Wedge Setup and Why?

Right now my gap wedge (set wedge) is 50* and I have a 56* Cleveland. I'm contemplating changing that to 54* or 55* and adding a 60*, or adding a 53* and keeping the 56*

My old wedge setup was 50, 54 and 60. But with the J-40 CB's on the way I am switching to 52 and 56. My reasons for this are, the 60 can be great but it can also be a nightmare, so long term I am better with it out of the bag. The CB's are more old skool loft PW is 47 so the 52 should be just fine now.

PW 46* RocketBladez
AW 52* ATV
SW 56* ATV
LW 60* ATV

Or

PW 46* RocketBladez
AW 52* ATV
SW 58* ATV
if the 3H is in the bag

I have found my new favorite club...52° Wedge, maybe a 51° Tour Trusty can replace this, but man I have fell in love with my 52°. I have been chipping just inside with it, but it feels like I can do anything with it...it is a club I used maybe once per two rounds before, and now...I think I wanna hit everything with it :D Can't wait to get on the course!

I've taken a little different look at my wedge setup:

Current
46 PW
50 GW
56 SW

Dream
46 PW
50 GW
55 GW
61 LW

With the deletion of a hybrid or combination of two hybrids I've opened up another spot in my bag and I think adding back in a LW gives me more short game creativity options!

I go 52 56 60. Works well. Seems I have a wedge for all distances

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have a 54, 60 set up. Only ever use my 60 out the sand but i do love my 54 from 100 yds and in. Would like to go with a 52,56,60 set up but too used to a 54degree wedge

My gap wedge is a 50 degree to keep consistent with my 4 degree user iron gaps. The gw is the last club I take full shots with, so gaps don't matter as much for the others. I play a 56 sand wedge and a 62 lob wedge as well.

My wedges go like this..

PW 44* 120yd
AW 49* 110yd
SW 54* 100yd
LW 58* 80yd

I've taken a little different look at my wedge setup:

Current
46 PW
50 GW
56 SW

Dream
46 PW
50 GW
55 GW
61 LW

With the deletion of a hybrid or combination of two hybrids I've opened up another spot in my bag and I think adding back in a LW gives me more short game creativity options!

I'm on the verge of making a similar change Icey. I'm thinking 46/50/54/58 with the 58 being low bounce. I've also contemplated some SCORs, but not sure I'm ready to drop that kind of cash.

I'm on the verge of making a similar change Icey. I'm thinking 46/50/54/58 with the 58 being low bounce. I've also contemplated some SCORs, but not sure I'm ready to drop that kind of cash.

I played that setup previously and really liked it!

Siri speaks for me!

I played that setup previously and really liked it!

Siri speaks for me!

Yeah, I'm not a huge lob wedge guy. Figure a 58˚ is the lesser evil. We'll see what happens.

Another season of 45-50-54-58 set to go... I really only use the 58 for in certain situations. Short-side pins out of the bunker or rough. One local course has really spongy fairways and I find the 58 goes thru it easier than a hot knife thru butter so I will use it there for full swings. It'll go about 70 yards? The 54 will go about 95 yards. I have hit some real pin seekers with it...

I am playing 52 56 60 and the PW from my iron set and I am not sure what the loft is, I am pondering adding a 50 to the mix. It would mess up the current set up but might be worth it.

I have gone back and forth many times on different lofts with wedges but usually had a three wedge set up of PW, GW and LW. Most recently I have taken out the PW from my set and put in the a Cleveland PW that matches up with my other wedges. I get more feel with the Cleveland and the look at setup is much better. I do have a large gap between PW and nine so thinking of getting an even stronger PW. Current setup is PW 48*, GW 52* and LW 58*. Thinking of going to 46* on the PW and seeing how this works.

Lately I've been only carrying 47* PW, 53 and 58. I do have the 50, but found myself rarely using it, so I swap it out with an old 7 Wood, depending on the course.

The high bounce 58 is my go-to club most of the time inside 80 yards. It's absolutely awesome out of the sand and from 90% of the lies I face. Hardpack is a little tough for me, but that's mostly me at this time of year. The 53* is my 100 yard club, and it's also high bounce as well. When I put the 50 in the bag, I hit it around 115 yards with a full shot. I have found that I can pull the 50 and just use my PW for those shots without effecting me on the course.

I wish there was an easy what's best set up. I'm pretty much set through the bag (unless the new Classic Custom weasels in there), except for my wedges. I used to be a pretty good wedge player and then I started tinkering. Now I just seem lost. I started with the 48,52,56,60 wedge set up, then got new irons with a 46 pw, trying to keep the 4* I went 46,50,54,58 but it seemed I was struggling with my distance really bad. Now I just seem lost as what to do. Go back to 52,56,60 or bend my irons 2 degrees strong the play a gw 48 the play a 52,56,60 or go 48, 52, 58 or 48,54,60 o man so many options now my head is really spinning lol

I was carrying rocketbladez 4 - AW.

The PW is 45* and the AW is 50*.

However, I always used a 52, 56, & 60* also.

I have removed the rocketbladez AW from my bag and I'm back to a 52*. It's a 7 degree gap which equates to about 17 yard gap in my PW to my 52*.

I really needed a good 100 to 105 yard club and the 52* is perfect for me. I was hitting hte 50* a little too long.

Strange I have 2 wedges a 52 for 75-100 and everything else less than 75 is my 56. I use that club for sand shots, chipping ,flops you name it . If im less that 75 yrds its my trusy ole 56

Wasn't getting any use out of my 60, so I picked up a 58 Bridgestone J40. My thinking is the variable bounce will make it versatile enough to use out of the sand, and 60 yards and in. Now I'm having trouble deciding on what to do with the rest. My GW is 49, and SW is 55. I don't want to mess with my GW as it's my favorite club, but I'm thinking either a 52 or 54 to replace the SW. I may start with bending it to 54, and seeing how the gaps look. My hunch is that it won't be enough and I'll have to find a 52. Currently hit the 55 around 80 yards, and the GW 100-105. I'd like to tighten that up a bit.

I use a 45* PW, 50* Vokey Gap, and 56* Vokey Sand with the multi-surface sole grind.

Thought about picking up a Lob, but I like opening up the 56* a little and it forces me o learn more shots and have better distance control.

I've played a few combinations in the past, I used to play a 54* & 60* pair when I played off of a 48* when I played Bridgestone J36 irons. Last season I used a 52*, 56*, & 60* with the Nike VR Pro Blades. This season I am going with a 52* & 58* with the Callaway set. I found that I can play any shot I want to with this set up and have an extra long club for versatility with tee shots.

I play the R11 PW and AW. Those are 45* and 50*. Then I have a 55* SW and a 60* LW. I like the way these games work. About 10 yards between the PW and LW and 15 yards between the SW and LW. I like have a 60* wedge because that is the club I prefer out of bunkers and for flop shots. The 55* is very good for chips around the green. This set up is what I used last year and will be using again this year.

Due to the wacky way Callaway did my Berthas I carry a Wedge to split my 10 and W clubs and a SW.

I really feel the average golfer has to many wedges in there bag. It creates to many options. My sort game improved last year when I got rid of the 3 wedge set up today wedge set up. Either get the ball in the air or keep it low and get it rolling. I fully believe that more amatuers should chip and pitch more with a pw or 9i and less with a gw-sw.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Back