Is Fred Couples a Hall of Famer?

After a little more thought I say no to the HOF. Mark O'Meara 2 majors, 16 wins, Pavin (1,15) and Furyk (1,16). Seems to me the HOF is cheapening its acceptance process.

You also have to look at not only his PGA Tour wins (15, and one major), but his Champions Tour wins (8, and two majors), his time in the Ryder Cup (5 appearances with the US team winning twice, losing twice, and one tie), and the President's Cup (4 appearances, 3 wins, plus 2 more wins in his two Captaincies). I think that is a HOF worthy career.

For me its no and it's the same thing for DL3. It is the hall of fame, not the hall of the very good. Too me for the hall of fame the criteria should be:
1)Majors
2)Were you at any point in your career considered possibly the best in the world
3)Tour wins

With only 1 major, and 15 tour wins and I don't think he was ever thought of as possibly the best player in the world, too me he is not a hall of famer. If the question was will he get in, I would say probably.

To offset that a little, you're right it is the Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of Wins.

You also have to look at not only his PGA Tour wins (15, and one major), but his Champions Tour wins (8, and two majors), his time in the Ryder Cup (5 appearances with the US team winning twice, losing twice, and one tie), and the President's Cup (4 appearances, 3 wins, plus 2 more wins in his two Captaincies). I think that is a HOF worthy career.

I don't count Champions Tour wins, though maybe I should. Since these guys become eligible at 40, I don't see why the Champions Tour will push them over the top.

I don't count Champions Tour wins, though maybe I should. Since these guys become eligible at 40, I don't see why the Champions Tour will push them over the top.

If Couples were voted into the HOF before his Champions Tour victories, I might be a little less sure about it, but I'd like to think that a World Golf Hall of Fame would include any and all of one's own golfing accomplishments. Two majors, on any tour, is impressive in my opinion, especially since nowadays there is so much parity in all facets of professional golf.

What is the criteria for getting into the HoF? This opens the door for Mark Omera, Justin Leonard, DL3, zinger and others. Where do draw the line? I'm in the camp that says 'no'
As much as I like him and his swagger, that's not enough too me

It maybe brings up a bigger of question of what the qualifying criteria should be for a player to get into the Hall of Fame.

What is the criteria for getting into the HoF? This opens the door for Mark Omera, Justin Leonard, DL3, zinger and others. Where do draw the line? I'm in the camp that says 'no'

[h=2]Criteria[/h] Each year, the World Golf Hall of Fame adds to its membership by inducting the greatest players and contributors in the game of golf through five categories.
PGA TOUR Ballot
PGA TOUR
  • Minimum 40 years old
  • PGA TOUR member for 10 years
  • 10 TOUR wins or 2 Majors or PLAYERS Championship wins
Champions Tour

• Champions Tour member for five years
  • 20 wins between PGA TOUR and Champions Tour or five major or PLAYERS Championship wins
The PGA TOUR Voting Body, comprised of golf journalists, historians and golf dignitaries, determines who is elected through this category each year. Election requires 65% of returned ballots. In the event that no candidate receives 65%, the nominee receiving the most votes with at least 50% is elected.

International Ballot

• Men and women a minimum of 40 years old
  • Cumulative 50 points earned from major wins, international tour wins and Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup and Solheim Cup participation
The International Voting Body, also comprised of golf journalists, historians and golf dignitaries, determines who is elected through this category each year. Election requires 65% of returned ballots. In the event that no candidate receives 65%, the nominee receiving the most votes with at least 50% is elected.

LPGA Point System

• Active LPGA Tour member for 10 years
  • Cumulative 27 point-system based on LPGA tournament wins. Must include a major championship win, the Vare Trophy or Rolex Player of the Year honor.
Any player meeting this criteria is eligible for induction.

Lifetime Achievement

• This category was created to honor those persons whose primary contributions have come from outside the competitive arena.
The World Golf Foundation Board of Directors' Selection Committee determines each year's recipient.

Veterans

• The Veterans Category honors those players, amateur or professional, whose distinguished careers are comparable to others who are already honored within the Hall of Fame.
The World Golf Foundation Board of Directors' Selection Committee determines each year's recipient.

I see no problem with it. It's not always about those who have/had the best numbers. As terrible as it is, popularity does play some part of it. Happens in every sport.

If Couples were voted into the HOF before his Champions Tour victories, I might be a little less sure about it, but I'd like to think that a World Golf Hall of Fame would include any and all of one's own golfing accomplishments. Two majors, on any tour, is impressive in my opinion, especially since nowadays there is so much parity in all facets of professional golf.

He was in before the Champions tour wins based on the qualifications needed. His 2 wins in the PLAYERS got him in.

[h=2]Criteria[/h] Each year, the World Golf Hall of Fame adds to its membership by inducting the greatest players and contributors in the game of golf through five categories.
PGA TOUR Ballot
PGA TOUR
  • Minimum 40 years old
  • PGA TOUR member for 10 years
  • 10 TOUR wins or 2 Majors or PLAYERS Championship wins
Champions Tour

• Champions Tour member for five years
  • 20 wins between PGA TOUR and Champions Tour or five major or PLAYERS Championship wins
The PGA TOUR Voting Body, comprised of golf journalists, historians and golf dignitaries, determines who is elected through this category each year. Election requires 65% of returned ballots. In the event that no candidate receives 65%, the nominee receiving the most votes with at least 50% is elected.

International Ballot

• Men and women a minimum of 40 years old
  • Cumulative 50 points earned from major wins, international tour wins and Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup and Solheim Cup participation
The International Voting Body, also comprised of golf journalists, historians and golf dignitaries, determines who is elected through this category each year. Election requires 65% of returned ballots. In the event that no candidate receives 65%, the nominee receiving the most votes with at least 50% is elected.

