Let the USGA, R and A and the RCGA know our feelings re Anchoring putter ruling

Proffire

Reaction score
Handicap
If all of us that are not happy about the proposed anchored putter ruling let our associations know by not renewing next year they may listen to us.:at-wits-end: If they consider the lost revenue from passed off golfers they may reconsider.

Nice thought but the only thing they will reconsider is if they should implement the new rule sooner than originally planned.

And if I agree with the rule should I pay double my USGA dues?

I think you shouldn't be able to anchor the club to your body, it make the stroke easier and it's just an advantage over the free flowing stroke with the conventional/short putter. You paying your dues or not will not change the rule, so if you like golf you will adapt and move on. The rule is for the better of the game, if you want the game to have the long term future you will put your opinion to the side and get on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intersting thought. I'm not sure you will accomplish anything by doing so. I think you will get more of a response from the members here at the check in desk than you would from a non renewal of you dues from the RCGA. just my 0.02

I would like to think the USGA would not make decisions based on membership dues........

Intersting thought. I'm not sure you will accomplish anything by doing so. I think you will get more of a response from the members here at the check in desk than you would from a non renewal of you dues from the RCGA. just my 0.02

I agree with this thought, although I appreciate your efforts. Each group makes very little (relatively speraking) on dues compared to what it makes on its big events.

I think that you are correct and it should be allowed. Just MO though. Maybe they will reverse their ruling. I don't see it happening though.

The majority of golfers who now use anchoring and are still playing golf 4 years from now will still be anchoring. Just like folks who spend 10 minutes looking for a lost Prov golf ball or play oob and lost balls like a lateral water hazard. Frankly the only people I see follow the rules of golf are those in some kind of tournement play and then not all the time.

For those who do follow the rules you have at least 3 years to figure out how to putt without anchoring and I'm sure the magazines, forums and instructors will all have tips on the best way to do so. Pick one try it, repeat till you find one that
works for you.

Realisticly 2017 Sunday on any given muni in any given town or city do you really expect to see golfers who anchored before not anchoring. It seems if you don't agree with a rule in the Rules of Golf it's standard to ignore it and play anyway.

Could have been worse, could have banned the long putters.

The majority of golfers who now use anchoring and are still playing golf 4 years from now will still be anchoring. Just like folks who spend 10 minutes looking for a lost Prov golf ball or play oob and lost balls like a lateral water hazard. Frankly the only people I see follow the rules of golf are those in some kind of tournement play and then not all the time.

For those who do follow the rules you have at least 3 years to figure out how to putt without anchoring and I'm sure the magazines, forums and instructors will all have tips on the best way to do so. Pick one try it, repeat till you find one that
works for you.

Realisticly 2017 Sunday on any given muni in any given town or city do you really expect to see golfers who anchored before not anchoring. It seems if you don't agree with a rule in the Rules of Golf it's standard to ignore it and play anyway.

Could have been worse, could have banned the long putters.

while it is certainly possible to use them without anchoring, I don't see long putters sticking around if they can't be used the way they are intended to be used.
Pthe arm lock method could get very popular now though.

I think you shouldn't be able to anchor the club to your body, it make the stroke easier and it's just an advantage over the free flowing stroke with the conventional/short putter. You paying your dues or not will not change the rule, so if you like golf you will adapt and move on. The rule is for the better of the game, if you want the game to have the long term future you will put your opinion to the side and get on with it.

I think you shouldn't be able to use game improvement irons because it makes solid contact with the ball much easier.

I think you shouldn't be able to use a 460cc driver or graphite shafts because it gives a person added distance not attributable to improvements in your swing.

I think that you shouldn't be able to use golf balls that promote holding on the green, straighter shots, and improved distance not attributable to improvements in your swing.

Of course, I believe none of those things, but to me, it shows the hypocrisy and arbitrariness of the USGA. I do agree that no amount of protest will change their minds on this matter. I don't believe it's an advantage to use a long putter... after all if it was so much of an advantage, everyone would be using one.

For the game to have a long term future, it has to be inclusive and accepting of new and better methods. The long putter is no different than any of the innovations I have mentioned above.

I think you shouldn't be able to use game improvement irons because it makes solid contact with the ball much easier.

I think you shouldn't be able to use a 460cc driver or graphite shafts because it gives a person added distance not attributable to improvements in your swing.

I think that you shouldn't be able to use golf balls that promote holding on the green, straighter shots, and improved distance not attributable to improvements in your swing.

Of course, I believe none of those things, but to me, it shows the hypocrisy and arbitrariness of the USGA. I do agree that no amount of protest will change their minds on this matter. I don't believe it's an advantage to use a long putter... after all if it was so much of an advantage, everyone would be using one.

For the game to have a long term future, it has to be inclusive and accepting of new and better methods. The long putter is no different than any of the innovations I have mentioned above.

But it is different. Those innovations mentioned are equipment improvements. Not a change in how the equipment is used. You still have to swing that 460cc driver the same way they swung persimmon drivers. The equipment is more advanced but the essential skill needed to use it is the same. With the long putters, the technique used is different than with standard putters. Its not the equipment that is being banned, it is the way it is being used. This should have happened decades ago when they first showed up but neither golf ruling bodies have ever been described as visionary.

You can look at it from any angle you want to, size of the clubs, shafts and all of the above, however if they put in the rule they are not going to go back on what they proposed. I don't mind people using whatever they want to even after the probation period expires, I would never call them a cheater, I was just saying its easier to adjust then fight the fight you can't win.

I personally don't care about the new rule, I'm over it. I don't agree with underlying philosophies behind the USGA and R&A rule changes to begin with.....nonetheless, I think the only way the USGA and R&A will back down is if some other major golf organization stands up to them, particularly the European Tour and the PGA.

~Rock

I have no problems with the new rule.

quite frankly there are too many rediculous rules in golf to begin with. To your average weekender who just wants to be able to strike good balls through 18 holes on a beautiful Sat or Sun morning alot of the rules would seem rediculous. And that is most golfers on the planet.

When ya really think about it, there are rules that are there for the pro's and then there are the rest of us. While i think most try to be as honest to the rules as possible, they certainly are varried when it comes to the millions of weekend golfers of all skill levels. Hey, technically one can argue that - isnt teeing off from the whites in a way cheating? After all it is at very least a varry from the rules that pro's follow.

as far the putter thing goes I always found that strange. I could certainly understand how some would see it as not fair and how some would say its like cheating but you still giot to line it up, adjust speed and still hit it properly so i dont really know whats right or wrong.

As far as comparing it to other clubs that make the game easier like cavity back irons. There is a reason that many do not use cavity back irons and that is usually because they can have precise feedback and shape shots better with blades. So while they make the game a bit easier for most of us they also have a disadvantage for the best players in the game. So they are not actually an unfair advantage at that level of golf..

Back