PING G25 Irons - THP Preview

Is there any update on these irons yet? I keep searching the 'net for an impartial review, but it seems like there are reviews on everything's lose but the '25's

For sentimental reasons my next set of irons will be Pings. I am a long time away from the game, and Pings were the club my dad played. I love the look of the i20's, but worry that my game is not ready. The G20's I have hit and i quite like but the sole is too thick for me, so as much as i love the Ping look and the lack of a ferrule they are a none starter. The G25's could be the ones, but there is not much out there.

Whatever Pings I get will be a step up, I am convinced that my 15 yr old Lynx Black Cts are about an inch short and the cause of the consistent miss to the right. I am 6' 4" and my divots are mainly toe deep.

Sent from my iPad

Some store have the G25 Drivers, FWs and Hybrids. Stores are anticipating irons on site around the 14th Feb which is the release date. There probably wont be much on these irons until official release as PING keeps a tight lid on their equipment for the most part.

Lot's of reviews should be out in a month time or so. Really look forward to hearing about these with the progressive sole.

Went to hit some sticks today and they had the G25 there in lefty. Only hit about 30 balls with it but, these have my attention, in a big way. Liked the G20's, didn't love them. Going to spend some more time with it next week to see if I can duplicate my results.

I hit the G25 Irons side by side with the G20. They really felt the same. Slightly less offset and not as wide in the sole but no technology difference. Actually G20's custom fit for $549.00 for 8 clubs is a great deal in my opinion. If the offset and sole ate a putoff the G25's are a mid point between the G20's and I 20's.

I have never had great luck with the sets of Ping irons I have owned or hit in the past, but for some reason as I see these in the magazines, they are in the top few sets that I would really like to hit this spring.

I know big box stores are getting their demo irons because I finally hit them the other day. I was able to hit my specs and must say these are beautiful and extremely easy to hit. I loved. The thinner profile is very noticeable and a welcomed change over the G20 irons. I can these in my bag very very soon.

TapAhoy!

I know big box stores are getting their demo irons because I finally hit them the other day. I was able to hit my specs and must say these are beautiful and extremely easy to hit. I loved. The thinner profile is very noticeable and a welcomed change over the G20 irons. I can these in my bag very very soon.

TapAhoy!

How would you compare them to your i20's SMG?

Much more forgiving and while I love the i20s these have a similar set up at address and a moderetly thicker topline. I really like how these look at address. In fact, the i20s may be on the block for these babies. I think the progressive soles and added forgivness are a perfect blend between the uber-good i20 irons and the very good G20 irons. In all honesty, I am probably better suited for the G series vs the I series and feel the new G 25s may just be more of what I need. Do love those i20s and when struck well they are incredible. The feel of ball when struck with the G25 was just as good to me as with the i20s,

Great thoughts. It's going to be interesting to see if these bleed into I20 territory. When do these get too close? Question for Ping.

I think there may be some bleeding over until the i25s come out. If the are going to 18 month cycle the new version should arrive in 6 - 8 months. Many may still prefer the I20s because the head is a bit smaller with less offset. That is the primary difference Im seeing in the 20s now. If the G series offset doesn't bother you and you want more forgiveness you have to swing the new sticks. Im interested to see if any Tour level players game these.

TapAhoy!

It will be interesting to see where Ping goes with the I25.

Indeed.

TapAhoy!

Was perusing PING website and noticed this was put up yesterday talking about the G25 iorns. I know its GD annual issue but its PING they are talking about. Last year GD got it right with a GOLD ranking for the i20 irons so hopefully they got it right again with G 25s.
From the website:

January 30, 2013
For the second consecutive year, PING won more Golf Digest "Hot List" gold awards than any other brand in the annual review of the highest-performing and hottest products on the market. With 11 golds, including the entire G25[SUP][/SUP] series earning the highest distinction, PING equaled its leading total of 2012. The results are detailed in the March issue of the magazine, which is available beginning this week.

"Winning 11 gold awards two straight years is a great accomplishment, and to win with our entire new G25 series and Scottsdale[SUP]®[/SUP] TR[SUP][/SUP] putters is independent confirmation that the technology and innovation in these products truly works," said John A. Solheim, PING Chairman & CEO. "What the testers and judges responded to in all of our award-winning products is what golfers of all abilities are going to experience – longer, straighter drives, more-controlled iron shots, and improved consistency on the greens."

The new G25 Series swept gold in every category where it was entered: driver, fairway woods, hybrids and game-improvement iron. The G25 iron was the category leader in "Performance," further validating the very positive early response to what the magazine described as a "sleeker head size" while predicting it "will appeal to a wider audience." The traditionally shaped G25 hybrid was recognized as category leader for "Look/Sound/Feel." One player tester said: "It's hard to hit the ball anything but straight and high."

PING had two gold winners – G25 and Anser[SUP]®[/SUP] – in the driver, fairway wood and hybrid categories. The new Scottsdale TR claimed gold in both the Blade and Mallet categories while earning category leader honors for "Innovation." Said one player tester: "It’s fun to putt the long ones with this one, because you make so many." Another was impressed with technology provided by the variable-depth-groove insert, saying: "The face is forgiving to the point it almost self corrects."

The Tour wedge with Gorge[SUP]®[/SUP] grooves was one of only three wedges to claim gold honors. One player tester commented: "Perfect feel, not too hard or soft."

The i20[SUP]®[/SUP] iron, an Editor's Choice winner in 2012, was awarded gold in the Players Iron category. The editors praised the iron for a look that "provides supreme confidence" and noted its "array of custom-fitting options that make everyday players feel like they have tour-pro sticks in their hands."
PING's 13 total awards were also more than any other brand.

It will be interesting to see if these generate as much interest as the i20 irons did. I hope so.

saw these at the local range today when i stopped in to talk to the owner and pro about getting a shaft fitting for my woods. I liked the look may get to hit them next week when I do my fitting.

Totally interested in these irons. I've never been a huge fan of Ping irons, but these speak to me from a design standpoint. Although, i've danced with uh ... less attractive, I suppose.

Here is a shot of the soles of 7 iron G20 vs G25.

2yvuty9a.jpg

TapAhoy!

A lot cleaner looking and surprisingly smaller. Really like the looks.

I saw these recently, and although they do look better, not as sleek as i was thinking. Then again... they're G irons.

Yes it is.

TapAhoy!

Thank you - much more pleasing to the eye - very interested in trying it out.

I was at RD a few weeks ago and tried every iron there. It was a sunday mid-morning so not to may people in the place.
I was able to play in the Ping fitting room for a couple hours when it came down to G20 or Mizuno. Not a big Ping fan always been a Callaway guy but the guy pulled out the G25's and fell for them.
They have a hoter face, very well balanced compaired to the G20's with the stock CFS shaft that i really like. For everyone that hits G20 you know that clickly sound they make these have a much better sound.
I do like that they have not jacked up the lofts to sell you an iron that will hit further like many others are doing. I have to say if you are a Ping fan you will love the color it has changed and are the same as the Tour Wedge. If you are not a Ping fan hit the G25's they are very smooth I ordered mine hope to have them next week?

Congrats on the new sticks Hacker!

Back