Rory McIlroy To Nike?

His presence alone moves the entire industry's equipment. You just cant say that about any other person in any other sport.

I think it used to be like that with Andre Agassi and tennis. I don't see players moving stuff in team sports that much, but single sports it happens a lot more.

I think it used to be like that with Andre Agassi and tennis. I don't see players moving stuff in team sports that much, but single sports it happens a lot more.

I was going to maybe say basketball players and shoes, but maybe not even

His presence alone moves the entire industry's equipment. You just cant say that about any other person in any other sport.

Agreed, there have been a few that got close, i.e. Sidney Crosby in the NHL or maybe Ken Griffey JR in his hay day maybe, just the first couple that came to mind.

TW moves the needle no matter what, whether you like him or not!

I think if Rory moves it will work out in the end, he has so much raw talent it may matter a little with what equipment he plays but not a ton, I'll be curious to see how many clubs he has on the new agreement. He seems to like his new putter a lot after winning the US Open at Congressional with it.

Anyone imagining that maybe Rory will hit the ground running, and love his new equipment so much that he'll play even better?

Anyone imagining that maybe Rory will hit the ground running, and love his new equipment so much that he'll play even better?

In my opinion, it will be over-hyped. If he wins...it's because of the new equipment. If he loses...it's because of the new equipment. Unfortunately for him, he's gonna be under the microscope for like 6 months.

Fortunately these guys have all the time in the world to adjust with fitting labs, sponsor ranges, etc before their tour schedules start up

I agree for player's irons and wedges, but I think the longer clubs may be a bigger adjustment.

I was going to maybe say basketball players and shoes, but maybe not even

I would say shoes. A lot of player's get "their" shoe, so name association I think sells in that case.

If Rory does go to Nike, I think it will be interesting to see if Nike makes a Rory McIllroy line of clothing, shoes, etc, and how that will compare with the TW line.

They both seem to have a more traditional style in the sense that neither of them wear extremely flashy clothing (thinking of the Ricky Fowler and Ian Poulter flashy.) So would Nike want to push two lines of clothing that might be similar?

If I'm Rory, I have that be a part of my deal....but Tiger may have a similar clause in his contract that prevents another player's 'signature line' from being branded by Nike too

If Rory does go to Nike, I think it will be interesting to see if Nike makes a Rory McIllroy line of clothing, shoes, etc, and how that will compare with the TW line.

They both seem to have a more traditional style in the sense that neither of them wear extremely flashy clothing (thinking of the Ricky Fowler and Ian Poulter flashy.) So would Nike want to push two lines of clothing that might be similar?

If I'm Rory, I have that be a part of my deal....but Tiger may have a similar clause in his contract that prevents another player's 'signature line' from being branded by Nike too

Yeah I guess there really hasn't been anybody in the Nike stable that comes close to Tiger's "level" that would need a signature line.

Sweet. Something that will only ever appeal to basketball fans.
More guys than you think. D Rose and Kobe Carmello Anthony Kevin Durant to name a few

Whereas polos are universally owned and shopped by anyone who goes into a golf store, a nike store, any sporting goods store.

NBA shoe lines are insignificant compared to Nike Apparel

you may want to check the amount of money spent on NBA shoe lines....it's more than you think...sales in China alone are billions of dollars

Whereas polos are universally owned and shopped by anyone who goes into a golf store, a nike store, any sporting goods store.

I don't think you could be farther from the truth on that one. A NBA shoe line is what made Nike for one. Go to any US college campus and take a look at what they have on their feet, many Finish Lines and Foot Lockers in major cities do midnight releases for new shoes. I'm not saying that Nike Golf apparel isn't a huge seller, but to say that their basketball shoe sales are insignificant is not accurate.

Im not saying their shoe line sales are insignificant, Im saying their reach with their apparel is far greater.

Im not saying their shoe line sales are insignificant, Im saying their reach with their apparel is far greater.

Dude not a lot of people buy golf polos to wear out for a night on the town I dont think... Thats where Polo Ralph Lauren and companies like that make their money.. I don't think I have ever worn a Nike polo out. I have seperate wardrobes for golf and for dressing nice.. and I dont have any friends who wear "performance" polos other than playing golf..

I do however have plenty of friends who wear basketball shoes that dont play basketball

Dude not a lot of people buy golf polos to wear out for a night on the town I dont think... Thats where Polo Ralph Lauren and companies like that make their money.. I don't think I have ever worn a Nike polo out. I have seperate wardrobes for golf and for dressing nice.. and I dont have any friends who wear "performance" polos other than playing golf..

I do however have plenty of friends who wear basketball shoes that dont play basketball

I guess I come from a place that is exactly reversed from you.

20 times more adidas and nike polos than basketball shoes lol

Ok, fair enough. I don't happen to own a single pair of basketball shoes, but at the end of the day Nike makes way more off their basketball shoes than their polos, and probably all of their apparel put together

Interesting, I knew nike was a shoe company obviously, but I didnt know that only their basketball shoe line was that dominant.
Ok, fair enough. I don't happen to own a single pair of basketball shoes, but at the end of the day Nike makes way more off their basketball shoes than their polos, and probably all of their apparel put together

Back