Ping Anser Driver Review - Forum Testing

Nice write up Mike. Sounds like your swing is coming around and the driver is performing. Isn't it sweet when you catch the sweet spot on this driver. It just seems to launch missiles.

Tapatalkin

Nice write up Mike. Sounds like your swing is coming around and the driver is performing. Isn't it sweet when you catch the sweet spot on this driver. It just seems to launch missiles.

Tapatalkin

It really does, it has a very definitive solid feel to it when you get ahold of one, definitely a different feel to it compared to my VRS

It really does, it has a very definitive solid feel to it when you get ahold of one, definitely a different feel to it compared to my VRS

I have been trying to focus on having a good tempo and hitting the sweet spot. I tend to get longer drives out of this swing over trying to crush it. This drive really rewards a sweet spot contact.

Nice write up mike. How is distance compared to your Nike so far?

Nice write up mike. How is distance compared to your Nike so far?

Hard to say as I didnt pay a ton of attention to the Nike distances and I really didnt get that many rounds in with the Nike before this testing. I know the Ping is longer, thats a fact, by how much, my guess is probably 7-10 yards on average. That Nike was a slice machine.

Hard to say as I didnt pay a ton of attention to the Nike distances and I really didnt get that many rounds in with the Nike before this testing. I know the Ping is longer, thats a fact, by how much, my guess is probably 7-10 yards on average. That Nike was a slice machine.

Was that due to swing, shaft or something else? Do you have problems with the Anser and this?

Was that due to swing, shaft or something else? Do you have problems with the Anser and this?

id say mostly the swing, but Im sure the shaft played a part in it.

reason I say this was that with my D2 my miss was a push right, with the Anser it is a push right, the Nike was a big ol slice. My D2 and the Anser just have a more "stout" feel to them, the Nike felt a little "whippy"

id say mostly the swing, but Im sure the shaft played a part in it.

reason I say this was that with my D2 my miss was a push right, with the Anser it is a push right, the Nike was a big ol slice. My D2 and the Anser just have a more "stout" feel to them, the Nike felt a little "whippy"

I am glad the Anser feels better. We're you fitted to the Nike or D2?

Tapatalkin

I am glad the Anser feels better. We're you fitted to the Nike or D2?

Tapatalkin

No and No

Hit the D2 head with some shaft I cant recall and loved the feel, just balooned on me, so I got it with the RIP shaft in it and loved that thing.

The Nike I bought on a whim cause the price was right and the face was hot, just could never get it worked for my swing.

good write up Mike....if you had to say something about this driver that you don't like or would change about it what would it be?

No and No

Hit the D2 head with some shaft I cant recall and loved the feel, just balooned on me, so I got it with the RIP shaft in it and loved that thing.

The Nike I bought on a whim cause the price was right and the face was hot, just could never get it worked for my swing.

It really seems like getting fitted for the Ping was the right way to go.

good write up Mike....if you had to say something about this driver that you don't like or would change about it what would it be?

I've never been one to tinker with adjustability, but after getting the driver fitting and tinkering with it a bit there, it really opened up my eyes on how important the fitting is, and the being able to utilize the adjustment options with a club. So in a perfect world if I would love this same driver/shaft combo, but with some more adjustment options. Now in a perfect world I dont have to mask my swing flaws, but being able to have more than 2 options beyond neutral would be helpful IMO

I have been really surprised by the new Ping grip used on this driver. It has some really cool features to it.

-One thing is that whichever way you adjust the driver, the grip looks the same. This is great when you are looking down at the driver at address. You don't worry about the adjustments and just get into your shot.

-I think it has a lot of grip to it and has a nice texture to it. I have played the NDMC in the past and feel like this grip stands right up there with it. It is not as rough as that grip, but still has a nice texture to it. I asked for them to boost it to a Mid-size grip and it stretches out nicely.

Overall- I think it is a great grip and I plan on using it after the testing period too.

Good points on the grip Grant. Its probably the first Ping grip I dont hate. Played 18 this morning on a nice course all to myself and stunk it up. I just could not get out of my own way. Sometimes I think playing by myself is worse for me then playing with a group when its slow. I snap hooked at least 3 or 4 tee shots with the Anser but the funny thing was I found them all. One was in the middle of the fairway that I was sure went into the woods. That one still baffles me. And Im not even a member at this place. It was strugglesville for me today.

