provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
I see where in 2015 the USGA might change the par number during their US Open Tournament. It might be 70, it might be 71, or it could be both during the 4 day major tournament. They are throwing around the idea of playing the same hole as a par 5 one day, par 4 the next day, then a 5, and then a 4. during the 4 days. I have never put much stock in the par number assigned to a golf course. Bottom line is you try to get around the course in the least amount of strokes, regardless of what the par number might be. I suppose if I were to be put in charge, had to make a decision, all golf courses would be par 72s. No 70s or 71s. To me the slope/rating is more important for handicap reasons, which in turn relates to what ever the par number is per hole. I have my own custom score card I use when golfing, that tells me where I need to improve on my golf game when things start falling a par. No where on my card is a par number, but I do write down the slope/rating numbers. I know a par 3 when I see it, and as far as the 4s, and 5s, are concerned I am just looking at the least amount strokes to cover the distance, and hole out.

How important is that "Par Number" to you?

I definitely prefer it to be 72...but it wouldn't matter that much I suoppose.

I don't think par is all that important. When someone tells me they shot a 75, I would really rather they say they were 3 over or 5 over for the day since they could be playing a par 72 or par 70 course. I agree that it is just a number, it takes the number of strokes it takes. I feel the same way about the hole by hole handicap rating. A particular hole may be the #1 handicap hole, but if it fits my eye and my game, it could be the 18th handicap hole for me.... Who cares anyway. A 4 counts 4 strokes if it is on a par 5 or par 3....

I don't think par is all that important. When someone tells me they shot a 75, I would really rather they say they were 3 over or 5 over for the day since they could be playing a par 72 or par 70 course. I agree that it is just a number, it takes the number of strokes it takes. I feel the same way about the hole by hole handicap rating. A particular hole may be the #1 handicap hole, but if it fits my eye and my game, it could be the 18th handicap hole for me.... Who cares anyway. A 4 counts 4 strokes if it is on a par 5 or par 3....

Or maybe they only played 16 holes.....hehe:banana::confused2:

Or maybe they only played 16 holes.....hehe:banana::confused2:

I always said I could shoot par but I didn't want to quit after 12 holes!:D

I prefer courses to have four par threes, four par fives and ten par fours.

Par doesn't mean a lot to me other than a target to try to reach. I'd probably be happier if they outlawed Par 3's that were longer than 180 yards though, it's always a recipe for at least a bogey. :beat-up:

I don't like real long par threes either. At least two should be in the 140-160 yard range for me.

Back