Does Tiger Have a Major Mental Block?

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
Not to say he won't win this Open but today was lackluster and his swing just didn't look very Tigeresque. Let's see, there was the Masters then he won then the US Open and then he won again. Now it's The Open and he just doesn't seem quite put together. I wonder if he's using the Majors as true validation that indeed he's totally back from surgery and rehab. OK, he won twice but something tells me he won't be completed until he wins his first post surgery Major. Think he's just trying too hard?

I'm sure he'll go really low tomorrow and make me look like an idiot......and I hope he does.

What are your impressions?

It's golf, even for the best players in the world, sometimes it is a struggle

It's golf, even for the best players in the world, sometimes it is a struggle

But he's consistently struggling in the majors. There was zero wind today which is normally his nemesis. The course was there for him to devour but it appears he wasn't hungry.

I don't follow Tiger the way you do, but is it possible that he's still recovering and mentally, he wants the majors more so it puts added strain on him?

Thats why they play the game!

But he's consistently struggling in the majors. There was zero wind today which is normally his nemesis. The course was there for him to devour but it appears he wasn't hungry.

Struggling in the Majors?? He has won 14 of them!!:D Sure he wasn't as sharp out there today and that is why tournaments are 4 rounds.

He tied for sixth in each of the first two majors this year. Yeah he does suck.

While certainly not "Tigeresque", the fact that he is "struggling" yet continues to get top tens should tell you that he's not that far off.

I think it's more that people expect him to win every time out and can't fathom the idea of him having a crappy round. It happens, and he won't win every time out.

However he plays, you can be sure he will be with in striking distance on Sunday. I am so much more happy for Tom Watson's great round, than I am disappointed in Tiger's poor round. Tiger is never really out of any tournament he plays in. Tiger can still win this event while not having his "A" game. Watson is a favorite of mine, and if he were to pull off a win and tie Vardon at 6, that would be something pretty darn nice. :clapp:

I think he's on the way down the backside of the hill and the surgery was the last straw. He's been playing since he could walk so in golf terms his body is really about 43.

Seriously though, he just had a bad day. I didn't figure him to win this one(though he still might, but I doubt it... especially if the weather takes a nasty turn). I think he'll break through at Hazeltine.

I don't follow Tiger the way you do, but is it possible that he's still recovering and mentally, he wants the majors more so it puts added strain on him?

Yeah, that was my exact point above. In using the majors as validation for his return he does put excess pressure on himself.

Yeah, that was my exact point above. In using the majors as validation for his return he does put excess pressure on himself.

Yes, but I still think he can win. I don't think you can really say anything after one day of play with Tiger.

Yes, but I still think he can win. I don't think you can really say anything after one day of play with Tiger.

I was careful to say that above. He's proven me wrong too many times. This is just a theory of mine....we'll see how it plays out this weekend and in the PGA.

.....like I said.......

.....like I said.......

Who am I to tell Tiger how to play?.....but I think that possibly Tiger is THINKING TOO MUCH. Maybe it relates to the injury, but he just doesn't look like he's having a lot of fun playing golf. Seems like he's afraid to make a mistake. Maybe its oversimplistic but I think he need to "borrow a little of Anthony Kim's spirit" and have fun. My Humble Opinion anyway. Will

Mid career slump. He will have another spurt like Jack after the kids get older. His time to live life a little.

He's toast today ... pity ...

Spoiler
:banana:

Tiger on cell phone (to Net Jet Pilot): "Fire her up. I'll be there in an hour or so.....":beat-up:

I might have spoken too soon ...

......all clear for takeoff. See ya! :wavey:

What a huge disapointment. But the upside is that it frees up a whole block of time for me over the weekend. Time I need to work on my own game and not freak out over Tiger's every miscue. (I'm getting sorta tired of my own bodily contortions and verbal expicatives after evey shot he makes.) R.I.P. Tiger. There's always the PGA. "Glory's last shot."

Will enjoy the rest of The Open now that erkle and his entourage have gone. :alien2:

a tiger less British Open weekend. What a dream come true. Go home and cry in your wheaties.

Will enjoy the rest of The Open now that erkle and his entourage have gone. :alien2:

Why don't you just answer the question about why you hate the most prolific golfer in history? Instead of just casting aspersions from the sidelines. Come on Mr. Kenobe, state your prejudices.

Back