The Grammar & Usage Thread

fail-owned-educational-software-fail.jpg

I am pretty bad when it comes to grammar, and usage. I tend skip words when I am typing my thoughts. I had a lady who took care of all these issues when I was working. Made me look real good. Not only that, she practically ran the company for me. She was very well compensated for her work ethics.:clapp:

I am pretty bad when it comes to grammar, and usage. I tend skip words when I am typing my thoughts. I had a lady who took care of all these issues when I was working. Made me look real good. Not only that, she practically ran the company for me. She was very well compensated for her work ethics.:clapp:

Ethic.

Hmmm...I'm starting to think he's smarter than he lets on...or that was one conveniently word!

I debated whether it was deliberate or not as well, then decided it was too obvious. Either way - it made me laugh.

Smallie has the funniest typo today though. He said he "cancedes".

I debated whether it was deliberate or not as well, then decided it was too obvious. Either way - it made me laugh.

Diane,

I'm only doing this because I love you. The period goes inside the quote marks. The only punctuation that goes outside quote marks is question marks and exclamation points that aren't part of the quoted material.

Spoiler
Sorry 'bout that.

The funniest as of late was Bogeyme. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bogeyman to death, but he called someone a "pee-on." As I think about it, though, it's very descriptive; I think I might like it better than peon!

Diane,

I'm only doing this because I love you. The period goes inside the quote marks. The only punctuation that goes outside quote marks is question marks and exclamation points that aren't part of the quoted material.

Spoiler
Sorry 'bout that.

I know it does and I always forget that. Thank you for the reminder. See what goes around comes around. Shame on me for mocking Smallie.

I know it does and I always forget that. Thank you for the reminder. See what goes around comes around. Shame on me for mocking Smallie.

Not at all-mocking Smallie is always a good thing.

How the heck did I do that? the "a" is so far away from the "o"!

When I was a grad student we used to get our jollies trying to spot the grammer and usage errors in the standard grammar and usage texts.

Nice to know my reputation proceeds me. Or at least catches up to me pretty darn quickly. :giggle:

Your reputation does what? :confused2:

Things I find annoying are people saying would of, could of and should of. It's would HAVE or if you're constricting it it's would've. I swear these people only ever hear things and never read them.

The other weird one that you Americans do is the word "practise". Advise is a verb. Advice is a noun. Practise is a verb. Practice is a noun. I practise my golf swing on the practice ground. I have practice after school, where I will be practising. :arrogant:

For other language differences, search youtube for "eddie izzard being bilingual". It's a little rude, but hilarious.

BAM! Holy cow, how did I miss that one? He got you, Claire! :giggle:

Things I find annoying are people saying would of, could of and should of. It's would HAVE or if you're constricting it it's would've. I swear these people only ever hear things and never read them.
Completely and wholly agree! How about "couldn't've"?

And, while we're at it, "I have had..."

The other weird one that you Americans do is the word "practise". Advise is a verb. Advice is a noun. Practise is a verb. Practice is a noun. I practise my golf swing on the practice ground. I have practice after school, where I will be practising. :arrogant:

That one's not so fish-in-a-barrel...the example you give is advice/advise. Which isn't apples to apples, since there are different pronunciations (adv-ice and adv-eyes). I don't think practise was ever pract-eyes.

My dictionary accepts it, but labels it British and directs you to "practice."

That one's not so fish-in-a-barrel...the example you give is advice/advise. Which isn't apples to apples, since there are different pronunciations (adv-ice and adv-eyes). I don't think practise was ever pract-eyes.

My dictionary accepts it, but labels it British and directs you to "practice."

I know. I just said it was a weird thing that Americans do. I know you guys consider it correct and that's fine. The pronunciation is indeed the same and I suspect that's why the spelling ended up being the same. However, I will reserve the right to get annoyed when Chrome marks practise as being incorrect.

I know. I just said it was a weird thing that Americans do. I know you guys consider it correct and that's fine. The pronunciation is indeed the same and I suspect that's why the spelling ended up being the same. However, I will reserve the right to get annoyed when Chrome marks practise as being incorrect.

Fair enough. Also, grey, theatre, ardour and colour.

metre, centre, all of those ones, and honour, vigour, all of them too. I didn't even know that grey was considered incorrect here (chrome isn't underlining it, so it thinks it's good).

metre, centre, all of those ones, and honour, vigour, all of them too. I didn't even know that grey was considered incorrect here (chrome isn't underlining it, so it thinks it's good).

In school, I added "U"s to any word I could...makes your papers longer. As does using the Georgia font.

In school, I added "U"s to any word I could...makes your papers longer. As does using the Georgia font.

hahaha

Did that really work or did your teachers see straight through you?

hahaha

Did that really work or did your teachers see straight through you?

It worked like a charm! I believe learning resourcefulness is a part of a real education.

(Did you know you can also put two spaces after a sentence? From the old days of printing. It's legit.)

I still seperate sentences with two spaces. I use one after a colon or semi-colon: see? [Unless the software automatically makes them all one space or something, in which case my demonstration is worthless.]

BAM! Holy cow, how did I miss that one? He got you, Claire! :giggle:

Oh God, I'm so embarrassed!

Can we go back to talking about less versus fewer? That one I can at least do.

Or using "me" instead of "I." As in, "it's me!" Nails on the ol' blackboard there...

Or "Sheila went to the park with John and I." People fear using "me" where it is appropriate.

Or "Sheila went to the park with John and I." People fear using "me" where it is appropriate.

And then throw in a few inappropriate myselfs.

What about lawyers who seem to think "your honor" is a pronoun?

Back