Which Option Would You Take?

Putts for sure. Your chances of holing a putt from that distance are thin. Dropping strokes via dropping putts would do more for me than yards off the tee.

I would take the putts and run before whoever was dolling out these gifts changed their mind.

Putts for sure; can make up the drive with one more club on the next shot... putting is what drops the scores.

I'm taking the putts every single time. Putting is definitely not my specialty, so that's one reason. Just because I'm 15 yards closer off the tee doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to make a better score on the hole. While I really want length off the tee, if it was between these two decisions, I'm taking the putts.

I did the experiment that I posted with my response. What I learned is that it's the short game (wedges and putting) where good scores are made. Everyone should try it, imho!!!

This is from Terry Koehler's article...
"But just for fun, you should see what 15 more yards would really do for your scores . . . if that was even “for sale” out there in the marketplace. The next time you play a recreational round, after each drive, pick up your ball and walk it 15 yards further down the line it was traveling when it came to rest. Whether it was headed straight down the fairway, or towards the OB stakes, water or bunker . . . 15 more yards, OK?
My bet is that it would not change your scores even one stroke for the better. But I’d sure like to hear what you guys find out with this little experiment."

In that case, I would probably lose strokes. If my ball is not in trouble, it is usually headed toward trouble when it comes to rest.

A lot of people seem to be taking the putts. I can see the logic. Automatic lower scores.... But as a mid/high handicapper, shooting a 93 compared to a 95? Who cares really. The extra 15 yards would be put me in a better position on 14-15 holes a round. If I play a long course, a 220 drive makes it pretty tough to score well. I feel good about my long irons but I fell much better about my mids....

A lot of people seem to be taking the putts. I can see the logic. Automatic lower scores.... But as a mid/high handicapper, shooting a 93 compared to a 95? Who cares really. The extra 15 yards would be put me in a better position on 14-15 holes a round. If I play a long course, a 220 drive makes it pretty tough to score well. I feel good about my long irons but I fell much better about my mids....

This is my opinion too. And I have said a couple of times that people shooting in the 70s would benefit a lot more from two automatic putts than we would. Some seem to think everyone is playing the same game, when in fact, we are playing a completely different game.

2 putts from 10-15! That would save me like 4-5 strokes!

For me it would depend on the course you were playing, on my home course I would take the 2 putts every time because I rarely have anything longer than a 7 iron. On some of the longer courses I would take the 15 yards.

This is my opinion too. we are playing a completely different game.

Exactly! If I was hitting a ton of gir, I might take the putts but the fact that I am a short driver of the ball I can NOT give up that yardage. I am much more accurate with a 6 iron than a 4 iron.

I would think that anybody under a 10 or so handicap would really benefit from the putts. Anyone over 'might' be better off with the distance.

That's an easy one, take the puts. You don't need tone long off the tee to score. You have to put it in the hole. Drive for show , put for dough!

Definitely the putts... 15 yds more left or right arent going to do me any good!

This is my opinion too. And I have said a couple of times that people shooting in the 70s would benefit a lot more from two automatic putts than we would. Some seem to think everyone is playing the same game, when in fact, we are playing a completely different game.

That could take us back to the discusion of playing the appropriate tees that comes up quite often though.

my putting is my best part of my game, driving distance is not. I'll take the distance on 15 holes any day

I'll go with putts... they always screw me out of good holes!

the putts, hands down!

I like the question. I initially thought putts. But every drive 15 yards can lead to better chances at the pin and potentially more birdies... Through thp, I have learned to keep track of fairway hits, gir, and putting; which all improve my score. Better drive leads me to have better chance at gir, and good second shot leads to birdie putts.

Back