GPS vs Range Finder

My Golf Buddy Platinum is one of the best buy's I have made. It has visuals of the holes touch screen that makes it easy to hit to a number good stats feature and score card and is accurate on yardage. It's quick to use as the yardage changes as you move so you just glance at it and know. Love it and would recomend it.

I've been using SkyDroid on my phone for a couple months now. And I absolutely love it. I scored it for free, and it's very accurate. Only complaint I have it how bad my phone battery is after my round.

I go off the courses yardage markers at the tee, or long par 5's that I know I stand no chance in even thinking about going for it in 2. I only use it on my approach, or distance to a hazard to decide if I wanna try and carry it or lay up. I'm one that doesn't really care how far a par 4 is when I can't reach it anyways. Only par 3's

Plus the beauty of the app is, that if somethings are missing (bunkers, doglegs, hazards) you can go to their website and edit it so the next time you play that course it's there. Plus courses are downloaded and saved if you ever go back to the same course

I want to get a scope of some sort, but my dad has a skycaddie s3 (i think?) that i use often.

Garmin S1, so simple and quick.

Any more and I can get paralysed by information that I don't need to know.

I'll second that. Super simple and fast. Get the yardage and hit the shot.

I am a GPS guy. I like knowing the yardage needed to layup. I also like knowing front/back/center. Mine also shows ridges on the greens which can really help in knowing how far you want to hit

I've tried both but I prefer the laser. I got a Bushnell 1600 and now use it exclusively. I find it's real simple to use; just point and click. Plus, for whatever reason I trust the yardages more with a laser vs. a gps, just personal preference.

I have been using golflogix on my iPhone and liked it except I'm cheap and won't pay for the upgrade because I don't feel I play enough to justify it.

Yesterday I used my bushnell I use for hunting along with my phone. I found very little discrepancy in yardage and part of it was I knew a few times getting set in on the pin was tough. I really liked the gps for blind is shot where I really had a hard time seeing the whole green. I liked my laser for finding lay up/ carry distances. Neither slowed me down a bit and I really liked having both options.

I am going to continue using both for a while and see how things go for me.

Tapatalk killing phone batteries since day 1

I'm still a bushnell guy, I tried it out and couldn't turn back, I've been able to hit close to pins now (when I make solid contact haha) lasers all the way

The more I've played around with a range finder the more I wished I got one instead of a GPS.

I'm a geek who likes both! I use the laser (Leupold GX-4) when I'm in "scoring" range and the gps the rest of the time. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose the laser...

I'm a geek who likes both! I use the laser (Leupold GX-4) when I'm in "scoring" range and the gps the rest of the time. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose the laser...

I've thought about this but besides the money its just another thing to carry around. I like to have as few things as possible on me on the golf course.

Great thread everyone. Really helped me. I have a watch GPS, which sometimes seems a little inaccurate, and Golfshot on the IPhone. However, in theory having my iPhone on in competition can get me disqualified because of weather apps etc (really, honestly!!). I also found myself spending too much time fiddling with the phone. I'm going to get a Bushnell Hybrid and will update how it goes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a Leupold G3Xi and the GolfShot app for my iPhone and have found that I prefer the rangefinder over the GPS but it is nice to have the GPS as a back up or to see if there are any hazards that I need to avoid and also to get what yardage I need with the rangefinder if I am a far way out. I also use the GolfShot to keep my score and track my stats.

Eventually went for a Bushnell v2. Figured as I already had a GPS watch, the hybrid was not going to add much for me. I have played 2 rounds with the v2 and the watch may be passed on to a friend. The v2 is easy to use, picks out bunkers, flags, whatever you need and gives a pinpoint yardage. No subscriptions, a simple battery...easy. I'm delighted with it.

Eventually went for a Bushnell v2. Figured as I already had a GPS watch, the hybrid was not going to add much for me. I have played 2 rounds with the v2 and the watch may be passed on to a friend. The v2 is easy to use, picks out bunkers, flags, whatever you need and gives a pinpoint yardage. No subscriptions, a simple battery...easy. I'm delighted with it.

Excellent choices I love my tour v2

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I have a bushnell XGC and now think I need to add a laser rangefinder, but I now I totally understand the need for both, if I didn't have a gps I'd go for the hybrid, but now I'm trying to find a GPS companion rangefinder!!!

range finder vs gps?

range finder vs gps?

If you had to choose one, which one would you choose and why? debating between the two...although i do have gps on the phone.

It depends on the course you are playing, if it's a course you're familiar with, go with the GPS, but a new course I would definitely go with the Range Finder...

Merged with a huge thread on the subject.

I'm a fan of my Callaway upro mx. Very quick and inconspicuous. I've golfed with people who spend more time looking through their range finder then actually lining up their shots.

It depends on the course you are playing, if it's a course you're familiar with, go with the GPS, but a new course I would definitely go with the Range Finder...

really, may i ask why? Doesn't the GPS give you a better understanding of the layout of the course? where as the range finder just gives a number to a certain point?

I'd go the other way around. GPS helps with an unfamiliar course because it gives you the whole layout whereas a laser does not.

THPing on Tapatalk

thanks i did check for double posting but didn't see it. relatively new here.

One of the best ways to search is on Google. Type in "the hackers paradise + whatever you're looking for".

I wonder who is actually going to type that in!

I have Bushell GPS/ Rangefinder. I like it very much. I use the GPS mostly. I use the rangefinder when I am unsure of the GPS yardage.

Back