Josh

Reaction score
Handicap
I am in the market for a new driver and thought I would get some feedback from everyone. My girlfriend got me a giftcard for Dicks Sporting Goods for Father's Day. I currently have a Nike Ignite 9.5 deg with a stiff shaft. I am currently considering the Nike Dymo, the Taylormade Tour Burner, the Cleveland Monster, and the Callaway Diablo. I am going to demo these this weekend and am really excited. I tried out the Dymo a few months ago and the simulator (a 9.5 deg stiff) and the simulator said my launch angle was too low and my spin rate was too fast. Anyway, any imput or suggestions for clubs, etc would be great.

Thanks.

They're all good choices. Best suggestion is to go hit 'em. Compare the results from the launch monitor, and go with the one that

A) produces the best results
B) makes you the happiest

Good luck, and have fun!

You are on a really good fence there and which ever way you fall, you will be getting a great driver. Whichever fits your swing best is the obvious answer. I have hit each and every one and here are my thoughts.

DYMO - Great driver, hot face, however slightly closed and looks can be an issue for some people.

Burner - I prefer the regular to the TP. Same driver for the most part, with one being open and one being closed. SUPER LONG Driver partly due to long shaft.

Monster - Long and straight that is exactly what this one does. However it is the loudest driver that I have ever heard and that can be an issue for some.

Diablo - Good solid driver that many love. I liked it a lot as did our testers. Not the longest or the most forgiving, but a good solid driver.

You can check out our Huge Driver Shoot out, or our Forgiving driver shoot out for what others are thinking.

I am in the market for a new driver and thought I would get some feedback from everyone. My girlfriend got me a giftcard for Dicks Sporting Goods for Father's Day. I currently have a Nike Ignite 9.5 deg with a stiff shaft. I am currently considering the Nike Dymo, the Taylormade Tour Burner, the Cleveland Monster, and the Callaway Diablo. I am going to demo these this weekend and am really excited. I tried out the Dymo a few months ago and the simulator (a 9.5 deg stiff) and the simulator said my launch angle was too low and my spin rate was too fast. Anyway, any imput or suggestions for clubs, etc would be great.

Thanks.

I'd say you're on the right track, keep demo'ing and see what works best for you.

With the selection at Dick's, and looking at what you listed, you may also like the Taylormade R9/R9 460, Callaway FT-iq, Callaway FT-9, Adams Speedline, or Adams A4/A4OS drivers as well. There are a lot of reviews on the main sight, and all of these (except the Adams line) have been included either in a solo review or as part of a Driver Shootout.

Thanks Guys....I have been looking at the driver reviews on THP and they are be best and most informative on the web. THP is the best!!! Great information and very in depth. Can't wait to get out there and try them out. I actually like my Ignite but am hoping with some of the new technology I can get a little more distance and forgiveness.

Come back and let us know what you chose.

I will hopefully give an update on Monday. How do I insert a pic when I get one?

JB,

As I recall from you review of the Diablo, you weren't very fond of the stock shaft. Is this correct? Do you know if they are available in different shafts? Do you have one you would recomend, not just for the Diablo but what's your favorite in general?

It was an okay shaft but Callaway has been putting some great shafts out recently in their drivers and I felt that this one did not match my swing.

For Aftermarket shafts my two favorites are:

Fubuki
Graphite Design Tour AD

Stock shafts I really think that it is probably Graphite Design Aura Red. Or UST V2

What driver do you currently use?

Nike DYMO Str8 Fit but I like a lot of different models. I also love the Str8-Fit. It just happens to be that is the one I have because it was a wedding present from Nike. No reason to buy another one if this one is working.

sorry if this is a threadjack, but nike sent you a wedding present JB? what kinda position are you in haha?

sorry if this is a threadjack, but nike sent you a wedding present JB? what kinda position are you in haha?

JB is one of the owners of the site - he gets to hobnob with all those golf companies regularly.

Spoiler
Lucky SOB! :D

Publisher of this very site. They have taken care of THP by providing things to review and we have always sent them back so it was a nice gift.

We have quite a few people that make this place happen. Forecaddie, Craig Mac, Hacker, Golfergal22, and me.

And of course the best members in the world.

You don't hear THAT very often around here! hehehe

Welcome to THP TJJames!

So....I finally made a decision after about three hours of testing at Dicks. I went with the Nike Dymo2 10.5 deg stiff. I was really on the fence about getting the square version of this club but after hitting just about everything they had there it was down to the Dymo and the Dymo2. There really wasn't a noticible difference between the two for distance, maybe just a couple of yards but I hit the Dymo2 much more consistently. I was hitting both around 285 average so I figured at that distance it was more important to focus in on accuracy than a couple more yards in distance.

Back