Murray

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all,

I just had an iron fitting and came away with the Titleist AP2 712's as the best option. Now, the shaft that seemed to perform best was the DG XP, but the fitter suggested to go for a normal DG due to launch angle. The XP out performed it in every aspect apart from the launch was too high at 21.2 compared to 19.6 on the normal DG.

Here are the numbers, any help would be great!

DG XP:
Distance - 180
CH Speed - 89.3
B Speed - 112.6
Smash - 1.26
Spin - 5214
Launch V - 21.2
Launch H - 6.0
Descent - 46.6
Height - 113

DG:
Distance - 172
CH Speed - 87.9
B Speed - 109.9
Smash - 1.25
Spin - 4315
Launch V - 19.6
Launch H - 8.3
Descent - 44.0
Height - 96

Honest question for you. What makes you think the launch is too high if it is outperforming it in every other category?

The XP seems to be the winner... I don't really understand. It is by far the better shaft for you

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Honest question for you. What makes you think the launch is too high if it is outperforming it in every other category?

This is why I thought I'd ask you guys, because I don't understand why he would say the other!

What iron were you using for your fitting? Those spin numbers look pretty low. I'm guessing your launch was higher with the XP because your angle of attack increased due to the higher launching XP shaft.

Based purely on the numbers you listed, the XP is the clear winner.

What iron were you using for your fitting? Those spin numbers look pretty low. I'm guessing your launch was higher with the XP because your angle of attack increased due to the higher launching XP shaft.

Based purely on the numbers you listed, the XP is the clear winner.

6 iron

The spin numbers for a 6 iron are pretty low with the DG shaft, more acceptable with the DG XP shaft. Did you feel a big difference between the XP shaft and the standard DG shaft?

I'd go with the XP. The spin on the DG is lower than you would want.

The spin numbers for a 6 iron are pretty low with the DG shaft, more acceptable with the DG XP shaft. Did you feel a big difference between the XP shaft and the standard DG shaft?

I wasn't hitting it great in the session but felt the most comfortable with the XP shaft in, yes.

I went through a Mizuno fitting myself today. I did it to see what the shaft optimizer is all about and what the results calculate. Well, low and behold it's telling me the KBS Tour is the complete wrong shaft for me. Interesting. The most ideal shaft is the Dynalite XP Gold S, possibly soft stepped once. Again interesting as this is a high spin shaft. I'm a pretty high spin player and combining the two always scares me into thinking I'll start hitting balloon shots.

I'm not sure what to think. I was talking to the Mizuno rep about spin rates and he said ideally you want your 6i in the high 6000's, and according to the monitors I was achieving about 6800. This seems really high to me. Currently I hit my Adams players club with KBS Tour S about 5900. I thought the ideal spin rate for a 6i is around 6000.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to think about my experience. Has me thinking I need to tinker and try these iron shafts. Maybe in a JPX or MP head, we'll see which I decide.

I did a bit of reading after my fitting and came across a site that claimed the average spin rate on tour for a 6 iron is 6300

Maybe the fitter had the dg shafted ap2's in stock and wanted to move inventory or he's not a competent fitter... It's hard to say without being involved.

The xp's are the clear winner you should go with them.

Last edited:
No question XP all day every day. Order them up.

I learn something new from this site everyday. It's fascinating to follow this discussion! Thanks everybody. You've not only helped the OP, but me also.

Back