Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Had a chance to hit the di11 and ci11's at a local demo day here in Canton, OH yesterday.

I only tested against the Cally Razr X but I've been hitting many GI/SGI clubs in the past 2 weeks on simulators.
I must say the di11's have by far the most feel (at least to me), has the thinnest top line and also not a huge sole in that GI/SGI category. To me it looks more classic but with all the GI technology behind it.

I told the Wilson rep it almost feels like a forged club. With my Burner plus irons I will hit the ball pure but only get that "vacant" feeling maybe once out of every 20 hits. With these almost all of the hits felt "vacant" which was cool.
I tried the ci11's which felt really good as well but at my handicap I think the di11's will be the better fit and help me on my not so good swings.

As far as my fitting, Ken (I believe his name was from Wilson) was super helpful. We started out at full length, std lie. Then went to 1/2" short with 2* flat lie. I was grounding the club towards the toe so we ended up at 1/2" short and std lie and this setup was money. Strike marks were dead center.
Boy was I surprised as my current irons are 2* flat.

Luckily the special they were offering with my local shop does not expire until 6/15 so this gives me some time to save up my money (birthday is 5/31, perfect timing) to pick these up before the deal runs out.

Another cool thing was they told me I could order any configuration I want. So my plan is to get 5i - GW since I don't really use a 4i.

Thanks to Wilson also for giving me a sleeve of Duo balls. This has been my ball of choice for 2012 which he was glad to hear I was liking it.

I bought the sand wedge also. Let me tell you I LOVE that thing. It is a pin seeker. I played at a golf outing scramble today. I put one from about 78 yards to 3 ft. away, and one from about 82 yds. to 5 ft. It is working great for me, as are all the irons. I have never hit my irons this good EVER!

Anyone know what the bounce is on the di11 SW?

I have a Vokey 54* with 12* of bounce and its nearly impossible for me to hit out of the fw.

Very nice purchase Paul. I think you will be happy.
thanks, i cant wait to get them, he said up to two weeks :( cant wait to get on the range and course and get used to them

Bit the bullet and bought me some di11's. Will be here tomorrow (ordered Mon morning....awesome).
Thanks to Rockbottomgolf for the killer deal. Anything over $300 was $50 off with free shipping and they sell them for $329. So you do the math. Even beats the deals on ebay right now.

Does anybody know how much the stock Lamkin grips weighs on these irons?
I plan on shortening a 1/2" which will lower the swingweight about 3 pts so I was hoping to put on a grip that was lighter than the stock grip to try and raise the SW back up to normal.

Bit the bullet and bought me some di11's. Will be here tomorrow (ordered Mon morning....awesome).
Thanks to Rockbottomgolf for the killer deal. Anything over $300 was $50 off with free shipping and they sell them for $329. So you do the math. Even beats the deals on ebay right now.

Does anybody know how much the stock Lamkin grips weighs on these irons?
I plan on shortening a 1/2" which will lower the swingweight about 3 pts so I was hoping to put on a grip that was lighter than the stock grip to try and raise the SW back up to normal.
No idea on the lamkins, but most grips weigh in at around 52g.

yeah that is what i figured. I emailed both Wilson and Lamkin so we'll see what they have to say. I always play undersized grips so I will be able to shave off at least 10 grams or so with the grip change

New to this thread.

Having a hard time deciding on half and halfs vs steel. Are there any posts on this topic yet? Thx

New to this thread.

Having a hard time deciding on half and halfs vs steel. Are there any posts on this topic yet? Thx

Welcome to THP! As far as the differences between those shafts, the Half/Half should launch the ball a bit higher than the steel uniflex shafts, according to some posts in this thread. I believe THP member RonInThornton has the Di11s with the Half/Half shaft, and multitudes (myself included) have hit or have owned the Di11s in the steel shaft.

THx. It looks like the 1/2 and 1/2 shaft is 20g less in weight then the steel. Im 55 yo and in decent shape so I don't think 20g will make a difference. They do look cool but alittle gimmicky maybe.

THx. It looks like the 1/2 and 1/2 shaft is 20g less in weight then the steel. Im 55 yo and in decent shape so I don't think 20g will make a difference. They do look cool but alittle gimmicky maybe.

I know that Ron LOVES the HH shafts, but I just enjoy looking down at a steel shafted iron...but that's personal preference.

Nothing gimmicky about them, those shafts are money

No idea on the lamkins, but most grips weigh in at around 52g.

You were right...I confirmed with Lamkin that the stock Wilson di11 grips are 50 grams +/- 3 grams.

