I don't understand the people who pull the flagstick, then drop it with a bang on the green. These are usually the same people complaining about ball marks.

I don't understand the people who pull the flagstick, then drop it with a bang on the green. These are usually the same people complaining about ball marks.

you stalking me...I never noticed anyone looking...good job

Since most of the time I play either by myself or just one or two people I usually pull the pin.........though I might add that except for when I play by myself obviously or with my father I am also "usually" closest to the pin...........:clapp:

Since most of the time I play either by myself or just one or two people I usually pull the pin.........though I might add that except for when I play by myself obviously or with my father I am also "usually" closest to the pin...........:clapp:

One thing I read once said that the average first putt for pretty much all players is about the same regardless of skill level. Better players hit greens in fewer shots from further away and hence tend to be further away than you might expect. For an 18 handicap who is missing many of the greens, then chipping on, their average first putt is about the same as Tiger's who is hitting most of the greens in regulation. The actual number is something like 18-20 feet I think. For the pros, that's a mixture of maybe 25-30 feet on greens hit from some distance away and 3-5 feet on greens hit from the fringe or thereabouts. For the 18 handicap it might be 40 feet on greens hit from range and 10 feet on greens hit from the fringe or similar. The higher number of greens hit from the fairway for the pro accounts for the higher weighting on that figure.

I like to pull the stick, because then I can look at my putt from behind the hole without holding anyone else up. I pull it when playing alone, for that reason (even though my little muni isn't even rated).

If I'm carrying wedges to the green, I put them down across the stick so I don't forget them. As a result, I (or whoever in my group is doing the same) usually replaces the stick.

One thing I read once said that the average first putt for pretty much all players is about the same regardless of skill level. Better players hit greens in fewer shots from further away and hence tend to be further away than you might expect. For an 18 handicap who is missing many of the greens, then chipping on, their average first putt is about the same as Tiger's who is hitting most of the greens in regulation. The actual number is something like 18-20 feet I think. For the pros, that's a mixture of maybe 25-30 feet on greens hit from some distance away and 3-5 feet on greens hit from the fringe or thereabouts. For the 18 handicap it might be 40 feet on greens hit from range and 10 feet on greens hit from the fringe or similar. The higher number of greens hit from the fairway for the pro accounts for the higher weighting on that figure.

Awesome didn't know that THX! Though still I am closer usually cause I missed my green and had to chip to within a couple of feet............:banghead: (My strong suit is tee shot and chipping I LOOOOOOVE to miss the green, then pull a miraculous save outta my bag thereby eliminating my chance at actuall going under par....:at-wits-end:)

Last edited:
Back