Question regarding Korean players

julie_m

EveryoneLovesACallyGirl
Reaction score
So Korean players have flooded the LPGA. Just saw a story on how it can be attributed to parents...when a child shows interest, they push her and drive her, etc etc.

If this is true, how come Koreans aren't all over the Nationwide and PGA tours?

I think they are coming up slowly, many are reluctant to cross over from the Asian tours as well. KJ Choi is from South Korea though.

dunno but my korean friend only has played for a short time and still rarely plays yet he rolls out of bed, no warm up shots and yet still is able to shoot in the mid to low 80's like nothing. I bust my ass off and can't even do that.

I believe they are coming to the PGA. A recent winner was from there. Yang IIRC. However the PGA is much more competitive right now than the LPGA IMHO. 10-15 years ago when these kids got started, the LPGA was not as desirable for young women in America. Times are changing.

Id agree that the competition is a lot tougher in the PGA than it is in the LPGA. You are seeing more and more Korean men making some noise in the PGA though.

Bingo.

It also has a lot to do with opportunities for young women in Korea. It remains a very patriarchal society, and young women don't have a lot of chances to advance in business, government, etc. When Se Ri Pak made her splash, a lot of parent with ambitions for their daughters saw golf as a viable career path.

Do tennis boards ask the same question about Russians and other former SSRs?

While many SSR countries dominate in tennis, it has never been at the rate that the LPGA has going for it at one time. Not to my recollection anyway. It went from Pak to entire leaderboards in the blink of an eye to casual fans.

It also has a lot to do with opportunities for young women in Korea. It remains a very patriarchal society, and young women don't have a lot of chances to advance in business, government, etc. When Se Ri Pak made her splash, a lot of parent with ambitions for their daughters saw golf as a viable career path.

Do tennis boards ask the same question about Russians and other former SSRs?

That's actually false. Korea is a very matriarchal society. I would know, my best friend is 100% Korean.

And with the topic on hand, I think because of Se Ri Pak, many young Korean girls started playing golf, and now it's the normal thing for Korean girls to do. But on the guy's side there never has been that one big contributor to the men's side for the young Korean boys.

That's actually false. Korea is a very matriarchal society. I would know, my best friend is 100% Korean.

And with the topic on hand, I think because of Se Ri Pak, many young Korean girls started playing golf, and now it's the normal thing for Korean girls to do. But on the guy's side there never has been that one big contributor to the men's side for the young Korean boys.

Korean boys continue to have many more career options available than Korean girls.

I know this is Japanese, not Korean, but some variant of Office Lady? No thank you.

Korean boys continue to have many more career options available than Korean girls.

I know this is Japanese, not Korean, but some variant of Office Lady? No thank you.

I can't really speak much on job opportunities, but I would assume, based on what my friend has told me, that the job situation over there is fairly close to ours here in the US. A lot of people have the wrong image of Korea because of North Korea, South Korea is a pretty modernized country now.

Back