Tee shot: Where is it going to go?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I don't ask make many posts in the Ask The Pro section, but I have a problem that I need some advice on before it turns into a full blown issue (One more round and it's an issue!)

Andy:

Yesterday I played a round and had a problem off the tee. I had no clue where my tee shot was going to go. This is a new problem that started yesterday and continued today that needs to stop before I wrap a driver around the cart!

I normally have a slight fade on my tee shots, so I aim down the left side of the fairway, standing on the right side of the tee box. If I hit it straight, it's usually playable, just in the rough or in the far left side of the fairway. If I fade it as played, I am sitting in the middle somewhere, and if I slice it, I might be just off the fairway in the rough. That's great, and I played this way all last year and this year, up until yesterday.

Yesterday I set up for my normal fade and pulled it 30° left, straight into the driving range. Next hole, thinking it was just a one-time thing, I set up for my fade and hit it 45° straight left. Great, this is starting to turn into a problem. But I’ll work on it later; I just set it up 30° right on the next hole and hit a fade. Jeeeze, this is getting annoying. The rest of the round, I guessed right a couple of times, always when I set it up way right and pulled it straight down the center. The thing is, when I am aiming left to bring it back in, my stance is wide open and my clubface is wide open. I still hit it left. Also, when I am to the right, thinking I am going to pull it back left, I also have my clubface wide open. If I square it up, I slice/fade the shot.

I hit the range before my round today and was striping them straight down the middle. First tee, set up to hit it down the middle, hit it straight left, again, into the carp on the left and taking another penalty. Used my hybrid off the tee until the back nine, when I put a hybrid tee shot into the tall grass straight left, decided that I could do that bad with my driver, then proceeded to start hitting drives straight down the middle. Problem is, I was aiming at least 30 to 45 degrees right of center. I wasn't drawing them back in; I was hitting them straight down the fairway.

The straight left shots look nice and go a long way. But a long way into the woods or waist high grass is not helping my score! Even the ones that go right don't look THAT bad, they are just going way into trouble. I did notice today that I was chicken-winging a few swings. I tried to make sure I was keeping my left elbow close to my boday after that. It helped with my other shots, but my drives I still had the issue with. I might also be too fast turning my hips and maybe that's leading to my hitting shots left. We have one lesson left over from last year that I plan on taking before my next round. Is there anything you might suggest, or is this something you need to see? My teacher will be able to help when I see him again. I just need to call him and meet with him.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on this!

(I actually looked back and this started rearing its ugly head on Monday, but not as bad and extreme.)

EDIT: We have a lesson tomorrow afternoon, but I'd still love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
Smalls for a player like you to have this just jump up and bite you it will be something small. The first thing I would look at is your ball position. If you are hitting pulls the ball is getting too far forward in your stance. Push is too far back in your stance. Always start there. It doesn't take much but 1" with a small timing issue means 15-20 yards off line. Next put some clubs down and double check your aim and alignment. If a person opens their stance to force a fade and the ball is too far forward you are now aiming 20 yards left to start. At the range set up square (use a couple of clubs on the ground for a guide). Now experiment with ball position. Start with it on your left heal and move it from there. I know it sounds simple but for an experienced player like you it is the little things that jump up and bite you. Let me know how this works. And I am curious what you and your coach find out.

Thanks Andy. I'll let you know.

Went to the range today. I cancelled the lesson because I wanted to try this first and maybe save the lesson for something else. So I lay down a club where I line my feet up. I lay a club perpendicular to that, where I am going to put my left foot on one side and the ball at the far end.

First hit: pretty much down the middle, a little left. So I do it again until I start hitting it straight (about 4 or 5 shots, none really bad). So then I put my left foot on the other side of the perpendicular shaft, and the ball in the same place, so the ball is one width of my foot ahead of where it should be. Hmmmm, I hit it left. Fairly close to what I had been doing, about 30° or so off center. Then I move my foot back on the other side of the shaft and hit a few more. Pretty much down the middle. Slight fade on most, but several right down the middle.

Now I move my foot one foot width to the left, leaving the ball in the same place. No surprise now, it's going way right. I did figure out that about halfway between there and where it is supposed to be (about one-half of the width of my foot) is where I get my normal fade that I had all last year and up to this past Monday. So I think you did a great job diagnosing what the problem was Andy. I just have to make myself, when I think I have the correct ball position, to move forward about three inches. I can't believe I was that far off, and it got that far off so fast.

I will have to make a lineup apparatus to take to the range. I think we should be allowed to take them on the course too! hehe

Last edited:
Great that you got results that fast Small, amazing what small adjustments can do, also amazing what Andy can do, I would love to have one hour with him, I might then be able to be respectable in this game. If only I weren`t 20+ hours away!!!!

Smalls that is great to hear. I had faith that you would get this worked out. Save the lessons for when you want to work something big out. Just remember that 90% of how a shot is going to come out is taken care of before you pull the trigger. Take the extra time and make sure everything is how you want it before you swing. You will be happy with what you get. Nicely done Smalls!

Glad to hear you got it figured out Smalls, great job diagnosing the problem Andy

The big test will be my next time out on the course. If you remember MO, I was hitting my drives fairly straight on the range before we played on Thursday. But I wasn't using clubs for alignment. But now that I know what to look for, part of the battle is over. I may have to play a practice round with the alignment guide for my tee shots whenever I make or buy one.

Smalls let me know how you do on the course. Take your time and make sure everything is right before you swing and YOU will hit more fairways!

Played today, hit 11 of 14 fairways. Thanks Andy!

(I yanked two waaaaay left, one just missed left into first cut).

Happy to hear it smalls! Those are very good numbers!

Back