heading to my 1st lesson tomorrow

I've recently started taking lessons myself and they are quite addictive. The man I use is an excellent teacher and I see an improvement every time I go. We haven't even bothered touching a driver yet, he concentrates on Irons and approach shots right now, has me leave the driver at home when I play and just use my 3w and wow is it easier playing out of the fairway than the woods.

Good luck on your game, I've got another lesson Friday and I can't wait to see what comes of it.

I've recently started taking lessons myself and they are quite addictive. The man I use is an excellent teacher and I see an improvement every time I go. We haven't even bothered touching a driver yet, he concentrates on Irons and approach shots right now, has me leave the driver at home when I play and just use my 3w and wow is it easier playing out of the fairway than the woods.

Good luck on your game, I've got another lesson Friday and I can't wait to see what comes of it.

I tee up the 3 wood a lot, I enjoy hitting that club & can hit it pretty well. I knew when I pulled te head cover that I shouldn't hit but I did so I played it.

My suggestion is don't get upset or disappointed right away. I have always struggled for a couple of days after my lessons trying to adopt the new things I have been taught. I have talked to some people who struggle the first few days and then say why should I pay this guy when I was hitting the ball better before the lesson.

Make sure you practice and give it time.

A lot of truth to this sighman. My first range session after a lesson is rather comical till about the tenth ball out of the basket.
I always kid with my instructor about having to believe and drink the Kool Aid.hehe

I love the lesson updates. I'm going to continue with my lessons after the AC Van Event in Sept. I'm looking forward to those lessons.

Hi all,
I've just began taking lessons myself about a month ago and thought I'd post how they have gone as well. I purchased a 4 lesson package with the option to upgrade to an 8 pack. I just completed my 3rd lesson yesterday. Anyway, I'll post about my first lesson today and share my other lessons in the near future. I knew going in that I wanted to improve my back swing because I've developed really bad habits in the last four years. (I've been playing for 5 now). My instructor did a swing analysis with me and we concentrated on a pre shot routine, grip, and finishing high. Believe it or not, the biggest lesson learned that day was the fact that I'd been lining my shot up right of the target for several years! As a result, I adjusted my swing over the years to make the ball get to the target which ended up making an incorrect swing even worse. That was it for the first day. I went out and bought a couple of alignment sticks from the hardware store and practiced my pre shot routine, my grip, and finishing high with my swing. I must admit it was discouraging for the rest of the week. When I went to the range and the golf course, everything was going left on me. But my instructor told me not to worry and to stick with it. He guaranteed that I'd be on target by the end if the 2nd lesson.
So, in short, first lesson...
1. Stand behind the ball and line it up to the target
2. Set the club face up to the ball and line it up to the target. Get your grip right and then set your stance. See the the target.
3. Finish high with your swing.

I was really hoping he was right because it got worse before it got better. That's it for now. If I'm thread jacking, let me know. My only intention is to hopefully help someone improve their game. More to come.

I've been considering lessons too but haven't pulled the trigger on them because I'm afraid that I will have my entire swing revamped. Do they usually just tweak things or is an entire overhaul usually the case?

I've been considering lessons too but haven't pulled the trigger on them because I'm afraid that I will have my entire swing revamped. Do they usually just tweak things or is an entire overhaul usually the case?

I think that question could bring several different answers. As someone posted earlier in the thread, good communication with your instructor is key when considering lessons. My instructor likes to take what the students attributes are and lower their score from there teaching basic fundamentals of the game. But he is wide open to going where I want to go. My swing is being totally revamped at my request. And he told me that it would be a challenge in the beginning. He's right....It's killing my already feeble game....(ie...90's golfer) but I'm already beginning to see the benefits. I'm not consistent with the new swing yet, but man... When I get it right.... You know the feeling I'm talking about as soon as the ball comes off the club folks. That's what makes me stick with it. For me, I only see myself getting better from instruction. I think you have to look at your strengths and weaknesses and go from there. Talk to several instructors and let them know what your goals are. Im certain that you will feel more confident about instruction after talking to a few pros.

I had no swing to start with so this has been from the ground up but I would say depending on what you want out of the game & what problems/habits you have either could be the way to go. I'm thoroughly enjoying the experience & getting better.

Back