Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

Oh no yorkem!!! That is a disaster hopefully they can get it smoothed up for you!

I hope so. Will be by the shop tomorrow to see what they say

That is a bummer, yorkem. Stupid rocks.

furious bro. messed with my head for the next 2 holes.

That blows Yorkem, didn't hurt yourself did you?

Thank goodness no, I did not get hurt, but it vibrated the heck out of my hands as you can imagine.

Ouch Yorkem. That happened to me last year down in Missouri from beside the green. Last place you'd expect to have a big rock. Needless to say, I dug it out to expose it so that nobody else suffered a huge gash in their wedge. Adding insult to injury was not only was the shot bad but it felt like I broke my hand when I hit the rock.

I dug it out and threw it in the next water hazard I came to.

I am still pi$$ed about it, but what are you going to do? I guess I have my crappy rocky lie club now.

DOH!!! Went to Costco to pick up the 52 & 60 to complete my set... and of course they were gone.... :banghead:

Going to give mine another try this afternoon. I like them just got to get my distances down with them. I will say this they are hands down better for me then the Vokeys

These wedges really saved me earlier today in my round, and then I realized that I hadn't updated this thread in a while. I've got the 588 wedges in RTG finish in 50, 54, and 58. Around the greens today, I hit a lot of nice shots with the 54 and 58 degree wedge, and that led to 5 1-putt greens on the back nine. Immediately after I got these wedges, I'll admit that I fell in love with the 58 degree wedge, and actually used it too much around the greens in some situations where I need a lower shot. I found that it doesn't work well for me to try to hit low shots around the greens with the 58, the ball will still have a bunch of spin and not release all that much with this club. So the 58 is now my main sand club, as well as the club I hit when I need to hit it high and soft around the greens. For example, I came up about 10 yards short on a par 3 where I was about 3-4 feet below the level of the green, with the pin on the front of the green. I was able to get the ball up onto the putting surface quickly, but then also get some check on the ball, leaving myself 3 feet away from the hole for an easy par.

The 54 is what I'm using a lot more for shots that need to have a little rollout on them around the greens. I can also use the 50 for that type of shot, but I'm really having some fun with the 54, especially when I put it back in my stance and have my hands forward to get the ball to come out lower. Also, I've been able to dial in my 54 as my 100 yard club, this will be my primary layup distance on par 5s that I can't reach in 2 shots. Finally, the 54 also works well as a club for longer sand shots, I had a shot today from a bunker that was probably 15 yards short of the green and I was able to get the ball onto the green easily. It feels good to have another option out of the sand for longer shots instead of trying to take a huge swing with the 58 in that situation.

The only big issue that I've had with these wedges is that the yardage gap between the 50 and the 54 has only been about 10 yards, whereas I used to have a gap of about 15 yards between my old 54 degree wedge and the A-wedge in my prior iron set. That has only affected about 1-2 shots per round, and has actually made me get a little more creative with taking something off of my 588 pitching wedge, but it's a work in progress right now. After the Morgan Cup, I may explore getting the 50 reshafted with a KBS Tour shaft to match my irons instead of having the DG Spinner in there, as I don't need as much spin on the 50 as I do on the 54 and 58.

If anyone sees a good deal on these I am looking at getting a 50 and a 60 to keep my 56 company :act-up:

These wedges really saved me earlier today in my round, and then I realized that I hadn't updated this thread in a while. I've got the 588 wedges in RTG finish in 50, 54, and 58. Around the greens today, I hit a lot of nice shots with the 54 and 58 degree wedge, and that led to 5 1-putt greens on the back nine. Immediately after I got these wedges, I'll admit that I fell in love with the 58 degree wedge, and actually used it too much around the greens in some situations where I need a lower shot. I found that it doesn't work well for me to try to hit low shots around the greens with the 58, the ball will still have a bunch of spin and not release all that much with this club. So the 58 is now my main sand club, as well as the club I hit when I need to hit it high and soft around the greens. For example, I came up about 10 yards short on a par 3 where I was about 3-4 feet below the level of the green, with the pin on the front of the green. I was able to get the ball up onto the putting surface quickly, but then also get some check on the ball, leaving myself 3 feet away from the hole for an easy par.

