Parent-Child Golf

From a Child perspective. My dad is one of my favorite playing partners. We go to a bunch of different courses and just have a great time. There are a lot of memories on the golf course. Although I never play good around him, it's still alot of fun.

It's just something completely different playing with a parent instead of a friend. On the course though he is like a best friend. We usually go two or three times a week.

As a third generation golfer in my family, I can say that some of my best golf memories are with my grandfather and my dad. The two that stick out most in my mind are:

1986 - My grandfather was about a six handicap at the time and I finally beat him. Parred the last hole to shoot 78 at one of the toughest courses in the area. I think he was happier than I was.

2005 - My dad and I won his member-guest. We both have pictures of ourselves with the trophy all over our houses. And every time I walk into his clubhouse, I stop to look at our names on the trophy.

My little Goose is turning into a little jock, and I think the basketball and softball are helping her golf. Her hands and arms are much stronger now than they were this time last year. She takes lessons at our local First Tee each week, then we play the little three hole pitch-n-putt course afterward. Last week she got up and down for a really nice three on the last hole and beat me on a hole for the first time. It was so wonderful to see her get excited like that. I just hope and pray that she sticks with it.

As for the Gator, at 18 months she's still a little young, but she likes watching golf on TV with me.

My kids are grown... but I bought clubs for both my 6-year-old grandson and my 9-year-old grandaughter for Christmas. They've both shown an interest in the game and grandpa is eager to play with them as they become better.

And then of course- there are three more grandaughters coming along behind them ages 3, 3, and 1!

Things have come full circle for my dad and I. He taught me how to play (not too well, but he isn't very good himself- guy did his best), and was always there for me to aim for (score wise- I wasn't trying to kill the guy) as I was growing up. When I got to high school, I started playing other sports, and abandoned golf. My dad and I were always close, though.

Last year, when I picked the game back up after not playing for six and a half years, my dad was again the standard. It took me months to beat him. It was just a mental block thing. I would go out and shoot progressively lower as my game got better (due to my obsessive three or four times a week of playing), and I would just choke when he and I played together. It was entirely mental- I was a pretty good wrestler, but always had a hard time with my middle aged dad. It could be that he taught me, or it could be that I didn't really want to beat him in either sport.

Well, now my dad doesn't come close to me. I have beaten him by 13 strokes in a round of 9, and it is usually about 10. Like I said before, it has come full circle. I now give him tips and try to get him better- shoot I even just bought him Nickent hybrids because he loved my uncle's so much. Now that it isn't a competition, I enjoy it so much more- not because I beat him, but because all it is is me hanging out with my dad.

I really just love playing with my old man- we are close and that is just more time that he and I get to spend together. I think about it so much differently now. When I was growing up, it was a competition- what kid doesn't want to beat his dad in sports? Your dad is the strongest man in the world, right? Now that I am a parent, I just view my parents differently, and cherish every minute I get to spend with them. Golfing with my dad is probably my favorite- it is something he and I shared together when I was growing up and now do again.

I just really look forward to sharing the same experiences with my kids- I don't know why, but golfing just cultivates that bond to me. My daughter is still young, but we have gotten started....

065.jpg

Watch out Lorena!

That's adorable!

Wait a minute--are you a lefty?

My Dad always golfed, but it never occured to him to get me into the game. I was a daughter. By the time I picked it up, he had congestive heart failure. They were visiting last September, and we did manage a round at our par 3 muni. Dad could barely walk it, and he hadn't swung a club in years. But he drove the green on the last hole (about 140 yards), and that made him really happy.

That's adorable!

Wait a minute--are you a lefty?

My Dad always golfed, but it never occured to him to get me into the game. I was a daughter. By the time I picked it up, he had congestive heart failure. They were visiting last September, and we did manage a round at our par 3 muni. Dad could barely walk it, and he hadn't swung a club in years. But he drove the green on the last hole (about 140 yards), and that made him really happy.

Yeah, I am a lefty- I am in the lefties group.

Good story, btw. I ask my dad to play every chance I get.

I took Twerpy to play with me this past Sunday, at the par 3 in my brother's neighborhood.

The 3 of us piled into the cart to play, through 30mph winds. It was slow (took 2 hours for 9 holes) but we all had a lot of fun. Toward the end, Twerpy was whacking the ball 50-75 yards at a go. She had a ton of fun.

Interesting thread.

I will relay a short story.

My father was a stratch golfer and was also club champion at our club. Before I joined (i was a 29 handicap my first year - age 32) we would have parent/child tournaments, which were alternate shot.

My father told me that he had seen parts of the course that he had never seen before and played shots that he had never attemped prior. I can relate to many stories about parent/child golfing.

The only time we won was when I was older and a 12 and he was much older and a 6.

Also take your kids out with you, it's something you will always remember and it's something I regret never doing when mine were growing up.