Got to play my first 9 holes with my new di11's. Went with Uniflex steel version, std lie, std length. I was fitted for std lie and 1/2" short but got std length and gripping down for now. May shorten them down the road.
I must say I adapted quick.

Played my local" home" course. Some highlights from my round

Hole 1 - Dog leg right down a hill. Hit a great drive and had 115 in. This shot for me is tricky because the ball is always above your feet because of the slope of the FW. I normally push or pull the ball and miss the green. Pulled the GW out and stuck it on the green about 20' below the hole. Missed the bird, but tapped in for par. I would say my average on this hole is about a 5.8 so I was grinning.

Hole 2 - Pulled my drive into the left rough and short. Left me 145 in to an elevated green. 145 is my 7i but since it is uphill and in some thick stuff I opted for 6i. The 6i cut through the rough like a hot knife though butter and I never even had to really go really hard after it. Ball came out nice and ended up on the front fringe. Took out the di11 GW and tried to carry it to the back upper tier of the green but I caught it too thin and the ball ended up on the back fringe. Lag putt came up real short but sunk a long putt to save bogey.

Hole 3 - bad from start to finish, nothing worth mentioning as it was not the irons fault; Hit driver, hybrid punch out then had an awful lie on the side of a hill. struck the GW decent but came up short, short game was horrific... took a 7...yuck

Hole 4 - Par 3; 115 yds. I took GW and hit it awesome right at the flag, ball actually hit about 4' away from the pin but the green is sloped from back to front and the ball rolled back about 15' to the fringe. Nice lag and tap in for par.

Hole 5 - Nothing here worth really mentioning as I hit driver, hybrid then was blocked by a tree so punched out and had a short pitch to the back of the green. carded a bogey (par 5).

Hole 6 - skipped and went ahead of a slow playing group. Bummer because I laced my drive here and only had about a 9i in...grrrrr
gave myself a conservative 5 on the score card...lol

Hole 7 - Par 5, Drive, 5w, left me about 40 yds in. Was hesitant to pull the GW as I hadn't been hitting all that well around the greens.
I hit it anyway and caught it crisp. Ball landed soft, released a little and ended up 5' away from the pin. Missed the short birdie putt, tapped in for par.

Hole 8 - Par 4, had 105 in and green was up hill. Hit GW and it hit the green towards the back and ended up on the fringe. 2 putted for par.

Hole 9 - Par 3, 118 yards over a pond. Tried to clobber the GW and should have hit a soft PW. Ball hit the front of the green but its sloped back to front and it sucked back and went into the water.
Took a drop and finished with a 5.

4 pars on these 9 holes probably matches my best ever so I am feeling really good about the new irons.
I was concerned the stock length would be way too long for me as I am only 5' 4" but I noticed with the 9 through GW I don't really need to grip down, I only start gripping down with 8 on up.

My only vice is that I wish that the wedges were 45* and 50* but oh well.
My old Burner plus 50* GW was my club of choice for anything under 100 yds. I may drop one of my hybrids to add the 50* back into the bag. Using a 44* GW just never seemed to get the ball up high enough on the short work around the greens. Maybe I just need more time with it but I prefer the trajectory of the 50* right now.

The biggest problem I had with my Burner plus irons is that I would line up a shot and strike the ball well with my intended distance but would slightly push it or pull it missing the green. Those TM irons were 3/4" short and 2* flat. After a few fittings I found out I did not need a flat lie. If anything std in some irons like the di11 or even upright in some irons like Pings. I noticed my approach shots were much more accurate today with the di11. I hope it wasn't just beginners luck. Really liking these sticks.

Thanks for all the feedback on here and for all the original testers for helping me pull the trigger on these. I think these will be in my bag for years to come.

Got another 9 holes planned tomorrow at a different course. Can't wait.

I went to a local Edwin Watts to buy some Di11's with steel shafts. The salesman promptly led me away from the Wilson section and straight to the Mizuno JPX-800's. Told me I should stay away from the fat shafts.

I told him adios and told him I am taking my business elsewhere to buy the Di11's. He talked his way right out of a sale.

Oh well, I found them 120.00 cheaper online anyway so it was meant to be.

While I'm at it, does anyone have any experience with the Mizuno JPX-800? All I know is that they are expensive. $$$$$

Hole 2 - Pulled my drive into the left rough and short. Left me 145 in to an elevated green. 145 is my 7i but since it is uphill and in some thick stuff I opted for 6i. The 6i cut through the rough like a hot knife though butter and I never even had to really go really hard after it. Ball came out nice and ended up on the front fringe. Took out the di11 GW and tried to carry it to the back upper tier of the green but I caught it too thin and the ball ended up on the back fringe. Lag putt came up real short but sunk a long putt to save bogey.