Good points on the grip Grant. Its probably the first Ping grip I dont hate. Played 18 this morning on a nice course all to myself and stunk it up. I just could not get out of my own way. Sometimes I think playing by myself is worse for me then playing with a group when its slow. I snap hooked at least 3 or 4 tee shots with the Anser but the funny thing was I found them all. One was in the middle of the fairway that I was sure went into the woods. That one still baffles me. And Im not even a member at this place. It was strugglesville for me today.

I am glad you got out dude. That sucks about the snap hooks. I wish I could help out. I am meeting the wife now to drop the kid off. I am going out for 18 this afternoon. I hope it goes as well as yesterday's round. I am going to play the TFC today.

Tapatalkin

sure beats going to work.

We are all going to have a trip to strugglesville just dont take up residency there, maybe you are saving all of the good shots for your round with Buck!

Its almost like the Anser was mad about me hitting the Classic at the range yesterday for my last 10 or 12 balls. Punished me for it today. Tomorrow I'll show Buckjob how to hit a driver... LOL

Its almost like the Anser was mad about me hitting the Classic at the range yesterday for my last 10 or 12 balls. Punished me for it today. Tomorrow I'll show Buckjob how to hit a driver... LOL

that has to be it, you can be cheating on the Anser and expect it to perform to your liking. Be faithful to it KMAC and all will be right in the world.

yeah, Buck could use a few yards off of the tee

PING does have a good stock grip offering for this and good comparison to the NDMC...not as harsh but still works and doesn't make you want to change it out right away

I have been really surprised by the new Ping grip used on this driver. It has some really cool features to it.

-One thing is that whichever way you adjust the driver, the grip looks the same. This is great when you are looking down at the driver at address. You don't worry about the adjustments and just get into your shot.

-I think it has a lot of grip to it and has a nice texture to it. I have played the NDMC in the past and feel like this grip stands right up there with it. It is not as rough as that grip, but still has a nice texture to it. I asked for them to boost it to a Mid-size grip and it stretches out nicely.

Overall- I think it is a great grip and I plan on using it after the testing period too.

that has to be it, you can be cheating on the Anser and expect it to perform to your liking. Be faithful to it KMAC and all will be right in the world.

yeah, Buck could use a few yards off of the tee

I did hit some really good drives with it today but some stinkers too. Hopefully tomorrow that gets all worked out. Buck will not be hitting my driver.

I did hit some really good drives with it today but some stinkers too. Hopefully tomorrow that gets all worked out. Buck will not be hitting my driver.

Why? Afraid she'll like the way he treats her better? Worried she'll wanna leave you?

I let Siri do my THP'ing on my iPhone 5

4th Round with Anser- TFC 800D Shaft
Mooresville Golf Course, Mooresville, NC
70*, no wind
Blue tees, 6603 yds, 71.7/ 129

I played at my local city course today. This is a course that I have played my whole life, high school golf and worked at during high school. I knew it would be a good test for the TFC shaft. They always have good tee boxes and fairways, but their greens can struggle at times. They just aerated them, but that doesn't really matter to driver testing. I wanted to have a day with just the TFC in the driver, since I have been mostly playing the 'Ahina shaft. I was really impressed with a lot of things and struggled in some areas too. Here is the score card for the day.

Spoiler
mooresvilleround.jpg

Even thought I was 64% FIRs for the day, all 5 of my misses were to the right. This has been my biggest problem with the TFC shaft. I get it up higher and it can get away from me out to the right. I think if I adjusted the head to be closed, it would solve this problem, but might create other issues on normal hits. My distances with the TFC shaft were great all day too. Here they are.

1- 258, barely right of fairway
3- 256, right of fairway 15 yds.
4- 227- right of fairway on a big hill. This fairway you have to carry a hill about 260 out or not go anywhere when you land.
6- 250- Middle
7- 303- Middle, I felt like I caught this one on the toe, but it must have hit the sweet spot and had a nice draw on it.
8- 252- Middle,
10- 270- Middle
11- 243- Middle, I hit 3w on this one, because it is so tight. I decided to hit a easy driver to see how I would do. I stuck it in the middle of the fairway. Here is a picture off the tee box.
Spoiler
null.jpg

13-204- Right, There was a two trees about 40 yds apart on each side about 50 yds in front of the tee box. I ended up getting in the right tree and it shorted my drive.
15- 274- Middle
16- 252- Middle, this was an up hill hole.
17- 250- Barely right of fairway
18- 284- Middle

