PING G25 Fairway Woods & Hybrids - THP Preview

I'm in the market for a hybrid, as I just am getting back into the game and ordered a set of g25 irons 4-sw. While there is probably an a minor compulsion to go full ping bag now, trying not to fall into the trap (though I did also go with a Scottsdale putter). For someone who realistically will be a 20 handicap this summer, what does everyone think of this hybrid for someone of a lower skill level? Secondarily, what's everyone's thoughts on getting fitted for a hybrid? I know I'm a stiff shaft, but my irons are +1" long. Would that mean I probably need a longer hybrid too in general?
Sent from my Lumia 810 using Board Express

Theres nothing wrong with getting fitted, the 23* hybrid is 1" longer than a 4 iron so you should be fine there. IMO hybrids are easier to hit than long irons and work well in almost any lie. You wont be dissapointed in the g25's those are great irons. I had the g10's and managed to get my handicap from 15-20 down to the single digits. And changing your whole bag over to ping is a personal preference, if your hittin your driver, fairways good. why switch? with me i just loved the new look of the all black which is why i upgraded.

I really wanted to add the g25 hybrid to my bag, as I love the look and I've already added g25 irons and a TR Shea putter this year...but alas, it was not to be. Off a tee it was OK (though I didn't like the sound), but off the mat, just too many mishits for me. And when i did hit it well, it just wasn't much better than my 4i (I was testing the 20*). Keep in mind, im just returning to the game, and a high handicapper at this point. I ended up just picking up an original Mashie (which I hate lookwise, but couldn't ignore the success i was having with it), as well as an XL Classic 3wood. So looks like I'll be Cleveland woods and Ping irons/putter, for the foreseeable future.

I'm a Ping man, but I've heard alot of good things with the x-hot's . You might want to give those a swing

I love the Amp Cell fairway, but I need to hit this first. The G20 just went straight when i hit it last year, so if it's the same, going to come down to gap distances.

Still pondering that 17 hybo. More hybrid testing this week to hopefully finalize the bag. Now I need to run some numbers on the 17* and TE 4 Wood to see what they look like. Excited about the 4 - LW G25 irons and cant wait to see how they perform for the year.

Still pondering that 17 hybo. More hybrid testing this week to hopefully finalize the bag. Now I need to run some numbers on the 17* and TE 4 Wood to see what they look like. Excited about the 4 - LW G25 irons and cant wait to see how they perform for the year.

If you dont mind.... what irons did you have before the g25's?

Judge,

PING-wise I have the i20s but have gone to the G25s for the added forgiveness. Also play the Rapture V2 irons which are fantastic.

really i was thinking about going back to the g25's for the forgiveness, did you lose any distance from switching? I had the g10 before going to the i20's and thought since i was going down in handicap i could handle a players iron. Now really pondering ..... I went to edwin watts and the guys told me my swing was good enough for the i20's but i really like forgiveness tho

I found the i20s to be an amazing club which I have enjoyed however, I had to admit I needed more forgivness in my game. Thes G25s have not caused any loss in distance in fact they seem to be a bit longer based upon a couple of rounds so far. I have been hitting the sweet spot more consistently with the G25s which I am sure helps with more distance. The i20 were a smaller head and the 25s give me more confidence in part because of their size.

Headed to the golf shop tomorrow and see what i can find... might be walking away with some 25's as well...

Hit'em good JS. Looking forward to your experience. Happy testing!

Hit'em good JS. Looking forward to your experience. Happy testing!

Well picked up a set 4-w CFS stiff , and just finished a round. Not too bad shot a 82. I had 2 blow up holes otherwise i would have broke 80, but oh well loving the forgiveness. I still cant decide if i want to sell or keep the I20's.

That is great shooting right out the box. Glad you like the 25s and the forgiveness. Did you notice any difference in yardages?

TapAhoy!

No I didn't see any distance change, the only thing I've noticed is that the launch is a little higher but otherwise I'm digging them. Gonna play another round tomorrow see if I can break 80

as well as an XL Classic 3wood.
Don't want to hijack the Ping thread so ill invite you to come over to the Classic XL FW thread and tell us about that one.

Last edited:
I hit my 20* G25 hybrid so weel the first couple rounds I got a 23* even though the I20 long irons are the best I've ever had. Thought I'd be switching the 4i and G25 23* out a lot but after getting a couple rounds in with the 23* I just find the forgiveness and ability to hit it higher too much to swap out. I am even thinking of trying a 27* hybrid at this point.

The G25 is pretty much as "expected" for me - i.e., versus my Anser, it looks similar (good), is more forgiving (good) and I hit it higher (depends as I do like the piercing flight of the Anser for certain shots). Pretty much the same for the FW - in fact, I'll likely be selling my Anser 3W and 20* hybrid pretty soon after originally thinking I would keep them for different conditions.

