Wilson Staff Ci11 Irons

Got some time in this afternoon on the net I keep at work for practice. I warmed up hitting the P3 almost golf balls into the net. I rarely ever hit real balls into it when it's set up inside just incase one would get through, don't want to have to explain anything broken or dented.

I really like the swing weight of the clubs and the black heads look very good when setup to the ball. I felt as if I could feel where the club head was during my swing better than the burner plus's. Feel was good and I could still feel a miss out on the toe with the p3's.

I started hitting a real ball and liked the solid feel I was getting back on good contact.

I intentionally hit a few shots with different clubs out towards the toe and in towards the heel. The balls hit out toward the toe had a very distinct feel and you knew you caught the ball there. I caught a few really close to the edge of the toe and it rung back into my hands giving me a not so friendly reminder to not hit it there.

On heel shots I got a very dead feeling in my hands. I have never hit a club that I got this feeling from. It's not a bad feeling was just kinda weird as I didn't expect that feeling.

I am hoping to get out this weekend to either the range or maybe get at least 9 in on Sunday since its gonna be around 50 for the high.

Last edited:
Got out on the range last night and hit a small bucket. Temps were in the high 40's and the wind was blowing pretty hard.

Distance was hard to judge with the wind. The feel of these clubs for me is very soft with a muted sound. I felt like the ball flew a bit high and just dropped out of the sky. That could have been the wind blowing at 20+ but I think with the flighted shaft that's what they are designed to do.

Can't wait to get out again with some less wind to see how these perform under better conditions.

How has the finish held up on the irons? I have the Ci9s and really like them. I am not sure if I want to look at a set of Ci11s or the new D100s

They can get a bit worn on the sole, but I liked the finish wearing a bit when I owned them. Some seriously nice irons

They do wear pretty quick. So be mindful

Mine are wearing but I've made 300 plus swings total off of the mat.

Got out on the range last night again I absolutely love the feel of these irons. I was able to work the ball both ways fairly easy with these.

Distance I am gonna guess is very similar to my old tm burner plus irons maybe a half club or more longer although hitting range rocks in 30 degree weather and snow on the ground makes it hard to tell for sure.

The ball flight seems to be a little high but still penetrated quite well. I'd really like to swing these in a non flighted shaft.

Has anyone reshafted their Ci11's with either the KBS or Nippon offerings?

If so, please share your experiences.

I've completed a pretty significant swing overhaul and might be better served with a lower-flight shaft.

Thanks in advance.

Got out on the range last night again I absolutely love the feel of these irons. I was able to work the ball both ways fairly easy with these.

Distance I am gonna guess is very similar to my old tm burner plus irons maybe a half club or more longer although hitting range rocks in 30 degree weather and snow on the ground makes it hard to tell for sure.

The ball flight seems to be a little high but still penetrated quite well. I'd really like to swing these in a non flighted shaft.

I'm totally confused by this, sorry. :confused2:

Has anyone reshafted their Ci11's with either the KBS or Nippon offerings?

If so, please share your experiences.

I've completed a pretty significant swing overhaul and might be better served with a lower-flight shaft.

Thanks in advance.

Do you think you're losing distance with a higher ball flight?

From my own personal experience, higher flights are almost always better. In general, us lousy amateur golfers do not hit the ball as high as we think we do.

Do you think you're losing distance with a higher ball flight?

From my own personal experience, higher flights are almost always better. In general, us lousy amateur golfers do not hit the ball as high as we think we do.

I originally ordered the Ci11's with the half & half shafts due to some back issues. Now working with the folks at Golftec, coupled with a program to increase core strength & flexibility, I'm hitting these without pain and as the designers originally intended - which is pretty high - and have noticed some ballooning, hence the question.

This is not a knock on the proprietary Half & Half shafts - they do work as advertised, and I'd recommend them to anyone that likes the shock absorption and lower weight attributes of graphite but wants the shaft to provide some feedback.

I've reshafted my Ci11s with a KBS shaft...but its the Tour 90s, which are designed for a mid-high to high ball flight. The Tours would be slightly lower, with the C Tapers being the lowest launching / stiffest shaft that KBS has.

I've reshafted my Ci11s with a KBS shaft...but its the Tour 90s, which are designed for a mid-high to high ball flight. The Tours would be slightly lower, with the C Tapers being the lowest launching / stiffest shaft that KBS has.

Nate, were you fitted for the Tour 90's? Could elaborate on the difference in feel / distance / consistency of the KBS vs. the stock TX shafts?

Thanks.

Nate, were you fitted for the Tour 90's? Could elaborate on the difference in feel / distance / consistency of the KBS vs. the stock TX shafts?

