14-Year-Old Alexis Thompson in Kraft Nabisco

Dave Andrews

Reaction score
Handicap
Not many 8th graders will ever have to take a week off from school to play in an LPGA tournament. 14-year-old Alexis Thompson from Coral Springs, Florida is doing just that this week. She will be competing in the LPGA’s Kraft Nabisco Championship in Rancho Mirage, California (April 2nd to 5th).

The Kraft Nabisco is the first major of the LPGA season, and the tour traditionally invites a few of the best amateur women golfers in the country to compete in the event. The four other amateurs playing this week are all current college standouts. Alexis Thompson is still four years away from college unless, of course, she decides to turn professional when she is done with high school.

Despite her young age, Thompson, who turned 14 just a few weeks ago, is no stranger to playing with the best women golfers in the world. This will be her third time teeing it up against the likes of Lorena Ochoa, Paula Creamer, and Cristie Kerr. In 2007, Thompson became the youngest player ever to qualify for a U.S. Women’s Open. She qualified for the Open again last year. She failed to make the cut in either event, but just making the field at such a young age was impressive enough. Last year she won the U.S. Girls Junior Championship and has several other amateur titles to her credit.

Thompson put her remarkable talent on display in early March when she played in the Florida Women’s Open in Orlando. Competing against 120 women, most of them professionals on the LPGA or the Duramed Futures Tour, Thompson fired a 66 on the first day of the event and a 69 on the second day. She held a one-stroke lead in the tournament going into the final round at 9 under par. She faltered on the final day, shooting a 75, and ended up in a tie for second place. She finished the event just one stroke behind the winner, LPGA veteran Kris Tamulis, who is literally twice her age.

Thompson comes from a golfing family. Her 26-year-old brother, Nicholas, is a fourth year pro on the PGA. Her other brother is also a standout in junior golf. She will likely attempt to qualify for the U.S. Women’s Open again this year. She has grown several inches over the last year and is now hitting her woods and iron shots much longer than last year. At just 14, she appears destined for stardom in golf at a very young age.

Lexi can play, but has struggled at the big stage (atleast in terms of cuts). We wish her the best.

Thanks, Dave.

It took some doing (the LPGA doesn't make this easy, grrrr), but the other four amateurs are Amanda Blumenherst, Tiffany Joh, Azahara Munoz, and Candace Schepperle. I'm disappointed that Maria Jose Uribe isn't in there because she's so much fun to watch.

Good for her. Be great if she makes the cut.

Man I would hate to play her, she would thrash me on the course!

But I wish her the best of luck on the big stage. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a good amount of TV time because of her story.

How cool would that be? Good luck to her. That's a lot of pressure for a 14 year old.

I'll try to follow her a bit, and maybe talk to some of her fans. Let's see if I can spot the proud family members.

She is a very talented golfer with the right connections. How many golfers do you see that can get exemptions into professional tournaments at such a young age.

I just hope that her parents/advisors don't make the same mistakes that Wie's handlers have. It would be a shame, personally I hope she goes to college and plays. She will have plenty of opportunities to make money playing professionally, but she will only have one chance to enjoy the experience of playing as part of a collegiate team.

I just hope that her parents/advisors don't make the same mistakes that Wie's handlers have. It would be a shame, personally I hope she goes to college and plays. She will have plenty of opportunities to make money playing professionally, but she will only have one chance to enjoy the experience of playing as part of a collegiate team.

Unfortunately, I have heard stories from reliable sources that her father is a complete d-bag. Berating her and making her cry at tournaments.

Harry,
Those do not seem to be too far off. We have heard those same stories. We have also seen a couple of "close calls" after a round.

Unfortunately, I have heard stories from reliable sources that her father is a complete d-bag. Berating her and making her cry at tournaments.

Harry,
Those do not seem to be too far off. We have heard those same stories. We have also seen a couple of "close calls" after a round.

Well that really sucks, why not just let the kid play the game? She obviously has the talent to play at an elite level, it seems like the parents are more interested in the payday. I understand pushing your kids to excel, I want my kids to put maximum effort into everything they are going to do. Giving constructive criticism and instruction is one thing, but to berate the kid to the point of tears is unacceptable.

thats just crazy. when i was in 8th grade i wasnt committed to ANYTHING. i hope she does well

On the topic of her parents, I've heard and read that she turns to her older brother Nicholas for any help with stuff, and that he is extremely supportive of her.

Back