My five year old dhas been coming to the range with me and has been having a great time. She doesn't stop talking the whole time we are there then she wonders why no one goes in the slot next to her. She has been doing a great job at school and helping out around the house so we asked her what she would like as a special treat. Golf clubs was her response. I ordered her the lavender US kids set. Hopefully she will continue having a good time with it.

How cool, can'tputt! Boo Girl narrates her entire game as well. It's cute for the first several holes.

Our club held its first ever family golf day today, and it was a blast. Turnout was huge--something like 105 people signed up, though not everyone came (they figured they could accomodate 100).

We used one of the two courses. Format was nine hole scramble, with foursomes or fivesomes. The Kid had a baseball game and had no interest, so Hubby, Boo Girl, and I were teamed up with a father-son pair. Boo was very concerned that her shots would never be used, but the rule was that everyone's tee shot had to be used at least once. The kids' tees were far forward enough that her tee shot got used for the very first hole.

Boo stuck it out the whole nine holes. Her favorite part was riding in the cart, squeezed between her parents. Luckily, our teamates were both very good. As a team, we tied for third with a 37. Afterwards, I got The Kid and we all went to the family barbecue. Sat with friends and had a really good time.

We got a new Head of Golf last year, and he's taking the junior program seriously. He claims it's the largest in the state, and it's clear that it's important to the club--both to keep its current members involved (and spending money) and to groom the next generation of members. With us,s it's working.

That is awesome Claire. What a great day.

That is awesome Claire. What a great day.

Thanks. It was overcast and threatening this morning, but cleared up nicely. Low seventies, sunny, and breezy. Perfect day for it.

That sounds like a blast Claire.

My daughter is going to "golf camp" next week, it's just two days each week for a couple of hours a day. This will be her first real experience outside of hitting in the yard and one time at the driving range.

Sounds like a good time for everyone Claire. Glad your daughter enjoyed it.

That sounds like a blast Claire.

My daughter is going to "golf camp" next week, it's just two days each week for a couple of hours a day. This will be her first real experience outside of hitting in the yard and one time at the driving range.

Sorry if I'm not keeping track, Mo--how old is your daughter? Boo just turned nine.

Sorry if I'm not keeping track, Mo--how old is your daughter? Boo just turned nine.

I have two daughters, a 10 year old and a 5 year old. She is pretty excited about camp because my nieces boyfriend will be there as one of the instructors. The young one is not too happy that she can't go, minimum age is 7.

I have two daughters, a 10 year old and a 5 year old. She is pretty excited about camp because my nieces boyfriend will be there as one of the instructors. The young one is not too happy that she can't go, minimum age is 7.

She'll have fun. The thing with girls is their friends have to play as well, so they don't lose interest.

Well I took her to golf camp this morning, she had a good time. She was a little nervous because she didn't know any of the other kids, but having Mike there to help her was great. He spent a lot of time with her and she is excited to go back on Wed.

Well I took her to golf camp this morning, she had a good time. She was a little nervous because she didn't know any of the other kids, but having Mike there to help her was great. He spent a lot of time with her and she is excited to go back on Wed.

Good for her--and she'll make friends in no time.

I am pretty new here and I just found this thread.

I have 2 girls. They are 10 and 8. We got them little sets when I started playing about 3 years ago. (I think they started with a putter and wedge each, then we got them sets). We started out with basic things like grip, shoulder turn, etc. They have taken a few lesson here and there since they started. When Darren or I take a lesson, we usually ask our pro to take a minute with the girls if they are at the range practicing.

They play with Darren and me every weekend. They can warm up on the range, or not. We bring their clubs and they can hit whenever like, as long as they keep pace. We want them to have the opportunity to play a game that they can play their entire lives. I hope they learn to love golf as we do, but we do not push.

Today the 10 year old did not play at all the the 8 year old came up and putted a few greens on the back nine. (They bring ipods, books, etc to keep themselves occupied or they chat with us between holes).

Our pro is starting a junior golf team and he asked the girls to play. They have had 2 practices so far. (They are the only 2 girls on the team, so far). Our team will be playing some other clubs in tournaments. For their age group, it is 6 holes. I am nervous for them because I cannot help them with rules or keep score or anything.

Our pro thinks the team concept will be motivating. They will get team shirts and bags.

I think I posted this pic already, but here are my girls with Vicki Hurst.

photo-50.jpg

Very cool! Boo Girl is on and off about playing with us. The Kid pretty much refuses. :bad:

Boo's three hole league is supposed to begin this evening, so naturally it's clouding up again.

We've both been looking foward to this--three kids and one parent walking (that would be me). The kids hit from special tees, about 150 yards out. I think that once they regularly get up and down in 20, they can graduate to the six hole league.

I hope it happens.

Boo's three hole league is supposed to begin this evening, so naturally it's clouding up again.

We've both been looking foward to this--three kids and one parent walking (that would be me). The kids hit from special tees, about 150 yards out. I think that once they regularly get up and down in 20, they can graduate to the six hole league.

I hope it happens.

Pictures please.

Hope they get it in too, sounds like a fun time for them. And you!

Back