The 54 is what I'm using a lot more for shots that need to have a little rollout on them around the greens. I can also use the 50 for that type of shot, but I'm really having some fun with the 54, especially when I put it back in my stance and have my hands forward to get the ball to come out lower. Also, I've been able to dial in my 54 as my 100 yard club, this will be my primary layup distance on par 5s that I can't reach in 2 shots. Finally, the 54 also works well as a club for longer sand shots, I had a shot today from a bunker that was probably 15 yards short of the green and I was able to get the ball onto the green easily. It feels good to have another option out of the sand for longer shots instead of trying to take a huge swing with the 58 in that situation.

The only big issue that I've had with these wedges is that the yardage gap between the 50 and the 54 has only been about 10 yards, whereas I used to have a gap of about 15 yards between my old 54 degree wedge and the A-wedge in my prior iron set. That has only affected about 1-2 shots per round, and has actually made me get a little more creative with taking something off of my 588 pitching wedge, but it's a work in progress right now. After the Morgan Cup, I may explore getting the 50 reshafted with a KBS Tour shaft to match my irons instead of having the DG Spinner in there, as I don't need as much spin on the 50 as I do on the 54 and 58.

Nice update. I went with the KBS tour to match my irons in the 50* for the same reasons.

Nice thoughts Ary. I love that shot with the ball back in the stance. kind of a knockdown high spin shot. That has become one of my favorites as well.

I have the 54 and 58 Custom 588 (built on Cleveland's 'my custom wedge' site). I have the same issue with the 58 that you describe. I am having co-dependency issues with it. I use it way more then I should and use it in situations where I should most certainly be using the 54. Love them though. Great wedges.

I have the 54 and 58 Custom 588 (built on Cleveland's 'my custom wedge' site). I have the same issue with the 58 that you describe. I am having co-dependency issues with it. I use it way more then I should and use it in situations where I should most certainly be using the 54. Love them though. Great wedges.

First off, I felt the same way regarding the bolded, Ary. Honesty, I sort of ran out of things to say. It's hard to recall wedge shots sometime. In fact, probably my best shot of the night tonight was a chip with the 57 from the fringe that saved par by stopping 6 inches from the cup. I just always forget those little round savers.

I also use the 57 a lot just off the green, but got out of it since I read so many things saying I 'should' use a lower lofted club. Forget all that. I like it and it works really well for me in that role.

Nice post ary! I don't have 588's but I feel like I've been relying on my 58 a lot. Sometimes when I probably shouldn't. That and my 50 which I love. I've been avoiding the 54 since I bladed it a few rounds back.

Tbh, I really need to put some work in and really figure out wedge distances. I have a few days off coming up and I think I'm gonna find a field somewhere and try to get my distances sorted out. I've been reading some of the short game bible and want to try some of that out.

That's a good plan, Centre.

Nice post ary! I don't have 588's but I feel like I've been relying on my 58 a lot. Sometimes when I probably shouldn't. That and my 50 which I love. I've been avoiding the 54 since I bladed it a few rounds back.

Tbh, I really need to put some work in and really figure out wedge distances. I have a few days off coming up and I think I'm gonna find a field somewhere and try to get my distances sorted out. I've been reading some of the short game bible and want to try some of that out.

I need to do that as well.. Since I have the 48, 52, and 58, I need to approach two options:
a.) Get them all bent 2* strong to 50, 54, and 58
or
b.) Sell the 48 and pick up a 60*

I just feel like the 48 isn't utilized much since I have a 45 in my Pithcing wedge, but than again, I really need my distances to know how much of a gap there is..

Back to the 588's I ave developed a SICK flop shot with the 56, just need to get my 20-60 yd shot down

I played the other day and for the first time I felt really confident with my wedges, I made some slight adjustments to my chipping and everything just felt good off the face and the ball checked up or rolled out nicely. I will say mine have wore considerably on the bottom but o well.

