Golf is EXPENSIVE!

I buy cheap balls & use online discounts for greens fees. Have a number of free rds also thru a local magazine & my home course is $10 to walk 9 holes.

The only sort of monthly membership around here that's even remotely affordable is the $150 community card at Kestrel ridge & that course sucks. But I still play there because it's cheap.

$1600 for new clubs. $85 for a couple dozen balls. $40 dollars to play in the mornings in Florida. $10 a bucket range balls. Shoes, tees, shirts, pants, gloves, lessons. And if you're an equpment fanatic....forget it!!

I actually have a couple of questions here. First, do you think at all about how expensive the game is? AND does your significant other (or any other family member) EVER say anything about the costs incurred playing 3-4 times a week ($640 per month)
or hitting range balls until your wallet breaks?

Like others have said, golf is only as expensive as you make it. There is a certain outlay for equipment, but that is variable according to one's needs and pocketbook. There is also a necessary expense to play, but that too can be controlled by choosing when and where you play. It may not be a good recreational choice for one on a tight budget, but the costs ARE controllable.

I just did some quick math about my play for last week. It cost me $1.16 per hole to play 78 holes. Or, $0.24 a stroke. Pretty cheap entertainment. Now my wife, and I went out to dinner three times last week, which cost $25 more than my golfing did. I got to find a cheaper restaurant...:banana:

I just did some quick math about my play for last week. It cost me $1.16 per hole to play 78 holes. Or, $0.24 a stroke. Pretty cheap entertainment. Now my wife, and I went out to dinner three times last week, which cost $25 more than my golfing did. I got to find a cheaper restaurant...:banana:

And if you are really bad, the cost per stroke goes WAAAAY down! hehehe

More for your money I always say!

What about sailing - in some places that is a major sport?

I have seen sail boats that would take ALOT of golf to pay for, I agree with most others, no sport, hobby is cheap but if you look around you can get some deals.

Guess we're pretty lucky here,after buying a lot (from$5000.00 up) our golf fee's are $35.00 per month we have to pay cart path fee's of $125.00 a year. Another course in our area charges $200.00 to join,have to be voted in.
After joining the fee's are $38.50 per mo.It's a nine hole course,members help maintain the course.We have alot of people that live up north and live here in the summer.Hill Top Lakes population 250 If everbody's at home LOL. I live 5 miles away population 2(kids grew up and moved out ).

Tips, shoes, rain gear, umbrellas, towells, caps......and the beat goes on. It's expensive all right, but when it's what you think about all day........you have no choice!!

I have seen sail boats that would take ALOT of golf to pay for, I agree with most others, no sport, hobby is cheap but if you look around you can get some deals.

I think the difference between sailing and golf is that if you own a sailboat - you're married to it and feel you have to be on it every weekend. You don't feel as guilty if your clubs don't make it out on a given weekend.

I don't own a sailboat but do have an open bow I/O with a 140hp merc in it. Havenn't taken it out this year yet.

I don't own a sailboat but do have an open bow I/O with a 140hp merc in it. Havenn't taken it out this year yet.

I speak not from experience (disclaimer) but it seems to me that boats are as much of a "money pit" as a house. True?

Not around here - there's that little issue of a bond. There are a couple of clubs where the bond may be in the $15K range, but the majority are $50K +.
It would be hard to find a club out here with out a initiation as well. I just think that when your spending 500 a month for a public course, you should pony up for a private.
That's a lot closer to what I've seen around here. Minimum $15k initiation fee, then $500-1k/mo. + food minimums, etc.
I have only found one club around here with that low of an initiation, although a lot of places are bypassing it for a year right now. The problem is the one I want to join is a half hour away, and the ones around me kind of suck.

Tips, shoes, rain gear, umbrellas, towells, caps......and the beat goes on. It's expensive all right, but when it's what you think about all day........you have no choice!!

But you CAN get by without most of that stuff. I've never tipped anyone at a typical public course in my life... no need (only a bag boy at a resort - if you are playing on the cheap then you won't be playing upscale courses anyway).

I wear one hat at a time, so that I all that is needed. One towel, laundered as needed, and it doesn't have to a "golf" towel. Any old towel from around the house will do.

You can choose not to play in the rain, so one umbrella for emergencies is the most that's needed there.

Golf shoes are NOT a requirement, nor is a glove.

I played for many years without all of those extra add-ons, so I know it can be done and still have a satisfactory time playing golf.

I speak not from experience (disclaimer) but it seems to me that boats are as much of a "money pit" as a house. True?

