avega

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I would love any feedback and opinions on my driver shaft selection. I just got fit and was told that I should be in a 73 to 75 gram driver shaft stiff flex at 43.5 inches (I'm 5ft 4). Swing speed is 97-98 avg and I fight a hook. I have my selection down to a few options, but am unsure what is the best choice/ value to make. These are what I am thinking about.

Mitsubishi Javln fx v 73 g stiff

Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 73 g stiff (via ebay)

SK fiber Corsair 75 - 77 g stiff

Matrix kujoh 75 g stiff

[h=1][/h]Thanks

Were these the options your fitter gave you? I could be wrong since I haven't looked it up but aren't the Javelin and Whiteboard different types of shafts, ie meaning launch and torque.

**Tappin' from the center of the middle of the fairway**

Didnt the fitter put you in a specfic shaft????

If you had a fitting and they gave you that much info I would be incredibly suprised if they didn't give you at least a list of shafts you should be looking at.

Didnt the fitter put you in a specfic shaft????

If you had a fitting and they gave you that much info I would be incredibly suprised if they didn't give you at least a list of shafts you should be looking at.

This! Kind of makes you wonder what you are paying the fitter for. But, I really like the Diamana Whiteboard from your list above, but I have no basis of comparison because I have never messed with any of the others. Damn shame you need a 73g option, because I have a 63g Stiff laying around, not being used.

The fitter didn't give me a list only the gram and shaft flex that I had mentioned in the original post, with a couple shafts that fit in the criteria. I came up with that list based on my research and the golf works shaft selector tool. I tend to fight a hook, and like to swing down pretty hard, but am unsure if the Whiteboard is too much shaft for me. My main concern is that given my height and the weight of the shaft I can't really try any of these out on a range. I like the Whiteboard, but am worried that it might feel too firm, although anything would be an improvement from my current shaft, a stock R flex 50 something g Diamana from my original Nike Sasquatch. I really could use some guidance from folks who have played any of these shafts.

I would have thought the fitter would have told you what type of kick point, torque, firm/soft butt flex, firm/soft mid flex. From the info you gave and your swing speed, I would think the Whiteboard in stiff, 73g, and that length might be too stiff for your swing speed. Also, what head is this going on? Head weight will make a big diff also. Too light of a head with the weight and stiffness you specified will play stiffer. I could be wrong but that has been my experience. My SS is 98-105 which puts me in between R or S depending on brand. I've used a Diamana Blue in R flex at 44.75 length on a Cobra ZL and it felt too boardy to me. I've used that shaft config on a R5 TP head and totally different results.

I feel you may need to go back to your fitter and get some recommendations on kick point, torque, firm/soft butt to help you narrow down your choices better.

I can tell you right now the Whiteboard will be too stiff for you. The weight and flex is more for a 105+ swing speed. You won't be able to load the shaft, at all. It is designed more for draw hitters because of the stiff tip section.

Sorry but this sounds like a terrible fitting. You paid to get fit and all they offered you was shaft weight? Shaft weight is really only important for control. It will also naturally make shafts play stiffer. You probably want something a little lighter than that.

This is true, more information is needed from the fitter. That said, I did hit a stiff flex. 73 g shaft at the fitting and range and it went longer and straighter then any other lighter shaft I tried. I do play a natural draw and have been fighting a hook with my current driver. I am planning on getting a different driver head with the shaft, but thought shape was more of a factor with this selection then weight. What should I really expect from a fitting? I feel a bit let down with the results I got.

This is true, more information is needed from the fitter. That said, I did hit a stiff flex. 73 g shaft at the fitting and range and it went longer and straighter then any other lighter shaft I tried. I do play a natural draw and have been fighting a hook with my current driver. I am planning on getting a different driver head with the shaft, but thought shape was more of a factor with this selection then weight. What should I really expect from a fitting? I feel a bit let down with the results I got.
It really depends where you got fit and what you paid for? Some places may have a tiered pricing structure, like $50 for the cheapest fitting which would be very limited, but $150 for the premium. The places I have been to is a flat price, for xxx amount of time (ie. 2 hours). The fitter will spend all that time with you reviewing your swing and launch numbers. He will recommend shaft and club options and you continue to test the recommended equipment on the launch monitors looking for the optimum launch figures to get the best results (tight dispersion, good launch angle, low spin, high smash factor, etc.). There are numerous measurable statistics used in these fittings.

