Wedges with lofts higher than 60*

ActionJackson8

KAHHHHHNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Is anyone here using these? Why did you switch to one and what type of shots/how often do you use it?

Thanks,

-Adam

I purcahased a Solus 61 degree wedge on ebay for $55 mint condition. I really like the club and it will spin the heck out of the ball. I use it for short sided and down wind pitches and chips. I haven't really figured out what distance a full shot goes for me because the wind has been blowing like crazy all spring.

BTW does anybody else use a Solus wedge?

I really liked Solus wedges for a while. They look great and feel great. They had more spin than my Vokeys but not nearly the spin as the Eidolons or Nickents that I was also testing at the time.

To answer your question AJ, I have a 64* wedge that I use depending on the course that I play.

I use to use a 64* Cleveland 588 wedge. I liked it.

I used to have a 68* wedge. I think the brandname was Pinemeadow. It was great for little 30 yard flop shots.
I dont have it anymore because it seemed kind of silly to have a club that was a 1 trick pony when I could accomplish the same thing by laying open the face of a 60* wedge.

I used to have a 68* wedge. I think the brandname was Pinemeadow. It was great for little 30 yard flop shots.
I dont have it anymore because it seemed kind of silly to have a club that was a 1 trick pony when I could accomplish the same thing by laying open the face of a 60* wedge.

haha, I have a 68* wedge. Some component club. It's fun to use out at the practice green.

I used to have a 72* Feel wedge- it was overkill for me.

But I now have my 45* Cally, and my 52*, 58* and 64* Vokeys

64* can be very useful!

I think anything over 60 should be illegal. I think it is making bunker shots to easy, especially on the pro tour.

At what degree do you have to start worrying about it hitting you in the face?:act-up:

Haven't owned anything greater than a 60º & don't even have that anymore as I was way too inconsistent with it. Did borrow a buddys 64º for 1 shot, have no idea what brand it was.

theres a company that makes an 80º wedge, lol. and i too used to have one of the FEEL 72º wedges. it was a lil ridiculous actually. i also have a brand new, never used, Odyssey 61º wedge. i think its like 12 years old and it still has the plastic on it, hehe. but, now Im just using a 60º.

I think anything over 60 should be illegal. I think it is making bunker shots to easy, especially on the pro tour.

Even if Rory wants one? :D

I have a 62* dunlop wedge. I use to use it in my back as a practice club, while using those low distance soft rubber balls. I could take a pretty good swing with it, and not worry about the ball leaving my yard. I became proficient with it due to all the back yard use, and put it in my bag one day. It's been there ever since. I use it for green side bunkers, short flop shots, short pitches, and even short chips from the fringe. I find that I use it about 7, or 8 times during a round. :comp:

There are a couple of VERY tight ocean courses around here where everything breaks towards the cliff/water and the rough is thick. I will probably order a Cally X-forged 64* with my new irons as an option but I don't expect it to be a regular/permanent fixture in my bag.

Back