oakley trying to sue McIlroy

I'm sure Nike will pay whatever they need to, so technically it would be a win for Oakley. I would be doing the same thing if I were Oakley. You have one of the greatest players in the world right now that is wearing your gear and winning tournaments. They put that stipulation in the contract for a reason, they wanted to make sure they had the chance to match an offer and keep him. Nike has enough money to pay out to Oakley whatever they need to, but I would still be mad if I were Oakley because my biggest player is switching to another brand without honoring his contractual obligation to let me match an offer. Maybe for the next year something could have been worked out for Rory to game Nike equipment and even have their logo on the front of his hat while he still wore Oakley clothing. Then at the end of 2013 he would switch to all Nike apparel.

Oakley should try to keep Rory wearing their sunglasses at least. That way they can hitch a "free" ride with all the marketing Nike is going to do with Rory.

Oakley should try to keep Rory wearing their sunglasses at least. That way they can hitch a "free" ride with all the marketing Nike is going to do with Rory.

I'm not sure Nike would let that happen really. All their other golfers are only spotted in Nike sunglasses, along with how Rory has handled the situation, I just can't see Oakley sticking it out.

Can someone explain to me the contract breach here? If Rory's contract is up and Oakley didn't match the offer, how is that reason for lawsuit? I don't think I understand it fully.

Can someone explain to me the contract breach here? If Rory's contract is up and Oakley didn't match the offer, how is that reason for lawsuit? I don't think I understand it fully.

I believe it was that Oakley was never informed of the proposed new contract from another company before Rory signed.

Simply cash transfer from Nike to Oakley. Happy happy happy. Nothing major here.

Back