Should I order DG R300 or Soft Step DG S300

beardog

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking at getting a set of TM Rocketbladz Tours. I have a freiend who is a Rep for TM and works at one of the PGA Superstores.
So I hit the clubs and my numbers come back that I'm between a Stiff and Regular. He says he'd fit in firm shafts. So I have several options order DG R300, order DG S300 and have them soft stepped, or another posibility order R400's.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What do you want your trajectory to look like? If you want them to launch a bit higher, go for the R300s. If you want a bit lower, go for the S300s.

You could also go for R+ KBS Tours which would lie in between the DG flexes.

Is there a golf store you could use the mizuno shaft optimizer? That thing is crazy accurate and will tell you if hard stepping or soft stepping would be best for you.

I'd go R400's or S200's

KBS R+!

I think he wants a more logical answer to the question, not just for everyone to shout out their personal preference. I do agree with you though, it does fit nicely between R300 and S300. With a bit more spin.

I think he wants a more logical answer to the question, not just for everyone to shout out their personal preference. I do agree with you though, it does fit nicely between R300 and S300. With a bit more spin.
My spin with the KBS tour is less than DG

My spin with the KBS tour is less than DG

Really? DG is the lowest spinning shaft on the market for me. Do you like the numbers better with the DG then? If so, go with the DG, then choose flex based on the trajectory you are looking for because it sounds like either flex will work for you.

Looking at getting a set of TM Rocketbladz Tours. I have a freiend who is a Rep for TM and works at one of the PGA Superstores.
So I hit the clubs and my numbers come back that I'm between a Stiff and Regular. He says he'd fit in firm shafts. So I have several options order DG R300, order DG S300 and have them soft stepped, or another posibility order R400's.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The DG R300 straight in is 4.8 FCM. If you Hard-Step (hs) it becomes 5.1 FCM.

The DG S300 straight in is 5.8 FCM. If you Soft-Step (ss) it becomes 5.5 FCM. If you ssx2 it becomes 5.2 FCM.

Weight difference is neglible at 127g for the R300 vs 130g for the S300.

My opinion is if you're set on Dynamic Gold shafts then you should do S300 ssx2. This will give you the launch/kickpoint/spin benefits of the S300 with the flex code you need.

My first choice for you would be KBS C-Taper R straight in which has a 5.2 FCM but less weight at 110g. Less weight will increase your club head speed and launch angle which in turn will increase your distance per iron (usually about 1/2 to 1 full club).

Either of these two shafts will work well for you but if the price is the same, I'd do KBS C-Taper R in a heartbeat...

5.2 is the FCM you should shoot for though!!

The DG R300 straight in is 4.8 FCM. If you Hard-Step (hs) it becomes 5.1 FCM.

The DG S300 straight in is 5.8 FCM. If you Soft-Step (ss) it becomes 5.5 FCM. If you ssx2 it becomes 5.2 FCM.

Weight difference is neglible at 127g for the R300 vs 130g for the S300.

My opinion is if you're set on Dynamic Gold shafts then you should do S300 ssx2. This will give you the launch/kickpoint/spin benefits of the S300 with the flex code you need.

My first choice for you would be KBS C-Taper R straight in which has a 5.2 FCM but less weight at 110g. Less weight will increase your club head speed and launch angle which in turn will increase your distance per iron (usually about 1/2 to 1 full club).

Either of these two shafts will work well for you but if the price is the same, I'd do KBS C-Taper R in a heartbeat...

5.2 is the FCM you should shoot for though!!

The CTaper profile may not fit him well like it doesn't for many golfers, even if flex lines up.

As has been said, top choice on the Optimizer if probably the optimal choice for your game.

THPing on Tapatalk

The CTaper profile may not fit him well like it doesn't for many golfers, even if flex lines up.

As has been said, top choice on the Optimizer if probably the optimal choice for your game.

THPing on Tapatalk

It seems (based on his fitting) that he was fitted for "firm". The gradation of the frequency (FCM) is to approximate a shaft range then apply ball flight characteristics and spin for trajectory.

You're correct that a C-Taper might not fit him; however, it is also one that matches perfectly to his FCM range and he may not have tried which is why I suggested it. But, I also gave him the appropriate shaft in the DG line if that's what he had been fitted for and liked. No big deal, just would've been my first suggestion...

Thanks to all and especially Fourwiggle for their input and information. It was informative. I probably should of added that he wants to see me, or would like for me to have a heavier shaft because I am quite strong. I haven't thouht of the KBS C-Taper but will mention it to him and hit at his fitting station.

Thanks again.

Back