How does one leave themselves a 75 yard shot? Either way, I'm a big fan or becoming well-versed in fewer clubs. With that being said I use a 52* for 100 and in, opening the face and stance to control distance. I really only use a LW for short chips or steep bunkers and a SW is for longer bunker shots.

**I played my first 2 years of golf with a PW as the highest lofted club in the bag so I became good at using it for all types of shots**

How??? I didn't get it to the green. I am learning what clubs to hit and when and how far I can hit them. From 75 to 100 or so I usually hit an AW but the closer I get is where I have trouble. I will be looking at a new 52 wedge soon and trying some of the great advice tha the others have provided.

I usually take and put the ball in the back of the stance, choke down halfway on the grip and to help make the ball stay low I follow thru making sure the head of the club does not go to far beyond waist height. This usually ends up being a low trajectory with a few skips and hops then a stop. Hopefully around the hole somewhere. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, 56* club for this.

I was thinking the same thing as Marc. I would but the ball a bit back in your stance and try and concentrate on hitting the ball first. I would probably use my gap wedge (49) with a soft 3/4 swing.

how much bounce do you have on your 60?

personally i'd play a little more than 1/2 swing with my 52... i only swing my 60 flopped open because the lack of bounce would have me chucking everything.

I think after all the suggestions and great advice, I may need to put the 60 away for a while until I get comfortable with something else. I will also be looking around for a new 52.!!

The thing I find about a 60* is that the lie has a whole lot to say about how the ball will fly. A tight lie might give you consistent results, but with varying degrees of fluffiness in the lie the distance is affected dramatically (for me, at least). Just a bit of grass under the ball and you need to catch it just right or you hit a sky-ball high on the clubface and it goes short. That inconsistency is what turned me away from full shots with very lofted clubs. I don't carry a 60* anymore.

How does one leave themselves a 75 yard shot?

As a high handicapper without the greatest distance (pretty much what the old PGA guides say), I see a lot of 75 yard shots. They result from:
1) Par 5s that I can't make in two.
2) Occasionally a long par 4 if I'm a little short with one of the two shots.
3) Scrambling somewhere earlier in the hole on a par 4 which leaves me with a 75 yarder come in.
4) Intentionally laying up on a par 4 if I know I don't have the distance to fly it in and the green is guarded. I'd rather be 75-50 yards out than in some nasty bunker near the green.

It was really windy yesterday and I got this yardage into greens 3 times yesterday. Twice on par 5's and once on a par 4. I hit the green every time, but only one was within 10 feet which is where I feel you should be from that yardage.

I still feel that pitching is the hardest part of golf for me, so I wouldn't feel too bad about not being good from this yardage.

I always found my self around the 75 yard marker and played brutal from that distance for me I found a wedge that I could hit that distance without having to take much off or ever having to juice one that gets me into trouble. Also I started to use my head more and play to a number that I'm confident in rather than hit a great ball and end up with bogey or worse

It was really windy yesterday and I got this yardage into greens 3 times yesterday. Twice on par 5's and once on a par 4. I hit the green every time, but only one was within 10 feet which is where I feel you should be from that yardage.

I still feel that pitching is the hardest part of golf for me, so I wouldn't feel too bad about not being good from this yardage.

Thanks CB.....I am really working on it

As a high handicapper without the greatest distance (pretty much what the old PGA guides say), I see a lot of 75 yard shots. They result from:
1) Par 5s that I can't make in two.
2) Occasionally a long par 4 if I'm a little short with one of the two shots.
3) Scrambling somewhere earlier in the hole on a par 4 which leaves me with a 75 yarder come in.
4) Intentionally laying up on a par 4 if I know I don't have the distance to fly it in and the green is guarded. I'd rather be 75-50 yards out than in some nasty bunker near the green.

Sounds like me partner.....We will keep working on it

The thing that's helping me at that range ( <= 100yds) is practice. I chip and pitch a hundred balls or so a day in my yard and maybe 50 to a flag I have in the field at about 75, 80 yards. Accuracy is really showing improvement and I've gained at least a club in distance by swinging easier but contacting the ball better.

I invented a game (at least I think I invented it ;) ) that I call "gocce". It's just like bocce but with golf balls/clubs. I toss a tennis ball to various distances away and then chip/pitch golf balls at it. It's really rewarding when your golf ball rolls up and hits the tennis ball - that's one that was In The Hole.

ryebread, I would imagine that with your 49* niblick this is not a problem distance for you. I think it is for the person who started this thread.

PGA guides? What are you talking about?

majBC: You are right. I've gotten worlds better from 30-75 yards due to the 49. I'd much rather be 40-75 yards away with the 49 than sitting in some weird lie or on the side of a hill around a bunker. I think a Niblick 49 could possibly really help rghilljr.

For the distance, I actually have an old PGA rule book from about the 1980s (but it could be the 1970s). It included all the rules and in the back it had a table of lofts, lies and expected distances. Yes, clubs have gotten stronger in loft, longer with shaft and better in shaft, but I find that I hit about what was in that PGA tour book. Average 5 iron = 150 (and work up and down from there). I swing very easy. :angel:

One thought that has really helped my inside 100 game is to keep the grip pointed at the ball. On the down swing feel the end of the grip pointing down at the ball. I go to the local course that has a 75 yard pin and take all different clubs from 60-PW and hit shots it has really dialed me in on those distances.

Read the ATV testing thread. The thing is so darn easy to hit it's amazing. Works great out of the sand too...

50-75 yds used to be my specialty. Getting inconsistent though.

majBC: You are right. I've gotten worlds better from 30-75 yards due to the 49. I'd much rather be 40-75 yards away with the 49 than sitting in some weird lie or on the side of a hill around a bunker. I think a Niblick 49 could possibly really help rghilljr.

For the distance, I actually have an old PGA rule book from about the 1980s (but it could be the 1970s). It included all the rules and in the back it had a table of lofts, lies and expected distances. Yes, clubs have gotten stronger in loft, longer with shaft and better in shaft, but I find that I hit about what was in that PGA tour book. Average 5 iron = 150 (and work up and down from there). I swing very easy. :angel:

I am gonna need to get one of those and see how it helps!!! Thanks ryebread!

Back