Sun Mountain H2NO stand bag - review

the_paulo

Euro target practice
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 0.5
I go through more golf bags than I should. It's true. For the last 4 or 5 years, I've changed every season.

Bit of background - I walk every round. The weather in Scotland is changeable to be kind. For instance, 5 days ago it was just about 70 degrees (unheard of here, for March!) and yesterday it was 39 and snowing. So, I need a bag that can stand up to just about any conditions. It only tends to rain about 5 days out of 7 usually, so a bit of waterproofing can be handy.

My last bag was a Wilson Deep Red stand bag. 6 way divider, basic and that's about it. I got frustrated with it. The material at the top of the divider came away pretty early, making it tough to get clubs in and out without a fight. Snagging was a major issue too.

So, a few days ago I wandered into my local range (any of you Scottish guys, Bearsden Golf Range) and started chatting to one of the pros. He told me they were having an anniversary sale. So, I picked up the H2NO stand bag at a real bargain - probably about the same price as a good stand bag by most other companies.

The reason I was drawn to it was that it oozes build quality, and it was nice and bright! I'm attracted by shiny objects, yes. Just picking the bag up and looking it over tells me that it's a great quality piece of equipment. The kicker for me is the fully waterproof guarantee (when used with the rain hood, of course). The convenience of knowing you have dry towels and gloves in the bag is worth the little extra.

Here's some spec -

9.5” 4-Way top with 3 integrated handles
9 individual pockets
E-Z Fit® Dual Strap System

FEATURES:
  • The patent-pending top has three integrated handles.
  • The E-Z Fit Dual Strap System is easy to adjust and balances well.
  • There are nine pockets including a velour-lined valuables pocket and full-length apparel pocket.
  • For riding cart use we added a cart-friendly bottom and leg lock system.
  • Includes matching rainhood.
That doesn't really tell us much. You want some pics.

2012-03-31164554.jpg

The other side, with Parker looking suitably impressed -
2012-03-31164611.jpg

The top -
2012-04-01213530.jpg

The integrated handles, very handy for getting the clubs in and out of the car/locker etc -
2012-04-01214005.jpg

I've found the strap system to be incredibly comfortable so far. Easy enough to adjust (although not on the fly), and they are very well padded.

2012-04-01213712.jpg

A quick idea of storage space in the main pocket. It's big. I've got one towel and a rain jacket in there -

2012-04-01214307.jpg

With everything but the woods in - The dividers are almost full length, and the clubs seems to get in and out no problem due to the wider top. There isn't zero snagging, but it's been minimal at most.

2012-04-01214959.jpg

I've only managed a couple of rounds with the bag so far, and haven't had cause to test the waterproofing (thankfully!). As things stand, I'm very happy with the purchase. Carrying is comfortable, it's light, and there is masses of storage space compared to my last few stand bags. The stand itself works well, each leg can move independently, so it doesn't snag on a hill and fall over easily.

I'll try to keep updating this thread as we go, and happy to answer any questions or post more pics if anyone is interested.

Well done chap. Myself I find that Im clearly not serious enough for a stand bag. That being said this is well done and those more serious folk can find relevant information here. I also like that in your picture you have nothing but irons and a Yes! putter. Serious. Do you find that it holds your balls securely?

Last edited:
Thanks dude! I like these reviews. Bags are so fickle and its good to know how they hold. This like the Ping bag testing thread should be fun to follow. I'm going back and forth between getting a cart bag and pull cart vs a lightweight carry.

Well done chap. Myself I find that Im clearly not serious enough for a stand bag. That being said this is well done and those more serious folk can find relevant information here. I also like that in your picture you have nothing but irons and a Yes! putter. Serious. Do you find that it holds your balls securely?

It's serious, you know it. The putter only just made the final cut.

I find that a combination of properly fitted stand bag carried whilst in the right skinny trouser prevents any ball jangleage which may affect the tempo of my stride.

been in the same position as you, decided to go with a compact 14-way divider before going the waterproof route, here's the other waterproof products i liked the look of
http://www.titleist.com/accessories/carry-bags/stadry-stand-bag.aspx
http://www.stewartgolf.co.uk/product/W3/NEW+W3+Waterproof+Stand+Bag

tbh, the waterproof aspect wasn't something I set out to look for, but when I thought about it - it's a handy bonus when playing here. Had a couple of rounds last year which were just ruined by the turn because I couldn't grip the club. I'd definitely consider putting this bag on your comparisons list if you're thinking of going for a waterproof one.

yeah know the feeling, thats why i searched and found those three products, but i decided i would try a 14-way before getting a waterproof bag
ideally i would have had a waterproof 14-way for the Scottish weather but it would appear that no manufacturer designs large waterproof bags?

Be interested to hear how you get on with the 14 way. I like a 14 way on a cart, but the one carry bag I had really had issues with clubs clattering off each other when I was walking. I'd imagine newer ones would be better though.

You'd think they would have such a product, but maybe that's a symptom of being a relatively small market in the golfing world as a whole? I'd guess that worldwide, more people play in the sunshine.

