I had the shaft come loose on my PW once. The head did not come off, but you could twirl it around the shaft. Really funny the first time I hit it before I discovered the twirling thing. I hit the ball and it went sideways, the head went around in a circle...

I have never broken a club but I played in a 3 man scramble this last Saturday and say two clubs broken during the round. the first was a putter. One of the 20 somethings on another team missed a four foot put for eagle and he picks up his ball, throws it in the air and swings his putter at it like a baseball bat. He made good contact, the only problem being is that the putter head went further than the ball. This kid played college baseball so he has a good baseball swing. Later in the round it was a 5 iron. Another 20 something kid hit a really fat shot off a par three tee and the ball only goes about 50 feet. He throws his club at a tree, like swinging a baseball bat, and sure enough it snapped right in half. He also plays baseball.

I've thrown the ball into the woods because it wasn't cooperating. Otherwise I'm not good enough to get mad.

Friend of mine swung his wedge at a sapling. The shaft wrapped around the tree, the shaft broke and sent the head straight into his sternum. He lost the desire to break them after that.

Never broken a club intentionally or unintentionally.. When angry I simmer quietly in the background muttering about the stupid shot.. Then go through a breathing routine in an attempt to exercise the demons. When that doesn't work, I rotate my head 360 degrees spewing green liquid all over my playing partners..:rotfl:

I think we may have played together....:D One of the lower handicappers in my men's club was in my foursome on the last day of the club championship and was having a terrible day. This poor performance was accompanied by club throwing, jumping up and down, very interestingly colorful language bordering on jibberish, AND I am pretty sure his head actually rotated 360.:D If we had any advance notice of this performance, we could have sold tickets.

I had a Zebra driver that I snapped the shaft on back in college. I use the head as a paperweight.

I finally figured out what happened!!!

I was puzzled because I really didn't throw it hard enough to affect a good shaft. It finally dawned on me tonight what happened....I had tried the Super Stroke putter grip on that particular putter. To install it, you have to drive a set screw through the shaft to lock the grip in place. I later changed the Super Stroke for a Jumbo Winn putter grip. That left a weak spot under the grip on the original shaft. That is right where it broke. Mystery solved. I knew I didn't throw it hard enough to damage it that badly. Now it makes sense.

I've broken two clubs, neither in anger. I've snapped the shafts of my 8 & 9 irons - the 8 on a practice swing in heavy rough, broke roughly in half, and the 9 on a stroke out of the rough, broke just under the grip sending the head and most of the shaft further than the ball. Maybe my swing plane is a bit steep? :banghead:

FYI - True Temper Dynalite Superlight S300 shafts w/ Sensicore - next time I will go for something more robust than the Dynalites, perhaps Dynamic Golds. Both shafts appeared rusty on the inside.

Back