PC Utility favorites

Defrag runs (if needed) whenever the computer is idle.....
I defrag the MFT about once a month...

OK, I was amazed that you hadn't defragged in 3 years! haha. Guess I should have read it better!

Been running Opera for a day now. Man, this browser is like LIGHTNING. I have never seen THP run so fast.

I am going to try a new antivirus program. Other than AVG, what do THPers like? I am using PCTools, but on Jacqui's laptop it won't accept the definition updates. SO that's the one I am going to run a new one on.

EDIT: I think I am going to try AVAST for now, because I gotta have something. But still looking for something else.

I've been liking AVAST, so I am in the middle of loading on my laptop and the two desktops we have. PC Tools is gone and I'm going with this one.

I've been liking AVAST, so I am in the middle of loading on my laptop and the two desktops we have. PC Tools is gone and I'm going with this one.

Avast is da shizzle.

I ran a scan on all the computers and it found some things on three of the four.

Anti Virus - AVG free
Office - OpenOffice
Browser- Google Chrome
Photo Editor - Gimp
Music - Audacity/FL Studio
Home Theater - WMP + Xbox

Desktop - I use Rainmeter to create a custom desktop. Really great program that you can edit the scripts to make it do what you want.

I really like the list of following PC utilites
SlimDrivers
MediaPortal REVIEW PIC USER
ZoneAlarm PIC USER
Internet Video Converter USER...

Virus protection??

Virus protection??

I have Windows 7 and use Norton. As most of you know, it sorta "takes over" your PC. How many of you use the anti virus/ firewall program that comes with Windows 7?

Thanks..

Nope, AVG

how_to_stop_computer_viruses.jpg

to prevent viruses hahahahahahah

Just kidding, no my university actually has sophos for us and I use Mcafee-that's just what our department IT installed

AVG free. Simple and easy.

Yup you are correct, Norton is bloatware now. It used to be great but now not so. I used AVG for a long while until it to became a bit to much too. Then moved onto AVAST and I have been using that on all of my machines with little or no problems until recently when I upgraded after my free year was up. I found in that the running processes on the PC that it was 3rd most used program and took a hell of a lot of process power just to run (around about 30,000K), so I removed it and now use Windows Security Essentials and that has dropped the processing power to around 400k, its free and so far after a month of using it its been no problem at all.

Macbook

Yes highly unlikely that you would get a virus but its possible and don't forget you are just as susceptible to malware and trojans so I would still advise you use something to prevent that.

I use Avast and it's pretty good and non-intrusive

I have always had good luck with AVG as well.

I don't see the need for third party virus protection anymore. MS Security Essentials works great with a minimal footprint

I don't see the need for third party virus protection anymore. MS Security Essentials works great with a minimal footprint

This is what I was wondering. MS installs it. I was thinking they have a bunch of intel as far as protection goes... Hmmm

I currently run no anti-virus and the reason for that is that is that I am the best defense. Virus's and spyware/malware can't get installed without the user first clicking on some random link on the internet, or opening up an e-mail attachment. Simply put, if you don't know what it is, don't click on it, and only download from trusted sources.

Another thing is when you are installing any program even if it's itunes for example, usually now as you are going through the install process clicking next, I Agree etc.... they will throw in some fabulous toolbar that you just need to have, it is not a requirement that you install these toolbars, simply uncheck the box and your computing experience will be much nicer.

That being said, as there are quite frequently cookies that get stored I'll use Spybot S&D to clear that stuff out, as well the program "Hijack This" for more advanced removal.

I run Avast because it doesn't take up much space at all and you hardly know it's running. I also have Advanced System Care (free edition) and CC Cleaner that I use to get rid of cookies and stuff like that.

+1.. couldn't agree more.

Norton Security.............. For some reason, it won't uninstall. I have tried dumping Norton via the program bar and the control panel program uninstall. Any ideas?

Norton Security.............. For some reason, it won't uninstall. I have tried dumping Norton via the program bar and the control panel program uninstall. Any ideas?

Get on the Norton website and search for their removal tool. It's the only way to get it off without a full computer wipe.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Back