I prefer to chip almost everything when I am off the green regardless of the situation or conditions. On the very rare occasion I find myself just off the green and a shot inside of 15-20 feet I might think about putting. I just have much better distance control when I chip. To me, there are too many things that can get in the way when you putt from off the green. Most of the courses I play have zoysia fairways and they can be tricky to roll. The grass is so thick that it can be very hard to judge the speed. One time the ball might roll perfectly and the next time the grass will grab it and you will barely make it on the green.

Depends on the length of the grass,or if its uphill or downhill.

Depends on the length of the grass,or if its uphill or downhill.

I've played with women who will putt from tall thick rough. A couple of them actually do it well.

I'll putt. Too afraid of hitting a pull-hook if I chip.

I figure if I putt it, I am taking double out of play. That may not be true of a bladed or chunked chip. Just makes sense to me to take the putter out and practice hitting it from decent fairway lies.

Depends on the length of the grass & how far the pin is situated on the green. I have played both shots many times, will drop a 2nd ball & try a chip as well as a putt. Almost everytime the putt ends up in better position.

only birdies I've made from off the green where with a wedge..so I guess that's my vote.

Tiger just used a 6 iron about 3' off the green.it rolled past about 8',Harrington did the same thing past about 5'.Funny reading this post and then they have the same thing chip ,pitch or putt.
Me I like to use my 8 iron.

I think it was Tom Watson who said that amateurs are almost always better off putting. There are just less things that can go wrong.

I love Tom Watson and he is right, but I respectfully disagree! :D S

Since I first started playing this game I have always liked the bump and run with a PW..... Maybe this is splitting hairs since it's almost the same concept with a 6i etc.......... but when I use any type of putter from further back than 1 foot or so I am atrocious, seriously we are talking about really, really bad scores even with practice. So I just gave up an stuck with what got me lower scores. Maybe some are just better at certain aspects of the game than others, like with me I can spot the EXACT spot where I need to land it so it checks and rolls to the pin and accordingly how hard to chip but maybe my brain works diff than others.

I am sure that everyone on here each has an aspect of his/her game that they just do more natural than me, but chipping (not flopping/hi chips) is easy for ME. No joke, I holed one for birdie today number 8, 20ft single lt to rt break, slightly downhill and the ball was maybe 4 feet from the frog hair in the fairway, checked/slowed the ball near the downslope let gravity do the rest! BTW shot a 41 thru 9 from whites too, so I am not claiming to be a pro also.

Back