Mizuno MX-200 Irons Photos

i have. ive also hit them

You lucky duck.

As much as I like my irons, I'd love to have something else. Iron sets are just too damn expensive though. :(

You lucky duck.

As much as I like my irons, I'd love to have something else. Iron sets are just too damn expensive though. :(

I played my old Hogans for 10 years. I figured was due. And I wanted something I could legitimately play another 10. Frankly, I'm surprised how quickly I've moved on.

I checked out these irons today at Golf Galaxy, didn't hit any balls just held them. To me they are ok looking but nothing I would spend my money on. A few of the other Mizzys are downright sexy looking & it's all about looking good out on the course right?:D

You got that right Dyna. Hence our golf attire...hehe. I really like the looks of them, however obvisly that is subjective. The funny part is, I have never really been a fan of Mizuno irons until these.

i think these irons look great. to be honest, thats how i usually pick an iron set: first by looks, then from the ones i like the looks of, ill pick the ones i think feel the best. i would have no problem playing these irons. i think they are gorgeous

I checked out these irons today at Golf Galaxy, didn't hit any balls just held them. To me they are ok looking but nothing I would spend my money on. A few of the other Mizzys are downright sexy looking & it's all about looking good out on the course right?:D
Most GI irons arent all that sexy looking. In terms of feel you cant beat Mizuno irons though.
Like I said, my next set of irons will most likely be Pings (G10s, most likely), but Mizuno makes some of the finest irons on the market.
I used to play a set of Titleist DCI 981 irons (which many people consider to be great irons, although a little dated) and even my MX-15s (which are cast GI irons) are far better than those Titleists were. Honestly, for me to switch back to Titleists now would be a step down, IMHO.

When it comes to feel, I do love the Mizunos, but the Nickent 4DX actually are softer to me and feel better than just about any Mizunos I have ever tried. Our teaching pro Andy said the same thing and he was a Mizuno staffer for quite a few years.

When it comes to feel, I do love the Mizunos, but the Nickent 4DX actually are softer to me and feel better than just about any Mizunos I have ever tried. Our teaching pro Andy said the same thing and he was a Mizuno staffer for quite a few years.
Honestly, it seems like a lot of the other companies are catching up in terms of feel in irons.
I think Mizuno irons will always have a certain mystique about them, but theres lots of great irons on the market nowdays.
Ive gotten the chance to try out Callaway X-22s and Ping G10s and both of those were very, very nice irons as well.

That is my exact thoughts on Titleist golf balls. Always played them and always liked them. However I think that the other brands have caught up and even surpassed them in some cases.

That is my exact thoughts on Titleist golf balls. Always played them and always liked them. However I think that the other brands have caught up and even surpassed them in some cases.
You know how I feel about Acushnet in general: they are all marketing hype. Now that they shut down their American shoe plant and have plans to start making golfballs in Asia, Im done with them.

my next set of irons will definitely be mizunos...

Got to play one more round with these this morning before they go back tomorrow. Very solid irons.

played with the 200's today and really, really liked them. next time Im going to try the 100's

played with the 200's today and really, really liked them. next time Im going to try the 100's
100s are a lot different than the 200s. MX-100s are a hybrid iron set (the 4 and 5 are hybrids), whereas the 200s are a traditional iron set.
Im most likely going to buy a set of MX-100s next year. I struggle with my long irons but hit my hybrid really well, so Im thinking MX-100s would be right up my alley and Im not convinced that its worth spending the extra money for the forged MX-200s or MX-950s.

100s are a lot different than the 200s. MX-100s are a hybrid iron set (the 4 and 5 are hybrids), whereas the 200s are a traditional iron set.
Im most likely going to buy a set of MX-100s next year. I struggle with my long irons but hit my hybrid really well, so Im thinking MX-100s would be right up my alley and Im not convinced that its worth spending the extra money for the forged MX-200s or MX-950s.

oh my bad...(not enough sleep)...I got that backwards. I actually played the 100's today. had the 4 & 5 hybrid. the hybrids are SWEET. I know my game isn't anywhere even close to benefiting from forged so the 100's would also probably be perfect for me. but I still want to hack around with the 200's for a round.

You might want to consider the MX-950s though. They are a lot like the MX-100s, but they are forged instead of cast. The 950s are a hybrid iron set though, so for you that might be the best of both worlds: easy to hit hybrids and the soft feel of forgings.

We have an article coming up about the difference between cast and forged. You guys might want to read it. It PROVES that forging does not make softer irons and in fact has nothing to do with it. Just the metals involved. Many will dispute it, however we have spoken to both golf people and professors about it and you will see what we mean in the article.

We have an article coming up about the difference between cast and forged. You guys might want to read it. It PROVES that forging does not make softer irons and in fact has nothing to do with it. Just the metals involved. Many will dispute it, however we have spoken to both golf people and professors about it and you will see what we mean in the article.
True, it has more to do with how soft the metal itself is than with what process was made to make the clubhead.
Even still, my Mizuno wedges are forged and they have a very different feel than some cast wedges I have tried. For one, they are heavier and the feel is just different. Who knows though, it could all just be in my head... :confused2:
Thats kind of why Im not too sure that its worth spending more money for MX-950s over MX-100s. As you have said, most tour pros cant tell the difference in feel from cast to forged.

It could also be that they are made with better metal Bake.

hmmm...interesting. I have never hit a forged iron so I dont know of the "feel" but I am very much looking forward to what the "experts" have to say...

It could also be that they are made with better metal Bake.
Could be, I dunno. Lately Ive been experimenting with Ping wedges and its weird, but the Pings feel a lot lighter than my Mizunos.
I used to play all Vokeys and even those had a much different feel than do my Mizzies.
With my Mizzies, it feels much different when I mishit the ball but with other wedges, the shot feels the same even when I dont hit the ball solid.
I dunno, its kinda hard to explain, I guess. All I know is that I love my Mizzies and they work well for me. Maybe its all in my head, but they work for me and thats all the reason I need to keep them in the bag. :confused2:
I will be intersted to read that article though. I used to be a welder, so Ive studied a fair amount of metalurgy and I always found that stuff interesting.

...but the Pings feel a lot lighter than my Mizunos.

I haven't hit Pings in ages, but that was always one of their claims to fame. That most people play with clubs that are too heavy. Don't know if that's still the case.

I think that misconception goes back to the first cast clubs that were made 30 years ago. I love the feel of forged clubs, but I hit plenty of cast clubs before settling on my new Mizunos. If you're buying good equipment, it's going to feel good. I really liked the feel of some of the new cast clubs. Some of the stuff they're doing with vibration dampening and other things really make cast clubs feel great.

I haven't hit Pings in ages, but that was always one of their claims to fame. That most people play with clubs that are too heavy. Don't know if that's still the case.
Yeah, it was kinda weird.

I think that misconception goes back to the first cast clubs that were made 30 years ago. I love the feel of forged clubs, but I hit plenty of cast clubs before settling on my new Mizunos. If you're buying good equipment, it's going to feel good. I really liked the feel of some of the new cast clubs. Some of the stuff they're doing with vibration dampening and other things really make cast clubs feel great.
Im not so sure anymore how important having forged irons is. Even with my cast MX-15s I can tell a difference in feel from a solid hit to one that is struck off-center.
If the pros cant tell a difference from cast to forged, I doubt the average hack can.

Back