Freakonomics Golf Experience

i went to the one in chicago. no luke donald there.
i did win an autographed glove from luke donald.

i also got autographed copy of freakonomics 2 from the authors. and i shook pat goss' hand.

i know a lot of attendees were expecting luke donald in chicago. i don't think they specifically promised he would be there in the emails about the chicago event, just that he was involved and would provide some schwag.
it seems like they are promising he will be there in FL but i don't know how much face time will be guaranteed

i went to the one in chicago. no luke donald there.

What happened at the one in Chicago? Meaning, what were the activities like?

it seems like they are promising he will be there in FL but i don't know how much face time will be guaranteed

I'm not expecting anything more than a short meet-and-greet session. If we get more than that, I'll be thrilled, but if not, no big deal.

I'm not expecting anything more than a short meet-and-greet session. If we get more than that, I'll be thrilled, but if not, no big deal.

My thoughts exactly. I'm looking at this as 54 holes and some practice in (hopefully) 75-80 degree weather. Any instruction, tips, swag or time spent with Luuuuuke or Coach Goss is just bonus.

My thoughts exactly. I'm looking at this as 54 holes and some practice in (hopefully) 75-80 degree weather. Any instruction, tips, swag or time spent with Luuuuuke or Coach Goss is just bonus.

Agreed mis...This actually comes at a great time for me as I have my annual "buddies" golf invitational at Innisbrook Feb 7th-11. Again, I have no idea what to expect but I know the Freakonomics guys once wrote about course length being the biggest issue in golf so perhaps they will have us play staggered tees, assess time/score/frustration level etc? who knows...I'm just too excited not to assume things at this point.

On another note, how many people do you think were invited? Like 30? or more like 130?

On another note, how many people do you think were invited? Like 30? or more like 130?

I have a hunch it's more like 50. From what I was told, the authors had volunteers tracking everything from club selection to distance to ball flight to weather when they gathered PGA TOUR data. So that leads me to believe that there must be some element of data collection for this Florida experience. Thus, they will need data collectors. So I'm thinking one data collector for each threesome with a shotgun start on 18 holes (54 total). Why threesomes? Because the application said they preferred groups of three...and one of the organizers expressed regret for the third member of our group not getting in because, as she said, "it's more fun to play golf with your friends."

I have a hunch it's more like 50. From what I was told, the authors had volunteers tracking everything from club selection to distance to ball flight to weather when they gathered PGA TOUR data. So that leads me to believe that there must be some element of data collection for this Florida experience. Thus, they will need data collectors. So I'm thinking one data collector for each threesome with a shotgun start on 18 holes (54 total). Why threesomes? Because the application said they preferred groups of three...and one of the organizers expressed regret for the third member of our group not getting in because, as she said, "it's more fun to play golf with your friends."

That makes sense Migs...Do you think they will have us with roomates in the hotel or solo?

Solo. They confirmed two hotel rooms for my buddy and I, even though they know we're traveling together and are good friends. And comping us three meals a day is pretty sweet too.

Just got an email that I'm on the waiting list. I'm sure it's because I'm 3 hours away. So please one of you guys bail so I can go.

Thanks! Haha congrats guys and enjoy.

Just got an email that I'm on the waiting list. I'm sure it's because I'm 3 hours away. So please one of you guys bail so I can go.

Thanks! Haha congrats guys and enjoy.

Hey Migs..I've yet to get the hotel confirmation email when did it arrive? I got the confirmation from Erin Robertson for my flights and all.

I didn't get the formal hotel info yet. She just said that she was reserving two rooms for us.

I really need to stop reading this thread. I keep thinking about how great of an experience this will be and am bummed that I didn't make the cut.

Congrats atpope! Looking forward to meeting you at PGA Village. Out of curiosity, when did you get your invite? Today?

26/male from Orlando (though I'm a lifelong Chicagoan). Usually shoot around 85-89. I'll be there, solo. Looking forward to it.

Just got my notification that I'm in. I'll also be there solo but can't pass up this opportunity.

Congrats hibore and gator!

Sooooooooooooooooooooo...anyone excited yet?

Can't wait. My wife thinks I'm crazy but what an opportunity.

Just hope I don't make a fool of myself.

My wife as well RPB...she understands that I'm not passing this one up..no way no how...I am still wondering how this is gonna be set up...and Amen to not making a fool of myself as well!

Great books indeed - and fascinated by what they will come up with after this. Not sure I have the time though...damn work!

this documentary was on Showtime yesterday and i couldn't pass it up, even though i've already seen it.
they take about 5 or 6 chapters from the 1st book and showcase them in the movie.
a must see for fans of the books.

Back