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply. I was not fit for the shafts, I was chosen for testing the Tour 90s for THP. In terms of the differences in those three areas, I felt that the KBS shafts (for me) felt smoother during the transition and strike than the TX shafts. I felt the clubhead a little bit more in the swing with these, which I like. Distance wise, when I was in the midst of the season last year I was getting almost a club length more distance out of the Ci11s with the Tour 90s than the TX shafts when I struck the ball well. A high flight is not a bad thing, as long as the flight is not ballooning, which these were not for me. Consistency wise they looked to be very similar in dispersion on shots struck a bit off center than the TX flighted for me. With the 90s, you cannot get too aggressive in the transition, though, because they aren't made for that. Smooth transition, not necessarily a slow swing speed.

These Tour 90s are NOT for everyone of course, but definitely look into KBS in general...I'm just hooked on the feel of their products.

Sorry for the late reply. I was not fit for the shafts, I was chosen for testing the Tour 90s for THP. In terms of the differences in those three areas, I felt that the KBS shafts (for me) felt smoother during the transition and strike than the TX shafts. I felt the clubhead a little bit more in the swing with these, which I like. Distance wise, when I was in the midst of the season last year I was getting almost a club length more distance out of the Ci11s with the Tour 90s than the TX shafts when I struck the ball well. A high flight is not a bad thing, as long as the flight is not ballooning, which these were not for me. Consistency wise they looked to be very similar in dispersion on shots struck a bit off center than the TX flighted for me. With the 90s, you cannot get too aggressive in the transition, though, because they aren't made for that. Smooth transition, not necessarily a slow swing speed.

These Tour 90s are NOT for everyone of course, but definitely look into KBS in general...I'm just hooked on the feel of their products.

When you had the TX shafts in did you feel that you needed to make the same smooth swing as with the 90's?

When you had the TX shafts in did you feel that you needed to make the same smooth swing as with the 90's?

Not as much, no, but ultimately the smooth transition has helped in my driver and wood swings as well, so I don't have the mindset of trying to muscle or kill the ball.

Not as much, no, but ultimately the smooth transition has helped in my driver and wood swings as well, so I don't have the mindset of trying to muscle or kill the ball.

Thanks I was curious as I seem to have to put a smooth swing on them to see the results I want.

Thanks I was curious as I seem to have to put a smooth swing on them to see the results I want.

If you're one that likes to "go after" a shot and is comfortable with contact that way, then you definitely need a different shaft IMO.

If you're one that likes to "go after" a shot and is comfortable with contact that way, then you definitely need a different shaft IMO.

I was/can be and like having the option to do so, but don't mind having to be smooth.

My issue is remembering I have to be smooth with all the clubs I have currently due to the shafts in them.

I have a fitting scheduled next week and am looking at swapping shafts in these depending on costs.

I was/can be and like having the option to do so, but don't mind having to be smooth.

My issue is remembering I have to be smooth with all the clubs I have currently due to the shafts in them.

I have a fitting scheduled next week and am looking at swapping shafts in these depending on costs.

Definitely keep us posted, FF. I'll be curious to hear about what shafts best fit you for these.

Definitely keep us posted, FF. I'll be curious to hear about what shafts best fit you for these.

Will do its gonna be a fun morning for sure never had a shaft fitting or club fitting. It may come down to cost on reshafting or changing clubs.

Nate, thanks for the feedback on the shafts, I was not enamored with the TX shafts when I originally tried the clubs (probably due to my back ailments at the time).

Wilson Staff has a demo day scheduled locally, sounds like I need to get to it and try some options...

FF, if the shaft fitter has a ball you like to play available during the fitting, take advantage of it. (Even if it's a few more $$). Range balls should get you in the ballpark, hitting your favorite (insert brand name here) ball a few times with the shafts that make the final cut is wonderful, finding the one and hitting a few pure is orgasmic.

Well, maybe not that, but you get my drift...

Nate, thanks for the feedback on the shafts, I was not enamored with the TX shafts when I originally tried the clubs (probably due to my back ailments at the time).

Wilson Staff has a demo day scheduled locally, sounds like I need to get to it and try some options...

FF, if the shaft fitter has a ball you like to play available during the fitting, take advantage of it. (Even if it's a few more $$). Range balls should get you in the ballpark, hitting your favorite (insert brand name here) ball a few times with the shafts that make the final cut is wonderful, finding the one and hitting a few pure is orgasmic.

Well, maybe not that, but you get my drift...

I plan on taking a few gamers for the fitting to see my numbers with them. He uses prov1's for his fittings as we've discussed it already and I've never gamed them.

I plan on taking a few gamers for the fitting to see my numbers with them. He uses prov1's for his fittings as we've discussed it already and I've never gamed them.

Sure hope you still rocking Ci11's come the invitational, maybe with some KBS's or something! I wanna see how much you've improved.

Sure hope you still rocking Ci11's come the invitational, maybe with some KBS's or something! I wanna see how much you've improved.

I'm pretty sure I will be with the talk at work I can't pull the trigger on new irons shafts may be feasible if I can find a set of pulls.

Me too Octobers outing was the worst golf I played all yr. I think with all the time I have put in this winter it's gonna pay off big time. I hoe the weather breaks soon so I can get some course time in to dial these in.

Back