LPGA Point System

• Active LPGA Tour member for 10 years
  • Cumulative 27 point-system based on LPGA tournament wins. Must include a major championship win, the Vare Trophy or Rolex Player of the Year honor.
Any player meeting this criteria is eligible for induction.

Lifetime Achievement

• This category was created to honor those persons whose primary contributions have come from outside the competitive arena.

Veterans

• The Veterans Category honors those players, amateur or professional, whose distinguished careers are comparable to others who are already honored within the Hall of Fame.

The bolded part is the important part. That's how Couples got in this year, he was the leading vote getter with 51% of the vote. So he just scraped in under the criteria that is set.

I'm with you. As much as I love Freddie (not you, Freddie. But I do have a man-crush on you!! :bashful:) I don't think 15 PGA wins and 1 major is enough. I also don't think you should take into account Senior wins. Now, the captain of 3 President's Cups might be enough. I just think not.

For me its no and it's the same thing for DL3. It is the hall of fame, not the hall of the very good. Too me for the hall of fame the criteria should be:
1)Majors
2)Were you at any point in your career considered possibly the best in the world
3)Tour wins

With only 1 major, and 15 tour wins and I don't think he was ever thought of as possibly the best player in the world, too me he is not a hall of famer. If the question was will he get in, I would say probably.

1. He's got a Major and it's one that most consider "the" Major to win.
2. He was the first American to be ranked world #1
3. 15 total wins on the PGA plus his Champions Tour wins.

The bolded part is the important part. That's how Couples got in this year, he was the leading vote getter with 51% of the vote. So he just scraped in under the criteria that is set.

Here's the breakdown with some interesting names

CandidateVoting Results (%)
Fred Couples
51 %​
Ken Venturi
38​
Davis Love III
38​
Mark O'Meara
36​
Tony Lema
28​
Macdonald Smith
24​
Fuzzy Zoeller
22​
Dave Stockton
21​
Miller Barber
13​
Don January
13​
Harold (Jug) McSpaden
10​
Jim Furyk
8​
David Duval
1​
Steve Stricker
1​
Loren Roberts
0​

Based on what SW posted, he deserves to be in with the Masters and Players under his belt. That is the first time I've seen the actaul criteria to get in. If that is the case why is Steve Striker on the ballot?

Definitely happy with Freddie getting into the HOF. The guys has done so much for golf besides just winning some tournaments. Plus, I think he has one of the best swings to watch, love that easy motion and the power he gets behind it.

I am a yes. Sometimes a player transcends the game. He easily qualifies, but on top of that he is one of the most popular players ever. I think that has to be taken into account. You can name other guys with similar credentials, but they have not had the impact Freddie has. Been on multiple Presidents and Ryder cup teams, including the Captain and done well. He is also the career skins game money list leader! :)

What is the basis of the WGHOF, is it strictly based on statistics, I don't think so; although it obviously is a big piece, but not the only piece. What did he bring to this great game? How many people did he bring to the game? I think few could argue that is a pretty big number. Hall of Famer for sure.

What is the basis of the WGHOF, is it strictly based on statistics, I don't think so; although it obviously is a big piece, but not the only piece. What did he bring to this great game? How many people did he bring to the game? I think few could argue that is a pretty big number. Hall of Famer for sure.
Should John Daly get in? He was a game changer and brought 1000s to the game of golf. Ou know the idiots that yell, you da man. That phrase came about when he won the PGA, at least that is the first time I heard it. Anyway, he has two majors which means he is may get in. Based on how will be getting in and who is there, FC is a stretch. But he did qualify

I would have to on the yes side of the fence. It doesn't speak about his Ryder cup, Presidents cup, or the two man events he and DL3 won (event name escapes me). The Hollywood side of it does speak volumes too because he brought more people to the game, and to events he played in.

Should John Daly get in? He was a game changer and brought 1000s to the game of golf. Ou know the idiots that yell, you da man. That phrase came about when he won the PGA, at least that is the first time I heard it. Anyway, he has two majors which means he is may get in. Based on how will be getting in and who is there, FC is a stretch. But he did qualify

But Daly's past struggles with substance abuse, and his well-known temper on the golf course, would be something that HOF voters would pay attention to. Even if he has reformed his drinking habits, he still in this past year has shown his childishness on the golf course when he isn't playing well (Think the Australian Open this year when he got banned from the Aussie PGA for his stormy withdrawal after hitting 7 balls in the water on one hole). Daly isn't an ambassador to the game. Couples is.

1)Majors
3)Tour wins

Fred couples was unequivocally the best player in the world in the early 90s. He was world number one and money list winner two years running. As well as in 91 had a major and if I remember right t5 in everything else. 2 other 'majors' in players championships.

Not to mention his champions tour majors.

Also his Ryder cup and presidents cup and skins match play records are fantastic

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

I think Freddie gets in. And rightly so. While he may not have the wins as some of the bigger names, 15 wins and a major championship is nothing to sneeze at. He played his best when there was a lot of great talent out there and it was really tough fields. So I think if you take into consideration all his top 10's, top 25's and the like, he has had a great career and done a lot to bring new golfers to the game. I have liked Freddie since I was young and have always liked to see him do well so I hope that he gets in.

I think Freddie gets in. And rightly so. While he may not have the wins as some of the bigger names, 15 wins and a major championship is nothing to sneeze at. He played his best when there was a lot of great talent out there and it was really tough fields. So I think if you take into consideration all his top 10's, top 25's and the like, he has had a great career and done a lot to bring new golfers to the game. I have liked Freddie since I was young and have always liked to see him do well so I hope that he gets in.

Well you'll certainly like this news:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/rex-hoggard/couples-voted-in-for-hall-of-fame/?hj=xfs

Back