I agree with this, the irons seem to cut through a reasonable amount of grass with ease. I used to club up in the rough with my old irons, but if I'm in grass of 2 inch or less I'll just go with my normal club selection and the irons cut straight through it.

While I'm at it, does anyone have any experience with the Mizuno JPX-800? All I know is that they are expensive. $$$$$

Congrats on the purchase. I just got my di11's this week and after one range session and one 9 hole outing I am glad I pulled the trigger on them.

My buddy plays the JPX800s. The JPX series is Mizuno's Game Improvement line.
If I had to compare the JPX800's to the Wilson lineup the they would be similar to the Wilson Ci11's.
For super game improvement Mizuno makes the JPX-800 HD, which would be similar to the Di11's.

Hope that helps. and yes Mizzy's are pricey but they are well made and have a great rep in the golf community.

Were your testing half/half or steel? Thx

I tested the Half and Half, still playing them and someone will have to pry them out of my cold dead fingers to get me to stop playing them

@RonInThornton

I see you are playing a 52* di9 wedge. I only see a 49.5* wedge in the di9 set. Did you have it have bent to 52*?

I need something around the 50-52* mark for 100 yds and under shots to go with the di11 set as I hit the 46* GW about 110 yds and considered going with the di9 49.5* and having it bent or was thinking about trying out the Wilson Tw9 50* or 52* wedge. The Tw9 series seems more along the lines of a true blade style wedge and I prefer more of the iron set 50* since they are usually more forgiving.

Anyone here have any experience with the Tw9 50* or 52*? Any forgiveness to it?

@RonInThornton

I see you are playing a 52* di9 wedge. I only see a 49.5* wedge in the di9 set. Did you have it have bent to 52*?

I need something around the 50-52* mark for 100 yds and under shots to go with the di11 set as I hit the 46* GW about 110 yds and considered going with the di9 49.5* and having it bent or was thinking about trying out the Wilson Tw9 50* or 52* wedge. The Tw9 series seems more along the lines of a true blade style wedge and I prefer more of the iron set 50* since they are usually more forgiving.

Anyone here have any experience with the Tw9 50* or 52*? Any forgiveness to it?

I have the Tw9 wedges in 52/56/60, and I've had my on and off days with them to be honest. For me, I have a steep iron swing, so I tend to dig the ball. So these wedges cut through turf VERY easily, but I have hit some shots fat and short because of cutting under the ball. But, lately, I have been a bit better at getting ball first and these wedges do have quite a bit of spin when struck well (and when using a decent ball of course). I do enjoy the 52* for greenside use as well.

I have the Tw9 wedges in 52/56/60, and I've had my on and off days with them to be honest. For me, I have a steep iron swing, so I tend to dig the ball. So these wedges cut through turf VERY easily, but I have hit some shots fat and short because of cutting under the ball. But, lately, I have been a bit better at getting ball first and these wedges do have quite a bit of spin when struck well (and when using a decent ball of course). I do enjoy the 52* for greenside use as well.

Cool, thanks for the insight.

I currently have a Vokey 54* SW but the bounce on it is a 12, so for me it makes it very difficult to hit off the turf especially if you don't strike the ball perfectly first. I have a tendency to hit behind the ball, then the club just bounces on the turf then into the ball and leads to a mishit. The 60* vokey I have, has become a nemesis of mine as its too high risk, high reward for me to pull anymore. Its either a nice stick by the pin or a 40 yd blade past the hole, lol So I only pull it if I need to quickly get up and down over say a bunker or swail in front of the green.

I learned from Wilson that the bounce on the di11 SW is an 8 which would be much more hittable for me from the FW. So I may just pull the trigger on it, even though it would almost be a 10* gap between it and the GW. I still have my 50* from my TM Burner Plus set that I can put back into the bag if needbe. So its not a major deal.

Also looking at the Mizzuno JPX GW. Very nice lookin clubs, although I don't like the $100 price tag.

Also I would still like to hear from Ron to see if he bent his Di9 GW to get it to be 52*.

I just ordered my set of Di11's today. I also ordered the sand wedge to go with it. After reading the reviews I can't wait for them to come in. For those of you who are wondering, I live quite a ways from a decent place to hit different clubs before I buy them. I am relying on you guys;)

May I ask where you ordered them from and for how much? I am getting ready to order a set for 399.00. Steel shafts. Thx

Back