Electronics Pondering with Kmac, Tmex and Coolbreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is the refresh rate?

If money isnt really a concern then you want the highest you can afford. Technically speaking the more the better but if you can actually tell the difference between 120 and 240 is debatable. EDIT: For the record I agree with pmoa about refresh rate. But higher usually means a better TV but not always. Here is my opinion. Best you can get with disregard to cost: Sony LED LCD. And I mean the best, most expensive model they make. Next is either LG or Samsung and my opinion is LG makes a great TV for less then Samsung but both are very good. After that Vizio but it varies greatly by what model you get with each. Heck when it comes to LED there are two kinds that separate the good from the very good. The very good are backlit LED TV's and all the others are edge lit LED TV's. If you want the best picture go with backlit or sometimes its called local dimming LED. If those are too expensive then you go with the edge lit which are what the majority of LED tv's in Best Buy are. You have to read the details or ask one of the nerds that work there and hopefully they know. Did any of that make any senes?

Not really. Unless you watch a lot of animation and gaming. The frequency that they advertise which is usually 60hz, 120 hz, and 240 hz, are marketing ploys. Unless you want movies looking "fake" set the tv on a higher refresh. They have technologies that try to increase the effective frame rate of what you are watching and try to anticipate the next frame to make the picture smoother. With Pixar films its amazing, with real actors not so much. Sorry for the long winded reply. Sort of a passion of mine :)

I appreciate the reply. I was in one store today where that had two Samsung's that were exactly the same but one had a refresh rate of 60 and the other 120. They were asking another $100 for the 120.

If money isnt really a concern then you want the highest you can afford. Technically speaking the more the better but if you can actually tell the difference between 120 and 240 is debatable. EDIT: For the record I agree with pmoa about refresh rate. But higher usually means a better TV but not always. Here is my opinion. Best you can get with disregard to cost: Sony LED LCD. And I mean the best, most expensive model they make. Next is either LG or Samsung and my opinion is LG makes a great TV for less then Samsung but both are very good. After that Vizio but it varies greatly by what model you get with each. Heck when it comes to LED there are two kinds that separate the good from the very good. The very good are backlit LED TV's and all the others are edge lit LED TV's. If you want the best picture go with backlit or sometimes its called local dimming LED. If those are too expensive then you go with the edge lit which are what the majority of LED tv's in Best Buy are. You have to read the details or ask one of the nerds that work there and hopefully they know. Did any of that make any senes?

Perfect sense and exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

I appreciate the reply. I was in one store today where that had two Samsung's that were exactly the same but one had a refresh rate of 60 and the other 120. They were asking another $100 for the 120.

I never even use the 120 even though I have it. But check the other features...typically the TVs may have different contrast ratios and slower response times 5ms or 9ms

You know what I usually go by with TV's? I buy the most expensive one I can afford. Simple as that. Figure out the size and then if I have some crazy devout hatred or love (Apple thread) of a certain brand and go from there. Find the appropriate forums and feedback on the models and brands I narrow it down to and then go look at them. But I very much believe when it comes to most electronics you get what you pay for. There is a reason the SanuiDigitalDeluxe is only $299 while the Samsung or LG is $699. One is the name haha. After that its plain and simply quality.

Thanks again for the responses guys. I think I have it narrowed down. We really don't watch much TV. It will be used by the kids for video games and we will watch some movies but that is about it.

Thanks again for the responses guys. I think I have it narrowed down. We really don't watch much TV. It will be used by the kids for video games and we will watch some movies but that is about it.

Do you get Consumer Reports? They are good for a reference point. I dont use them as gospel but its a good point to start. And cnet has good reviews too.

Do you get Consumer Reports? They are good for a reference point. I dont use them as gospel but its a good point to start. And cnet has good reviews too.

I don't get consumer reports but have been checking out cnet. I like that they have pricing on their from all the major online retailers.

CNet is amazing.

Cnet has a pretty good review section and some really good info too. You can also check out the avs forums but good luck. That place is serious. Id find a tv and THEN go to the avs forums to read up on it otherwise you might get lost on that site.

AVS scares the hell out of me, lol. Them guys are IN to it. THe place reeks of Pear A/V cables.

LOL yeah AVS is a scary place. I ONLY go there when I want to read up on something specific and then I get out quick.

Aye, I use them like I use GWRX: Ultra specific research.

I want an OLED display.
LOL yeah AVS is a scary place. I ONLY go there when I want to read up on something specific and then I get out quick.

OLED??

Super high contrast, super thin, super expensive.

I have tried AVS before. My nerdness pales in comparison to the stuff that goes on there.

Organic LED I think. Super expensive and the next thing in TV's. They are something like $20K right now lol

This ASUS is amazing. The palm rest stays cool, it has a very intuitive multi touch track pad, wonderful screen, great battery life, built like a tank, great speed.

Yup. Samsung uses a derivitive in their phone screens. Gorgeous.
Organic LED I think. Super expensive and the next thing in TV's. They are something like $20K right now lol

I love AVS...I love nerdin it out

I have tried AVS before. My nerdness pales in comparison to the stuff that goes on there.

Ive found two things from reading over there. My sub for the entertainment system where the big TV is and the front floor speakers. Id never even heard of the sub before but it shakes the whole damn house and rumbles the best Ive ever heard. The speakers are ok, nothing special but good for the price I found.

I think I am going to stick to an edge lit LED thank you very much.

I think I am going to stick to an edge lit LED thank you very much.

haha. I have a Samsung 32" edge lit LED upstairs and its a very nice TV for the general TV watching we do on it.

ANybody used the Macs with the new Retina display? How does it look?

ANybody used the Macs with the new Retina display? How does it look?

It looks really good, not good enough for me to upgrade my current MacBook though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back