I wanted to include a picture of how high I am teeing the ball up too.
Spoiler
null-1.jpg

Overall- I had a really good day driving the ball. I would be happy with 64% any day of the week. I just don't like having my miss be a high cut. I would rather have a low push to the right instead. A high push can be carried off by the wind and create penalties. It was not windy at all today and I think my FIRs increased because of that. I think right now the 'Ahina shaft is the best for me, but I still want to get some launch monitor numbers. I hope to get on one after my lesson on Wednesday. I was hitting the center of the face most of the day and getting great drives out of it. I think I am going to be able to get out tomorrow. I just have to find a course that hasn't been aerated in the past week.

Previous post

Spoiler

Last edited:
PING does have a good stock grip offering for this and good comparison to the NDMC...not as harsh but still works and doesn't make you want to change it out right away

Yeah man, I don't see myself changing it for a while. I plan on playing it till it is worth out, so we can see the longevity of it.

Ping Anser 9.5* + Position (10*)
Fujikura Blur Stiff Shaft
Missouri Bluffs Golf Club
Temp 70*
Winds 20-25 MPH

I took the Anser out for my first full round with it after a solid range session and the results were definitely mixed. I teed the ball up using the Champ Stinger tees and teed it up to the bottom of the top line every time. I paid special attention to tee height with all the discussion here. This is just a bit higher than I normally tee the ball too.

Accuracy:
I hit 7/12 FIR, which is about the same percentage I usually see with my Titleist 910 D2 and even my TM SuperTri before that. I had 2 awful misses off the tee (low hard hooks) that resulted in lost balls and penalty strokes. I know my stroke was too quick for me, but i don't usually see that poor of shots using a similar swing with my 910. The other 3 misses were about 5-10 yards off the fairway and didn't really cost me too badly. These 3 were livable misses in my opinion. All my misses were on the left side of the fairway which was a big improvement for me. I was fighting a 2 way miss in my very first round with it and even at the range.

Distance:
Distances were mixed as well. The best shot I had was hit dead on the screws (see below for impact pic) and flew high and just seemed to pierce through all the cross winds. This is about the farthest I hit my 910 and ST on a similar elevation/wind combination. The majority of the other drives in the Fairway or close to the fairway were pretty close to my normal distance. It seemed like the toe misses flew like I expected them to, but the heel misses were definitely shorter than heel misses with my other driver. The average ball flight was probably a bit lower than the flight I see with my 910.

87D7D891-CB9A-4DF3-93BF-3316E35AE180-10947-00000E38EFD42DB2_zpsad56820b.jpg

Misc:
The sound definitely varies a good deal based on where you make impact. My best drive of the day had a solid sound to it, but the sound and level of 'Pinginess' varied a good deal. The toe and heel shots seem to be more high pitched to me with shots low on the face sound deeper. I even got a few comments on my misses, like "oh man I could tell that didn't sound good."

I will disagree with some of the other testers on the stock grip. I think its awful and will probably swap it out this week. It just feels too harsh to me and I'm not sure why it needs to be. I do like that it will look the same regardless of the position of the face. FWIW, I play the NDMC in my other long clubs so its not like I am coming from a soft Winn or something.

Looks / Durability:
I LOVE, LOVE the matte black finish. It is the first thing other people notice when they pick it up and its probably my favorite part of the club. I hope matte black is the new trend in drivers. I am not a fan of the large crown logo, but I can live with it. I do prefer a logo over no logo on the crown, but its just too big in my opinion.

The face is really holding up well and does not show the permanent face marks like my 910. I love how you can see the impact spot on each drive and they can just be wiped away before the next shot. The sole is holding up well too. I don't see any of the surface level scratches I saw with my SuperTri and I didn't get any dirt/mud in the little grooves on the sole during the entire round.

CC1DF23B-A30E-46AB-B551-EBA0959DB923-8407-00000BD6BD04DD4E_zpsaa06037f.jpg

1BE099B7-F2FD-4F46-9EAF-E0277431E507-2493-000000F9BF1F4358_zps2ef207bf.jpg

Head cover:
I really like the simplicity of the black leather head cover. It comes off easy enough and is easy to put back on. I like the basic sock nature and glad they don't have magnets, zippers, or any gimmicks. The sock portion is holding up well too, with very little extra stretching on the entry point.

Nice write up DDXU. What kind of distances were you seeing and how mixed up were they?

Back