't wait 30-60 seconds for you to get out of the way.

I never seem to have problems with the maintenance guys, they're always cool to me. I'll pull the flag while they mow the green, and I'll heckle them while they're working (I speak just enough Spanish to mess with them :D) I don't mind setting down my bag to lend them a hand with completing a task either. If I can help him adjust a sprinkler head, or kick dirt back into a hole, rake the bunker out, whatever; to help him get done and out of everyone's way, and him on to something else, I'll do it rather than stand there and b!+c# about him doing his job.

I always seem to have the most problem with snooty cart girls. They either expect you to gush all over them, and tell them how wonderful they are, or they're just rude. I have no patience for either.

The guys out here are crazy. They wear helmets and just duck when people are hitting, Ive tried to wait them out but they wave you on. I usually always talk to them, Ive given a couple of them cigars. I dont get how anyone can get mad at these guys.
Ive had days where it seems they are following me the whole time during a round, that gets annoying.

Back