While I've hit a lot off hybrids at demo days, I'm afraid the only other recent model I can compare is the Titleist 910h which I owned for a couple years. Much like the driver, I really loved that club but fought the hooks too much - a problem I do not have with any of the G25 stuff - if anything I am developing a nice high, controllable fade when needed, but have to get used to lining up the left side a little bit after years of the opposite with the hook...

Anyway, lots of good stuff out there - can't wait for demo days to pick up this spring around here, but I would absolutely recommend giving the G25 a shot.

i have the g25 20* and its my 200-210 club, gets it up in the air, forgiving and the mat black head is just a confidence booster. Looks so pretty behind the ball, gonna be picking up my 23* later on the week

These woods are amazing!! I had the 3 wood first, loved it so much, I bought the 5 wood! So forgiving and easy to hit off the deck! Love them! The stock shaft is really nice, too! Really nice to see PING stepping it up.

I have seen these before, but never posted to the thread. I really like the look of these woods and hybrids, but the launch is a bit high for my taste. I think if I was able to get a lower launch shaft installed in one, I might like it a bit better. I can't complain about the feel though, very solid and has a great pop to it.

I had the opportunity to hit the G25 4 wood this weekend and went ahead a purchased one based on the results I got in 2 rounds. To me this club was just so easy to hit off the deck as well as the tee. I played in some really horrible conditions this weekend and this club was money for me. 40 degrees and rainy one day, 60 degrees with 25 mph winds the next. Had several opportunities to hit this because of the conditions on my second shot into the greens or off the tee on longer par 3's and this club just flat out performed me. Should be receiving the G25 7 wood here in a couple of days as well as a G25 3 hybrid. I plan on comparing the 7 wood 21* with the 20* hybrid. I'm hoping the 7 wood will give me a higher launch for shots I need to get over trees and hit over longer carry distances over water versus the hybrid for into the wind lower trajectory shots. I'll report back what I find but just wanted give some props to this line of woods. I am really impressed with the whole line of G25 equipment. The word "solid" just sticks out to me about these woods. I have heard other people say this about ping and I find it very true too, "Ping just makes equipment that flat out works."

7 wood and 3 hybrid are scheduled for delivery today. Cant wait to give these bad boys a couple of swings.

7 wood and 3 hybrid are scheduled for delivery today. Cant wait to give these bad boys a couple of swings.

I'm curious about your gapping with the 3H and the 7W. I've never tried any of the G25 woods other than the 3W - but my 3H leaves a large gap between my 4i.

Thought I would revive this thread. Anyone still hitting the g25 fairways? Looking at a 4 wood, tossing up between this and the jetspeed. Thoughts greatly appreciated.

I play a G25 driver with the stock TFC R flex (swing speed is around 88-92 on avg) and it feels nice. Also have a Diamana S+ in R flex if i want to bring the flight down a some on dryer days.

anyway, my k15 3w has been a little hooky as of late so I was thinking of adding the G25 4 or 5 wood to give me more of a straight ball flight.. Stay with the R flex or go down to SR flex? My swing speed with a fw is usually 82-85 mph range.

Thanks

Just an update on my 7 wood versus 3 hybrid testing, 21 degree for the 7 wood and 20 degrees for the hybrid. Well they are performing pretty much the way I thought they would. The 7 wood launches higher and is about 5-10 yards longer for me. The hybrid is easier to hit trouble shots with and work the ball, which I'm not very good at. I consider a straight shot a fade for I am mainly a hooker. The hybrid is great for hitting punch shots out of and under trees, out of fairway bunkers, and flighting the ball into the wind. The 7 wood is the club I prefer hitting when I have trouble in front of the green or I need to hit it over trees. One shot that stands out to me was an 184 yard shot that was all carry over a ravine with over hanging leaves about 30 yards short and to the right side of the green with the pin tucked short and right on the green. I had to basically aim at the tree, hit a high draw, and hope to clear the limbs. I hit the 7 wood about 170ish on average so I really needed to go after it. I gave her a mighty lash and made perfect contact, hit the ball right at the tree with a little draw, cleared the limbs and stuck it within 1 foot of my divot mark on the green which was about 4 feet from the pin. Then, of course, missed the putt from birdie. lol. Point of the story is that I know there is no way I could have pulled off this shot with the hybrid, yet, I have hit some shots out of bunkers and out of the trees that I know I could not have pulled off with the 7 wood. Its funny how I hit the two clubs close to the same distance but when I get up to that 170-180 yard shot, I know exactly which club I want to hit. I definitely think its worth having these two clubs in the bag.

I've been kicking the tires on a G25 4 wood lately. Glad to hear they are working for you TW

Back