iron question for beginner

cfugate

Golf God...........I wish
Reaction score
Handicap
Around 20
I am new to golf, having only started this year, and have played about 6 rounds and my best score has been 102. I have been using a buddies old irons, but would like to buy my own. I have narrowed my choices to 3 and would like input from people with more experience. My choices are callaway x-22, callaway ft-ibrid, and mizuno mx-950. Thanks in advance for the replies.

welcome! go and hit as many types of irons as you can and try to get a professional fitting. I'm hitting X-18's after playing with some older irons for a few years and the transition was made easier by a fitting. that and the newer technology sure helped!

welcome! go and hit as many types of irons as you can and try to get a professional fitting.

Best advice right there!! Everyone can recomend what they would get but you need to find what works best for you.

Stop by the Check In Desk and introduce yourself!!!

if you're just looking for which of the 3 each of us prefer, my vote would go like this:
1. X-22's
2. MX-950's
3. ft-ibrid's.
sounds like you have the ones you like narrowed down. now its up to you to decide which one you hit the best. good luck!
btw, i personally cant stand the looks of the ft-ibrids... just sayin

First I would say get what you can afford. Their are a lot of brands out there, that are less expensive, that play just as well and have as good of quality as the big named OEMs. Golf is an expensive investment. Save money where you can.

Try to get clubs that are fitted to your current swing specs. A best score of 102 after 6 rounds is a decent score for a beginning golfer. Fitted clubs should have you playing in the low 90s, high 80s in a shorter period of time.

Next would be to look at at brand of clubs that can be adjusted by your local pro shop later on should your swing change. Your swing will most likely change as your golf swing muscles become stronger. A lot of local pro shops will not touch various brands of clubs for adjustments due to the fear of damaging them. If that is the case, then you only have two choices should you need to adjust your clubs to fit any swing changes that may take place. One, is to buy a whole new set to match your new swing specs. Two, is to send your clubs back to the factory for adjustment. Both are costly, and/or time consuming.

JMHO........:comp:

Welcome to THP.

Anyways, just go to your local golf place, and demo all the irons you can! However, I like the Mizunos, then the X-22's, then the FT-ibrids from what you said...I can't stand the look of the FTibrids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id agree that you should just go and test out as many difference irons as you can. All the sets you listed are great clubs.
Id also recommend Callaway Big Berthas, Ping G10s and Mizuno MX-100s.

thanks for all the replies. I agree that the ibrids, especially the long irons, are ugly. I am able to look past that if they will out perform the others.

Back