ODSTBRIGADIER

Reaction score
Handicap
Mid-High
I am looking for new irons. I tried the Taylormade Tour Preferred and i really liked them. Should i get the us tour preferred or the japanese 09 forged TP irons (that are more expensive and not nearly as convenient-but would they be better?)?

Taylormade Japan 2009 TP Forged Irons

The shafts i currently use in my irons are fujikura gold reg flex. 78 gram. I think i want steel reg flex shafts that weigh around 100 grams (no more than 110) but what are ads/dis to steel/graphite? My driver swing speed is 88-90 mph. Thanks for your input!

To answer your question NO. Them being forged has nothing to do with quality. It has to do with the fact that as a whole Japanese consumers will not buy anything unless marketed as forged.

TM knows the exact truth that forged vs cast means nothing at all.

So they're (the JAP TPs) not that much (if at all) better? ARE THE US TPs a good choice? Any ideas on shafts?

I like the TP irons quite a bit. However I tell people all the time, try out as many sets as you can. They are a "players" iron and if you are okay hitting GI irons (looks wise) the added forgiveness will be amazing.

I like a good feel and a clean look at address. The added feedback will help make me a better golfer in the long run. Goin' to Edwin Watts tomorrow, hopefully i'll get a new set and find some good shafts!

If you have a chance and they have them, I urge you to try the Nickent 4DX Pros side by side against any club there. Clean looking, thin topline and the softest non blade irons on the market.

Do they provide some feedback?

Absolutely. In fact more than the TM preferred clubs due to thinner top lines and soles.

Personally, I wouldn't ever buy a club that I hadn't hit. Between personal preferences and differences between manufacturers individual lines, there is too much opportunity to end up with something that you don't like or doesn't work for you.

Here is a list of the demo day finders posted on the manufacturer's websites:
How to Find a Demo Day Near You - The Hackers Paradise

I have already hit the Tour Preferred irons as well as the x22 tour which i both liked. I might also try the cg7 tours and the 4dx pros. I will launch monitor test them and if they are significantly better than the irons i have now i will find the right shaft and buy the set!

mid-high handicap and you want to hit blades? have you hit them during a round yet?

not doubting your judgement...just making sure you know what you're getting into

Yeah, probably sounds stupid doesn't it... I usually strike my irons consistently though. Im not really sure what my handicap is, so that is a guess.

Not one iron in his list is a blade iron.

They are blade-like gi irons. hybrids if you will. hehe

Players cavity backs are a blend that most PGA tour players use now.

forged...thats what i meant i guess...if youare set on forged make sure to try the 08 Xforged & new adams forged

they are very good! just messing with them today :D

Im not set on forged. The x22ts,tps,cg7ts, aren't forged. BTW, are the mizuno mp 57s a good iron?

Forged is a process in how they are made and most of those are not forged either.

They are a good iron.

Those are the Japan issue version. The version he is talking about hitting are the US version that are cast.

I like how the MP52's feel better than the 57's, but that's just me.

I also really like hitting the Titleist AP2, it's super smooth.

The Hogan Apex irons also feel fantastic, I strongly considered a set of the Apex Edge irons at one point.

I play PING S57's, which are amazingly forgiving for a players iron, and feel great, while still allowing me to be able to work the ball (I'm slowly learning to do that)

Back