Pre shot routine and tempo

I don't make very many practice swings, maybe two or three a round and only if I have to wait a long time and feel I am getting a little stiff waiting. I do try to take a second and think about the shot I want to hit and then most of what I would call a pre-shot is just lining it up, stepping into the ball and getting comfortable, once my setup is right I can hit the shot. I can hit about 5 shots in the time it takes some guys to line up one. Drives me crazy. Since for a lot of guys I see play a practice swing is often their best swing just get in there and put that practice swing on the ball, why waste it?

a routine is very important. Regardless of what it is it shouldnt take too long and you should practice with the routine at times as well.

The only place I have a consistent routine is on the tee box with driver. I stand behind the ball and pick my target, then take one or two practice swings until I'm comfortable that my swing is on the right path.

On any other shot I may take one practice swing or a couple. I've been thinking about trying to establish a routine, but haven't done so yet. I may even try the aim, visualize, swing away without any practice method as mentioned above. Sometimes I'm that guy, I'll have a perfect practice swing, then step up to the ball and chunk it. I'm sure that's more mental than anything though...

Putting is another issue. I have a couple of routines I alternate between there depending on how I'm feeling that day. Need to just pick one and go with it.

This is something I need to work on. I am often guilty of walking up and hitting with no routine. Although the result is fine something to add consistency in the shot would be good.

My last two times out I really made sure I paid attention to both my pre-shot routine and tempo as I played. Tempo is key for me to keep my swing where it needs to be and if I dont watch my set up routine I'll start hitting wild shots all over the place. During my lessons the pro told me I definitely right eye dominant by how far back I line up the ball in my stance, thinking its in the middle.

I definitely have the same routine every time.

With the driver, I stand behind the ball and pick my spot. I never take a practice swing with the big stick.

With irons, I'll do the same thing - I stand behind the ball and ponder my shot. I do, however, always take one practice swing with irons and woods before hitting.

Steel Tappin'

All weekday round at my home course I carry a six sided die with me and roll it every par 4 or 5 tee box. I assign a number to a club and tee off with that club so I get to use more clubs then just the driver during my "practice" rounds. 1 -driver 2- 3wd 3- 5wd 4-3hy 5- 4i 6-5i. Once I started doing that my scores on "real" rounds improved a few strokes easily because I learned how to use more than just the driver off the tee.

i have no routine or tempo. i need to work on this as far as preshot routine for sure. my focus wanders sometimes and it costs me on the course.

Just finished reading "Zen Golf" by Dr. Joseph Parent. Highly recommend it. He describes the "Swing Routine" as one of the keys to playing your best golf. A few of his pearls of widom are: The swing doesn't start at the takeaway, it begins when you approach the ball. Your tempo at the start of your approach sets the tempo for the swing. Although each "Swing Routine" might differ, he recommends something along these lines (from memory). Stand behind the ball take a "rehearsal" swing, or two if your not comfortable. Visualize the actual ball flight and where you want the ball to land. Take a deep "settling breath" and approach the ball slowly. Take your set-up, align to your visualized target (or spot) and trust your swing. I've been trying this the last few rounds and it works for me. I find I don't focus as much on "noise" during the swing, like s**t there's water down the left side of this fairway, and the like.

My routine before shots is 3 practice swings everytime next to the ball to get my feel. Then I step behind the ball pick my intermediate target setup and bam! My tempo is something I definitely could use some work on as I think I get to quick. When I really focus on slowing it down I tend to hit the ball a lot better.

My routine is starting behind the ball, pick my target and intermediate (couple ft. in front of ball), slight address, 2 practice swings, full address, glance to target down the fairway/green, to intermediate target, waggle, then giver with smooth tempo. L8R

my pre shot routine is always the same. I stand a few paces behind the ball look at where i want to go twirl the club in my left hand as i approch the ball from the side while looking at my target waggle a bit trying to get the feel for what i want to accomplish still eyeing down the taget head down and pull the trigger no practice shots.

I have never really had a set in stone routine but a basic one. After my lesson yesterday I now have my routine. Pick my area I want to hit to and find a spot about 2 feet in front of the ball thats in line with the area I want to hit. Take a half swing back than a full practice swing. Set the face to the spot in front of me, Fire away.

Pre-shot routine and tempo are really two totally unrelated things however. The best way to practice for tempo is to swing a few times and make contact but swing as slowly as you possibly can and still make a full turn, a full motion, don't try to stop the club from speeding up due to gravity taking over on the downswing just stay with it as smoothly as possible. Then swing a few times adding a slightly faster turn and move, very slight, then speed up again, and again, then at the point at which you can no longer maintain control of the club with good balance throughout the swing and on the follow through stop and drop the speed back a notch to where you are in control again. Anyone should be able to swing under control and with good form at less than what seems like full speed, if you go past that controllable speed to where you go out of control even slightly through the ball you have to expect some reduction in the quality of contact, direction and trajectory. If you can play a round at less than what feels like full swing speed you will be surprised how hard you can still hit the ball because you are hitting it more solidly and you have the added benefit of not having to add penalty strokes or losing stroke and distance for hazard shots, OBs or lost balls during your round.

I just look at the target, setup to the ball in the right position, waggle a few times, adjust if needed/uncomfortable, and pull the trigger.

I pick a target from behind the ball. One Slow practice swing and then go for it. It isn't a set routine, it just seems to be what I do. For tighter shots I will sometimes take a couple of practice swings, especially when under a tree or branches nearby to make sure I'm not going to hit them.

From the tee on a par 4, just try to clear my mind, aim for the 150 yard stake. Some times a few practice swings. Tempo very important. No deceleration!! Par three's middle of green.

