Adams a7 OS irons/Nike Machspeed irons

Dan637

Reaction score
Handicap
20+
I have no doubt, I'm a hacker, so am I banging my head against the wall trying to decide which set to purchase? Will there really be a difference in performance for a guy who plays once or twice a week during the summer and is just out to make a few good shots and achieve a couple of pars? My head tells me to get the Adams set but I keep coming back to the Nike clubs because I've been using Nike for a few years. Actually now I use the Nike Machspeed Black driver I purchased in April, but my Nike NDS irons set is out of date and look too old. I would attempt to demo the clubs I'm considering but no store has them in left handed. Will the Adams set be that much better for me or would staying with Nike make much difference? Thanks for any input.

Will it be better? No, not necessarily. For some sure, for others the Nike will be enjoyed more. Both are quality sets and you should go with what fits your eye and budget best.

I have some A7OS clubs and they are super simple to hit, almost to close your eyes and swing stage and it will still go nicely. I dropped a ton of stokes off my cap but just switching to those and getting ride of all the not perfect strikes off my old hogans. Im going by the school of thought of try to make this crazy hard game easier any way I can.

I have the machspeed and really like them. But I'm sure either would probably be fine. I just hit the machspeed a better the day I bought them.

I have a set of the A7OS clubs as well and they have been the most consistant set of Irons I have ever owned. The hybrids will ensure that your longer shots (3, 4 and 5 irons) get height and distance and plenty of roll on drier firmer days. The 6 and 7 irons are then muscle back type clubs with the cavity part filled in to give you extra stability and distance. Scoring irons (8-SW) are then your standard cavity back clubs - great feeling off the face and you tend to get plenty of height for a quicker stop on the green.

As a mid handicapper I find the mix of hybrids and irons to be very appealing indeed and I have been very happy with mine which I've had for 18 months now.

Only other set of clubs I would look at right now would be the Adams Tech V3 or Adams A12OS.

I dont think you can go wrong with either set honestly.

You dont play often, so I dont think you will go hit both in a simulator nor get fitted, so if I played as much as you, I would look for the best deal and splurge.

If you're a high handicapper looking to make the game easier, check out the Cleveland HB3s. I've owned Adams A4OS, Nike Sumo 2s and have hit Adams A7OS and A12OS. Adams typically changes shafts or by going from hybrids to musclebacks and then to cavities, they create some weird distance gaps. They also have a little longer shaft length and some stronger lofts.

I think the HB3s are better because they're a more integrated set from top to bottom than what Adams offers. The shafts will be consistent through the set (either all graphite or all steel). They head sizes step down evenly with each club. The lofts and shafts also step off evenly and they're also not quite as extreme. They're not going to win any beauty prizes, but I kind of like going high and straight all day long.

. . . Only other set of clubs I would look at right now would be the Adams Tech V3 or Adams A12OS.

My first post as a new member.

I am in a similar boat as Dan637. I am a hack that only get out once a week or so during four cooler weather months (April/May, September/October). So I not interested in making a major equipment purchase, but rather a good combination of game improvement irons w/hybrids set, and price. I am struggling to decide between the Adams A7 and Adams Redline. Both can be had in the $250-$300 range. Not interested in paying more than than. Hybrids are the strength of my game. Not suprisingly, as a high handicapper, short irons (and putting) are liabilities. Currently using a iron set purchased back in 1994. So I am long overdue. Looking at iron sets with 3h-4/5h, and irons for remainder of set. I have read many posts and threads in this forum for guidance in making a decision. The Redlines are a year or two newer, and irons seem to be the overwhelming best part of this set. But A7 has had it's share of glowing reviews too. Of the two sets, and the desire to continue to build upon the stength of my hybrid use, which of these two sets (A7 vs Redline) would you recommend?

Not that Golf Digest Hot List is the absolute authority, but I am also curious why the Adams Redline irons set did not make it into the survey for any year (Redline driver did in 2005)? I see that other manufacturers occassionally have more than one set presented in the same category.

Back