I have a friend with a boat (motor) and he likes to say "The two best days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys it, and the day he sells it."

I guess that explains why he sold his boat . . . and then bought another one.

Owning a sailboat is best compared to standing in a cold shower, tearing up $10 bills.

That said, and though I'd never in a million years buy one, Hinckley's Picnic Boat is just gorgeous. http://www.hinckleyyachts.com/

Essentially, if you have money to spend, you can choose between a second house, a boat, or a country club. Any of the three will suck up all your weekends and let you spend all your discretionary money.

Maybe some are, mine I bought used 4 years ago & I haven't had to sink any $$ into other than stuff I wanted to add like the bimini top, more towable toys, etc. Also the bigger the boat the bigger the operating expenses obviously. Go get a Fountain with twin or triple big blocks & you can blow thru $2000 in fuel in an afternoon.

That's why I like mine, tops out at 40 mph which is plenty fast on the water. And I can be out all afternoon long & might spend $20 in gas.

I have a friend with a boat (motor) and he likes to say "The two best days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys it, and the day he sells it."

I guess that explains why he sold his boat . . . and then bought another one.

I would love to buy a new boat, but the one I want is $35K & we don't use our current boat enough to justify any sort of boat payment.

Heres another one for those of you who think that golf is expensive. Today I played 9 holes on the par 3 course at Vitense Golfland in Madison, WI.
Cost: $7.
I had a heck of a good time too. The fairways are pretty narrow and are tree-lined, so you have to be pretty straight and there is enough elevation change to make things interesting.
Granted, I didnt hit anything longer than a 6-iron, but a course doesnt have to be long to be challenging and fun.
In regards to boats and whether or not they are a moneypit, it depends. The problems happen when people dont use their boat for months and dont strore it properly. If you dont drain the gas out of the carburators and fog the engine, you will have problems. Over time gas evaporates, leaing a gummy mess in the carburator and then when you go to use the boat again, it wont start. You are going to have problems with anything if you dont take care of it.

That's a great price for 9 holes on a weekend. One of my favorite courses, Killarney West, is about 6-7 miles away and it's only $8 to play its 9 holes (par 36) during the weekdays, $12 on weekends. It's a mature golf course, well-taken care of and challenging, but short at ~2700 yds from the "tips".

I estimate that I spend around $600 monthly on golf, not including the odd equipment or clothing purchase. I have no other hobbies right now and my wife doesn't care what I spend as long as she can do what she wants. If the economy keeps going at the current rate, I may consider cutting back a round a week and I have honestly got my set just where I want it, so I can't think of any extra expenses I have coming up.

I would say that yes it is, but you can keep costs lower using the net, going with lesser named brands that do THE SAME THING! (Nickent, Adams etc) But I like to play well when I go out with people and some gear gives me more of an edge.

However, I first started playing it was with a wal-mart wilson set that cost with a bag under $100. Shoes were purchased off of sale rack at Ross, balls were either scavenged from course or the SUPER cheap Nitro-esque stuff at Wal-mart.

Once I got into HS and started competition cost jumped rapidly. Now I am looking at dropping a grand for irons etc (Adam A4 Tours with fitting, new wedges etc) But elieve it or not I spend as much if not more on other hobbies due to inherent costs in keeping my edge with long-guns and the current administration etc.

For example I just spent close to $1200 on ammo which I will shoot through in about 1-2 weeks depending on time constraints, insuring that I will spend another $200 or so on reloading. (this $200 is relative and considering time costs not actual dollar amount) And this is a hobby, though some could argue this helps my job too so go figure?

I have buddies who spend $100 a week on paintball and though my costs are low for me on my team, it's only because I play pump and am part owner/investor in the field..........

Keep in mind I am still single at this point in my life too so this means my non-saved funds go to toys and fun! I hear rumors that this changes when my beautiful wife does eventually come into the picture with me! :D

Last edited:
Plus to stay competitive in 3-gun, tactical, and long range shooting it is almost required to constantly change caliber's/sights/whatever to cut weight, get faster target acquistion speed etc. Not to mention the sky-rocketing costs of ar parts etc. I mean I get a new barrel every couple of months or so. Basic, bonestock, chrome lined ones START at $150 plus, getting it bulled/tapered/tapped for compensators/flash hiders/NFA stuff etc adds more, plus the tax stamp for suppressors too............

Long story short firearms are IMO waaaay more expensive than golf, though probably not as costly as boat owning or fixing up 4x4's etc.

Back