Etiquette question

Castpro

Reaction score
Handicap
Pretty sure this has been covered so forgive a newbie etiquette question.

I've played 8 rounds of golf so far since picking the sticks up again. On two occasions during these rounds I have experienced being "hit into". The first time was on a resort type course near Myrtle Beach SC and the second on a much slower paced course near Clinton NC.

The first incident left me a little peaved. We were playing (4 some) on a full course with a 4 some in front of us. The pace was not fast but we were having a good time. Some where on the back nine (15-16) I was hitting my second shot from the fairway when I heard a thud and saw a ball rolling past me, maybe 30 feet away. I turned back to the Tee Box and a guy was standing there, leaning on his driver looking at me. He didn't wave, just stood there. I looked back for a moment, then moved on to my ball. It felt to me like a "you need to move on" warning shot, but we were stuck behnd the group ahead.

The second incident was (I believe) an honest mistake. My cousin and I were on the right side of the fairway in a large waste bunker where I was playing my second shot. In front of us was a fairway bunker. We heard the thump of a ball landing in the bunker but did not see anyone at first. A few seconds later a guy playing alone comes along up the fairway. He sees us and apologizes, over and over. He just did not see us. This one did not bother me (other than the danger) as he seemed genuine. We let him play through.

How do you best deal with being hit into??

Tommy

The best way is to kindly inform them that you have a group ahead of you and that you don't appreciate getting hit into.

In my experience that usually solves it, no reason to throw the ball into the woods or get violent, only bad things can happen from there

The second time I'm hit into from the same foursome...the ball is going back with a 4 iron...

This thread could get interesting now..

I typically don't get too worked up if it happens once. It can be a mistake, even when it seems silly. I hit into a group the other day I thought had moved on, only to see them reappear in my landing area after I had hit.

If it happens again - or if it's certain that it was on purpose - then I'd tell a marshall, or calmly explain to the group behind if they catch you where you can talk to them that you didn't appreciate them hitting into you as you are stuck waiting on the group in front of you.

Skipped off the pond using Tapatalk

I agree, but don't see the need to hit back into them when a simple reminder could help, I am not a pacifist by any stretch of the imagination but violence has no place on a golf course IMHO, if they want to hit into you deal with it in a classy way, it is a gentleman's game isn't it?

The best way is to kindly inform them that you have a group ahead of you and that you don't appreciate getting hit into.

In my experience that usually solves it, no reason to throw the ball into the woods or get violent, only bad things can happen from there
That's probably the best way.

But try that when you have just left a par three, saw the people on the tee box, you get into your carts (which are on the tee box side of the green) and before you have a chance to hit the gas, a ball comes flying by you.

I didn't take your previous advice. (It happened on hole #8 at Painted). And yes, I wait until the next tee box to write down scores!

I didn't throw their ball or anything like that, but I wasn't too kind when I asked him if he had his head up his butt for hitting before we drove away!

But try that when you have just left a par three, saw the people on the tee box, you get into your carts (which are on the tee box side of the green) and before you have a chance to hit the gas, a ball comes flying by you.

I didn't take your previous advice. (It happened on hole #8 at Painted). And yes, I wait until the next tee box to write down scores!

I didn't throw their ball or anything like that, but I wasn't too kind when I asked him if he had his head up his butt for hitting before we drove away!

Haha coming from you that surprises the heck out of me

Haha coming from you that surprises the heck out of me

I probably would have and should have let it go, or at least been nicer, but he almost hit my wife!

One-two piece.

Depends on what kind of reaction or retaliation you want from the person that hit into you.

Personally, I'd take the less confrontational route the first time but if it happened again I would say something or just pick up the ball and take it with me and if they approach you and ask why you took their ball just respond with,,,Well I thought since you hit into me you wanted me to have your ball.

Really, the best route would to contact a marshall if there is one or just call the clubhouse to report them.