I need to do that as well.. Since I have the 48, 52, and 58, I need to approach two options:
a.) Get them all bent 2* strong to 50, 54, and 58
or
b.) Sell the 48 and pick up a 60*

I just feel like the 48 isn't utilized much since I have a 45 in my Pithcing wedge, but than again, I really need my distances to know how much of a gap there is..

Back to the 588's I ave developed a SICK flop shot with the 56, just need to get my 20-60 yd shot down

Is there any way you can camp out on a hole and hit some shots into a green? I know it seems like it shouldn't, but I bet that's a better gap than you think. I just say that based off the time I spent testing the Nike VRS irons while still carrying a blade wedge. I actually had a 49° VRS and a 50° CG-15 and it still wasn't too bad.

I played the other day and for the first time I felt really confident with my wedges, I made some slight adjustments to my chipping and everything just felt good off the face and the ball checked up or rolled out nicely. I will say mine have wore considerably on the bottom but o well.

Black Pearl finish? If so, that's pretty much unavoidable.

Yeah that is my next step hawk. I Think doing that on a hole will reassure me
That the gap is definitely manageable

That or go to a school with a decent size field when nobody's around. The only problem is the grass isn't going to be the same.

Is there any way you can camp out on a hole and hit some shots into a green? I know it seems like it shouldn't, but I bet that's a better gap than you think. I just say that based off the time I spent testing the Nike VRS irons while still carrying a blade wedge. I actually had a 49° VRS and a 50° CG-15 and it still wasn't too bad.

Black Pearl finish? If so, that's pretty much unavoidable.

Yeah black pearl, I expected it but it just seemed to happen quickly.

I'm not a big fan of the in-between stage, but I like the BP after it's worn in a bit.

I think the smartest thing I ever did was read the Pelz book and apply that method to these wedges. The consistency I'm seeing with distance on partial shots is downright awesome for me right now. The only things I have to think about are 1) the ball (spinny or not) and 2) the condition of the greens. Yesterday I put a 1/2 swing 53° to less than a foot after a two hop and stop. Obviously, not able to do that every time when it comes to aiming, but the distance is almost always right for me.

I have never been a fan of Cleveland wedges for one reason or another. The black CG14 were the closest things to me liking one of their wedged....until now.

I am really loving the look of the satin 588. I do not like the tapered grip (on any wedge for that matter) but that is an easy fix.

I don't need any new wedges, but always want some. Still loving the Ping Tour S and the MP R12s too.

I think the smartest thing I ever did was read the Pelz book and apply that method to these wedges. The consistency I'm seeing with distance on partial shots is downright awesome for me right now. The only things I have to think about are 1) the ball (spinny or not) and 2) the condition of the greens. Yesterday I put a 1/2 swing 53° to less than a foot after a two hop and stop. Obviously, not able to do that every time when it comes to aiming, but the distance is almost always right for me.

I need to read this. I am always trying to improve technique on wedge play.

I have never been a fan of Cleveland wedges for one reason or another. The black CG14 were the closest things to me liking one of their wedged....until now.

I am really loving the look of the satin 588. I do not like the tapered grip (on any wedge for that matter) but that is an easy fix.

I don't need any new wedges, but always want some. Still loving the Ping Tour S and the MP R12s too.

well when you do need new ones, please give the 588's a try. they're game changers.
i don't think i'll ever own any other wedges...

I need to read this. I am always trying to improve technique on wedge play.

It's a good read. I didn't take everything from it as gospel, but it's really helped my 100 yards and in game.

well when you do need new ones, please give the 588's a try. they're game changers.
i don't think i'll ever own any other wedges...

I figure I'm going to grab a set of BP's for backups somewhere down the line.

I figure I'm going to grab a set of BP's for backups somewhere down the line.

i always say this about clubs when i get a set that i just love and hit so perfectly. it's hard to say that i'll still play the 588's, 10-20 years from now...cuz who knows what will be released from now until then. but man, i'm telling you what...it's hard to imagine that it gets any better than this.
regardless though, whatever does happen...i think they will definitely have to be BP's.

Back