Golf Balls 2 piece vs. 3 piece

dazu44

Reaction score
Handicap
My foursome went out the other day and the discussion of 2 piece vs. 3 piece balls came up. Tommy thought that a golf ball is a golf ball, the difference between the two and three piece for an mid to high handicaaper is point less, play the two piece because you can't feel the difference. And the 2 piece will go further. So I played a Maxfli 2 piece Revolution vs. my Nike TourD I found no difference in distance.
And I thought why? Haven't we been told that a 2 piece flies further than a 3 piece, that was my understanding. But I must admit I could probably play the Maxfli and save some money, but around the green there was some difference, the Nike did feel better.
So is a 2 piece suppose to go further than the 3 piece, or does it depend on the golfer, or the ball?

Actually that is not always the case dazu. In fact if you catch it square and are capable of compressing the softer multilayer balls, then the 3 piece could fly further. HOWEVER it is my belief that many mid-high handicap players suffer from playing multi layer balls because of the adverse affects that they could have on other parts of the game.

Experts say to pick your ball starting at the green and greenside and work your way backwards. However many suffer with keeping the ball straight off the tee. By playing a less spinny ball, side spin off the tee could be greatly reduced and could impact distance as well as scoring.

This is why I preach getting fitted for a golf ball just like you would for irons or other clubs. Yet time and time again we see people playing a ball because it is popular, ego, or thoughts. More people would benefit by the right golf ball than they would the right driver.

2 vs. 3 piece

2 vs. 3 piece

Very true JB, great points I like that ball advice, start from green back, but people are still impressed with distance.
Who said "the woods are full of long drivers".
It's so true.
Joe

A few months ago, I was in need of some golf balls, and was out of town. I found a cheap 3 piece ball by TopFlite called a "Gamer". I paid like $19 for a dozen. I was some what happily surprised how well this ball played for me. Not saying it is going to replace my regular game balls, but I would not hesitate to play them again if needed. Actually I don't have one favorite, go to ball I use. I got tired of learning to like one type/brand of ball, then have it disappear from that manufacturer's product line a few months later. However, with this "Gamer" ball, you can buy a quality 3 piece ball for a 2 piece price.:comp:

No question that the Gamer works well Prov. There are quite a few 3 piece balls in that same price range that work really well that we hope some people get a chance to try out.

I purchased a sleeve of the Gamers not a bad ball for the money, just not sure that I would buy a dozen. They're just not the ball for me but I agree for a three piece ball the price is right.

2 vs.3 piece ball

2 vs.3 piece ball

The Nike Ignite I thought was a great ball, and now I believe it was replaced by the Nike TourD or so I was told. But it does play nice and of course the Ignite was at a better price than the TourD.

The Tour D was actually a replacement for the One Black. The Ignite IIRC was replaced by the Vapor.

Yes, the Ignite was replaced by the Vapor. It's similar in play and feel to the Bridgestone E6+, Titleist NXT Tour and Callaway HX Hot.

I currently play the Ignite, but was fitted by Brigestone to the TreoSoft, which is a 2 piece ball. I like the TreoSoft pretty good, I'll go back to them, or the E6+ once I finish up the Ignite's in my bag (still a couple of dozen left)

GB,
Isnt the HX Hot a 2 piece and the Hot Bite the 3 piece? I may be wrong, but that is what I thought it was.

GB,
Isnt the HX Hot a 2 piece and the Hot Bite the 3 piece? I may be wrong, but that is what I thought it was.

The HX Hot is a 2 piece ball. The Hot Bite is the 3 piece.

That is the Hot Plus GB. The regular Hot I am pretty sure is 2 piece.

There is a HX Hot Plus which is a 3 piece and the HX hot which is a 2 piece ball.

Actually we are all right it seems. The Callaway HX Hot was indeed a two piece ball that was pulled from the shelves for the Hot Plus which is a 3 piece. Some HX Hots are still in the shelves and are 3 piece balls.

According to Callaway email anyway.

New-Callaway-HX-Hot.jpg

Back