Had this happen on a couple of occasion on different courses, once is forgivable from my point of view....more than that the ball goes in my pocket and I play on. Nobody has ever came up and asked for the ball back. I recently hit into a foursome on the second to last hole and I REALLY hate doing that it just throws my game into the waste bunkers, I feel like crap when I hit that shot and see them coming out of a hidden area just for them look back at me...so I've been on both sides of this and trust me usually the first one is an honest mistake...but usually there is a wave of the hand not just standing there leaning against his/her club that to me would seem intentional.

I actually forgot what happened to me last weekend...

On the 2nd hole I bombed my drive which should have been in the fairway. Bushes in a hazard block from seeing the landing area(it's a slight dog leg left) and so both me and my pops agreed saying it's further down and should be a great drive. Well we drive down and sure enough. No ball can be found in the fairway(where it really should have been) so both me and him assumed the group ahead of us(who were gone and then reappeared after I hit) should have been gone.

Pissed me off cause it was a brand new ball but I just dropped one and continued play. Ended up birding the hole

Birdie...even after a penalty stroke....nice....

I had something like this happen when I was playing with my nieces who are both under 10 years old. We just got into our cart to go to the next hole and hear them yelling FORE from about 150 yards out, so I tried to get my nieces covered up. Ball actually bounced off the top of our cart.

I didn't start a fight, but I let them know on the tee box on the next hole that it is not acceptable to be hitting to greens when there are little kids around, especially if we were still relatively close to the green. If they had waited not even 10 seconds, we wouldn't have been anywhere near the green. If a ball like that were to hit one of my nieces in the head, it could seriously injure them. There is absolutely nothing I can do to speed up the group in front of me, I don't need them trying to speed me up. Luckily they were apologetic about it, and they didn't even come close to hitting into us for the last 3 holes.

And I knew my comment would get a lot of negative reaction. I've never hit one back yet...but I have also never been hit into more than once. If I get hit into I'll talk to the group behind me...about it immediately. So, there should be no second time.

Sometimes it can happen, I understand that, but after the first time...and the group behind was made aware that they had hit into you...it shouldn't happen again...at all. At that point on...that group should be very cautious and overly conservative in their play...

My usual playing partner went over and stomped their ball into the fairway... I was appalled.

And I knew my comment would get a lot of negative reaction. I've never hit one back yet...but I have also never been hit into more than once. If I get hit into I'll talk to the group behind me...about it immediately. So, there should be no second time.

Sometimes it can happen, I understand that, but after the first time...and the group behind was made aware that they had hit into you...it shouldn't happen again...at all. At that point on...that group should be very cautious and overly conservative in their play...

I meant nothing towards you at all. I just know in my experience on being here(THP) it is just heavily frowned upon. The worst is when the group hits into you twice on consecutive holes; and there's a group ahead of you.

I had something like this happen when I was playing with my nieces who are both under 10 years old. We just got into our cart to go to the next hole and hear them yelling FORE from about 150 yards out, so I tried to get my nieces covered up. Ball actually bounced off the top of our cart.

I didn't start a fight, but I let them know on the tee box on the next hole that it is not acceptable to be hitting to greens when there are little kids around, especially if we were still relatively close to the green. If they had waited not even 10 seconds, we wouldn't have been anywhere near the green. If a ball like that were to hit one of my nieces in the head, it could seriously injure them. There is absolutely nothing I can do to speed up the group in front of me, I don't need them trying to speed me up. Luckily they were apologetic about it, and they didn't even come close to hitting into us for the last 3 holes.

Not acceptable to be hitting to greens where there is ANYONE around. If a ball hit someone in the head...Anyone...there's a good chance that person might not be the same again. A golf ball impacts with a lot of force when it hits a human body.

Edit...

I meant nothing towards you at all. I just know in my experience on being here(THP) it is just heavily frowned upon. The worst is when the group hits into you twice on consecutive holes; and there's a group ahead of you.

I understand what you were saying....not a problem. Consecutive holes? Maybe the 2 iron then!

:beauty:

I accidentally hit into someone a few weeks ago. They took my ball. I was not happy. I'd rather they just told me I'd hit into them and I would've apologized.

One time, I will take it as an accident. Second time, I will mention that we are waiting on the group in front of us, so don't get in such a big hurry. There will be no third time....

Back