It does sound like you got short handed. Then again, perhaps this is exactly what you paid for.

I have a diamana 73 stiff in a superfast TP 8.5 that I am either getting a new shaft or a new club. I hit a X shaft and it was easier to control and went farther. That is a .335 tip if your interested. Has a new winn midsize grip too.

one thing to keep in mind , in a 43.5 driver length shaft will play stiffer than specs and swing weight will be lower.

So if the swing weight drops then the 73 g shaft will play more like a 65 g shaft? What would happen if a 50 g shaft was cut down to 43 inches? is the feel the same as if choking down 2 inches? Also, given the increase in stiffness would a R flex be recommended at around a 100 mph swing speed? Or is the a shorter Stiff flex better even if it leans toward the X side of things?

Thanks

So if the swing weight drops then the 73 g shaft will play more like a 65 g shaft? What would happen if a 50 g shaft was cut down to 43 inches? is the feel the same as if choking down 2 inches? Also, given the increase in stiffness would a R flex be recommended at around a 100 mph swing speed? Or is the a shorter Stiff flex better even if it leans toward the X side of things?

Thanks
Well... heavier shaft is going to play stiffer and have a naturally lower torque. So unless you know you can swing that, I would go with a lighter R shaft and cut it down to whatever length and it'll play more between a R and S, or S.

You can always use lead tape to increase the swing weight if you fancy a heavier club.

I have probably learned too much about swing weight and torque though this forum and obsessive internet research, at this point then I probably should, but my dilemma:

I am not a tall fellow (5ft 4in, but pretty athletic) and feel most comfortable choking down on a 45.75in driver about 3in, effectively making it a 42.75in driver. (this seems consistent with the Tom Wishon school of thought)

If I cut 2 inches off my brand new driver I will drop my swing weight from D5-D3 (range given to me by Nike for my new driver) to a C4-C2.

Is this drop in swing weight why I loose accuracy off the tee? I would rather not put lead tape on the new head, but also want to feel comfortable and gain accuracy without losing tons of distance.

My questions are; is there really a difference between cutting the shaft down and choking down, in other words, when I choke down on this club now am I effectively feeling the same thing as if I cut the shaft?

Would I gain accuracy from a higher swing weight? If so are there any other ways of increasing swing weight without putting tape on the head and would I gain swing weight by playing a heavier shaft, cut to 43 inches?

I really appreciate your help in this. I am really interested in improving my game and the lessons are starting to pay off, but want to make sure my equipment will respond best to the way that I swing.

Thanks

Honestly swing weight has absolutely nothing to do with accuracy. It's personal comfort level, as in are you more comfortable swinging a D2 (lighter) or D3 (heavier) club? What makes it more accurate is if you and your swing is more tailored to a certain weight.

Here's a chart I googled real quick
http://www.golf-components.com/swing-weight-chart-woods.html

So if you're going to cut it down, and lose weight from that small part of the shaft, you're probably going to feel out of your comfort zone. Lighter swing weights or shafts usually lead to sky balls.

Unless your driver allows you to add weight, your only option really is lead tape. Or obtaining a heavier shaft and cutting that down. Lead tape isn't a bad thing TBH. I have a strip to add a swing weight to my 910 setup. It's easy to apply and easy to remove - I use it all the time on my putters and it doesn't leave any residue or marks. Just put it on the sole of the club.

I should add, conventional wisdom says heavier clubs are easier to hit.

Old school of thought though, like saying use a heavy putter on slow greens and a light putter for fast greens.

I don't necessarily agree with either of the above. Just my personal take.

I could be wrong but this from I experienced when I went through the process of shortening my driver. Not only will it lower the swing weight, but it also changes the feel (heaviness) of the head. Putting a heavier shaft and shorter length could make the head feel lighter. You could offset this (make head feel heavier) by putting a super light grip. Another end result of shortening the shaft is that it changes the balance point. I could be wrong in that since I'm not a clubmaker. I didn't realize how many factors there are to consider when trying to shorten a club. I've always played 44.5 until this year. I've come to accept that I needed to find a club with the feel and performance I'm looking for regardless of length. Unless I'm replacing a shaft with the same weight and length. It got too frustrating and too much $$$ trying different shafts. It was more cost effective to buy the correct driver off the bat. Unless you got the $$$ to tinker with different shafts.

If you don't like the idea of using lead tape, read up on "hot melt". I almost did this until I found my "new found love", Nike VRS.

Back