I've only been golfing for about 5 years and I never had a routine or tempo. Playing baseball all my life there really wasn't time for a routine, just get in the box and get ready. However, over the past few months I started doing some research on tempo and routine and found that they are very important parts in a golf swing. I've really been trying hard to have a good repeatable tempo. I'm good friends with a guy who owns a golf shop and he has the Mizuno shaft optimizer so he let me play around with it one day. I was consistently a 5 tempo. So, I'm still working on it, but can definitely tell the difference in my consistency when on the course.

Pre Shot Routine & Focus

Pre Shot Routine & Focus

I have been struggling staying focused during rounds. I get distracted too easilly. I hit a bad shot or one slightly off target and i know straight away why it happened and if I had just concentrated i know I could hvae avoided this.

I have no pre-shot routine and am wondering should I have one? Does it help keep you focused?

Below I have developed a pre-shot routine that I think might suit my game and I am looking for feedback and general tips on if I should even bother with a pre-shot routine.

Long Game

1. Stand behind ball and look at target.
  2. Visualise the shot about to be played.
  3. Take two deep breaths.
  4. Select the club you are going to execute this with.
  5. Pick the designated target you are going to aim at.
  6. Pick a mark 6-12 inches ahead of the ball on this line.
  7. Take 2-3 practice swings.
  8. Take 1 deep breath.
  9. Tap club twice of target mark 6-12 inches ahead of the ball.
  10. Address ball.
  11. Take 1-2 final looks at distant target and swing.
Short game/Putts
  1. Look at grass ball is going over (“read the green”)
  2. Establish line that is wanted.
  3. For Putts: Visualise hole where you feel if the ball is hit dead weight to here the land will take it to the hole.
  4. For Chips: Visualise small ring where you want the first bounce of your ball to be.
  5. Pick mark 2-6 inches in front of ball on target line.
  6. If on green line up logo on ball with this line.
  7. Address ball step back and take two practice strokes.
  8. Re-address ball, look two times at your distant ring or target.
  9. Look once at your near mark making sure you are on line and then hit.

Pre-shot routines are good to have as they get you in the "moment". Just make sure they don't hinder pace of play or you will be executing it by yourself!

I am more of a minimal type person myself and play best when I take one look, setup and go. I do take more time on the greens but not much. Find the line, take on practice swing and go. No swing thoughts for me! I take care of that on the range...... I am a big believer that the brain will do what it needs to do IF you stay out of the way.

I don't do this to make sure I play rounds in a certain amount of time. I do this because it works best for me. Find what works best for you and stick to it!

hackin

Pre-shot routines are good to have as they get you in the "moment". Just make sure they don't hinder pace of play or you will be executing it by yourself!

I am more of a minimal type person myself and play best when I take one look, setup and go. I do take more time on the greens but not much. Find the line, take on practice swing and go. No swing thoughts for me! I take care of that on the range...... I am a big believer that the brain will do what it needs to do IF you stay out of the way.

I don't do this to make sure I play rounds in a certain amount of time. I do this because it works best for me. Find what works best for you and stick to it!

hackin

I too would consider myself to be like this in the fact that I would have no swing thoughts and just stand up and swing, but I feel this is starting to be of a hindrence as I am making stupid mistakes that I know with a bit of care I wouldn't make.

What I mean is for example with a lob wedge from about 85-100 yards which i should be getting certainly within 20 feet i hit to the greenside bunker or something with a perfect contact just because I didnt line myself up properly.

I feel if I do slow down that I'm taking ages and slowing everyone down though (even though I'm ususally not).

So what I'm wondering is the pre shot routine I've listed a bit excessive and should I go for a more simple one??

Thanks, Shane

I think pre-shot routines are extremely important.

I stand behind the ball and take a slow practice swing to physically feel a couple of positions that are important to me. Then one more practice swing to relax and be athletic (i.e., not be mechanical about those physical positions). Then I approach the ball - square the club face to an intermediate target, square my body to the club - and swing.

Find what works for you - slight caution not to give your brain too much to think about - and remember pace of play.

Yeah I think I will give this a try over the next couple of rounds, I am very quick inbbetween shots so time shouldnt be a real issue

I hope this works because i could easilly lose 7-8 shots a round if it did..

Thanks, Shane

I think a bit of routine is important, but for some people it can get a bit overboard.

Myself, I get to the ball, shoot the distance with my rangefinder, select the club, and then get behind the ball. I line up where I want to shoot to, get into my stance, and swing away.

No practice swing for me, unless it is something other than a regular swing. I find full practice swings throw me off for some reason.

I don't mind people that have a fuller/longer routine. What I do mind is when it is such a routine that it takes 5 times longer than the other people in the group for you to get ready with your longer routine.

I think a bit of routine is important, but for some people it can get a bit overboard.

Myself, I get to the ball, shoot the distance with my rangefinder, select the club, and then get behind the ball. I line up where I want to shoot to, get into my stance, and swing away.

No practice swing for me, unless it is something other than a regular swing. I find full practice swings throw me off for some reason.

I don't mind people that have a fuller/longer routine. What I do mind is when it is such a routine that it takes 5 times longer than the other people in the group for you to get ready with your longer routine.

I think that I might need a long routine though, not crazy but I think it could last from getting club to hitting maybe 35 seconds?

I hate slow players too although in my experience the bulk of slow play is caused by being very slow walking between shots or taking rediculous amounts of time around greens..

I think it has been answered though that a consistent pattern before a shot helps focus you so I think I will try and report back how it goes :)

Thanks, Shane

Back