Thanks for sharing this paulo...I too walk and carry all the time, and even though we don't get the rain you do, it can make things miserable if you don't have some weather gear. I have the Sun Mountain SL 3.5, and love it. Once in a while the clubs get a little tangled at the bottom, but they usually come out ok. And the EZ Fit strap is really comfortable. Nice purchase there.

Thanks Dogman. I almost went for the SL, as they had this in the shop too. It was a close call between them, but they had the black SL and fashion won the day (my gf picked this one!).

Thanks Dogman. I almost went for the SL, as they had this in the shop too. It was a close call between them, but they had the black SL and fashion won the day (my gf picked this one!).

I think it looks great, and the fact it's waterproof has to mean a lot when you golf in the rain. Mine is pretty water resistant, but when I finished one rainy day, the stuff in the outer pockets was wet and needed to be taken in and dried. Fortunately, not as much rain where I am at. :D

Keep us informed as to how it wears....mine is already showing some signs of wear at the top where the clubs rest. The material is pretty thin there on mine.

I think in America there is a high chance of lightning with rain, golfers will stop and seek cover. Here in the UK its not so common so we are more likely to continue playing in rain conditions. Hence the reason I don't think they cater to us wet weather golfers.
I liked the look of all three products but was swaying toward the Stewart golf design, I liked the dedicated mobile pocket and more dividers. The Sun Mountain bag is a great looking bag, a friend has the Four 5 which is a 14-way stand bag and it is a beast with a 10" top.
I went with the TM Supreme Hybrid 2.0 which is only a 9" top and seems more compact, loving it so far, see how it holds up in the rain and then I can check back here to see how your H2NO is doing.

Did you decide on a bag yet Iain?

Quick update on the H2NO -

I've noticed one thing that's bothering me. The legs seem pretty reluctant to retract automatically when I pick the bag up. The optimistic part of me wants to put that down to it being new, and thinking that the mechanism will free up a little, but with my previous Wilson bag, the action was a lot tighter every time. I'll be keeping an eye on that.

Had the bag out in the rain at the weekend and it performed very well. The water just runs off the sides and everything in the pockets was perfectly dry when retrieved. Just a shame I couldn't wear the bag, I got soaked.

quick question, the stand mechanism, is it internal or external? (my friend had an issue with a internal mech catching and he noticed some shaft wear on his fairway clubs)

I have this bag and have found it amazing! Have had to use it in the rain many times as well and it certainly keeps everything dry. I like the stand and strap a lot, as well

quick question, the stand mechanism, is it internal or external? (my friend had an issue with a internal mech catching and he noticed some shaft wear on his fairway clubs)

It's external, which I guess is a plus. Seems to be freeing up a little over time, but I'll keep an eye on it.

One really small gripe, I'd like a dedicated drink pouch. There are a couple of pockets in the right place, but I'm fussy. :D

Hi,

Can you post a picture with the rain hood attached?

Thank you
Thai

One really small gripe, I'd like a dedicated drink pouch. There are a couple of pockets in the right place, but I'm fussy. :D

This would be a gripe of mine as well. I play golf through the winter here in Vancouver and love the thought of a waterproof bag, although I'm fussy about what pockets my bag has. I'm happy with my Ogio grom except for the weight - 8 lbs! Way too heavy to carry on the hilly course I play the most.

Hi,

Can you post a picture with the rain hood attached?

Thank you
Thai

Sorry Thai, I totally missed this. I'll try to snap a pic over the next couple of days.

I'm still getting on well with this bag. The lack of a drink pouch still bugs me, and I've noticed that the black rubber at the top of the opening and on the handle seems to rub off on the shafts of your clubs. Just a minor annoyance.

One more thing. The bag is waterproof, but sometimes my clothes are not. So I tend to forget that the water does stay on the outside of the bag when I pick it up and put it against myself, or take it in the house!

It's a stonkin' great bag and it really keeps things dry...but the holes/joints/whatevs where the carry straps attach to the bag itself are so-so. My buddy broke his within a season and mine look like falling off any day now, despite not carrying all that much.

Nice to see that we have the exact same bag paulo!

It's a stonkin' great bag and it really keeps things dry...but the holes/joints/whatevs where the carry straps attach to the bag itself are so-so. My buddy broke his within a season and mine look like falling off any day now, despite not carrying all that much.

Nice to see that we have the exact same bag paulo!

Nice choice, it's a looker for sure. I haven't even noticed the strap attachments, I'll need to have a look at those when I get home and keep an eye out.

Absolutely beautiful Vizsla!

Ha, cheers man, he does like to get into a pic or 2!

Bought this bag two years ago...got the red one just like the pictures...First bag lasted 5 months or about 40 rounds of golf and it broke right were you pick it up at the lift handle. Company replaced it and after 4 months it broke again at the same spot. They replaced it again saying they are doing me a favour as they usually only replace it once. Didn't have any red and white ones left so sent a black one and said that's all they can do. This will last a few months I'm sure as they haven't made any changes even to the 2013 model. Be careful of this bag. Expensive, great looking but won't last.

Back